Looking for an opinion on upgrading my gpu

Sagpat30
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

best bet would be to get a used 980ti or 1070 since they are effectively the same in terms of gaming performance. SLI is not recommended as many games dont support it outright, or support it properly so scaling is always a problem and introduces a whole host of other scenarios and problems at times. 

Hey guys, I recently got a 3440x1440 ultrawide, and as nice as it is my single 780 seems to struggle with running it. I'm trying to get this working as long as I can till I make a new build in a couple years so I'm not really looking to go out and buy a 2080ti or something. I mostly play AAA games, and have absolutely no problem playing on less details bc there's not enough vram, In case that is important. 

My options are

A. Buy a second 780 and use them in SLI($90 USD)

B. Buy a used 980ti 

C. Buy a used 1070 (the 980ti and 1070 are basically the same right? Is there anything inherently better about one than the other?)

Thanks for reading, and for any ideas anyone comes up with!

Edit: I currently have a i7-3770k and 16gb of ram, the only thing in the pcie lanes is my GTX 780 if  that matters too

Edited by Sagpat30
Possibly important information

best bet would be to get a used 980ti or 1070 since they are effectively the same in terms of gaming performance. SLI is not recommended as many games dont support it outright, or support it properly so scaling is always a problem and introduces a whole host of other scenarios and problems at times. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Thanks ?  I figured that'd be the best way to go but I just needed to be sure since the SLI thread got me a little confused on if it's actually worth it?