Testing i9-9700k open box

Tusci

Hi everyone! The micro center near me has a real good open box deal on a i9-9700k. It’s like $336 with manufacturer warranty and microcenter’s 15 day return policy (which is very good from what I’ve read/heard). Is there any reliable way of testing it to check for red flags? If anything I might consider adding micro center’s two year warranty on it (which is only $25 so still cheaper than their brand new price). 

Red flags as in what?  Intel Burn Test will put the most heat into it to check your thermals.  All your games/3D Marks will show you your stability.  If you're this worried, because it's an open box already though, i wouldn't bother.  You'll be forever worrying about it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

7 minutes ago, Tusci said:

Hi everyone! The micro center near me has a real good open box deal on a i9-9700k. It’s like $336 with manufacturer warranty and microcenter’s 15 day return policy (which is very good from what I’ve read/heard). Is there any reliable way of testing it to check for red flags? If anything I might consider adding micro center’s two year warranty on it (which is only $25 so still cheaper than their brand new price). 

Test with cinebench and then compare score with other stock 9700k on youtube

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

get the 2y warranty. What mobo are you planning? you dont get the 30$ off combo sadly with open box.

33 minutes ago, Tusci said:

Warranty always a trap, don't
If the cpu is good when you test it, then it will last long

26 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

because it's an open box already though, i wouldn't bother.  You'll be forever worrying about it

loll this is true hehe

I would just monitor the clock speed and then cinebench it or/and stress test it and see results
If all fine, then it's good. IF not, you return within 15 days, No need to buy warranty etc..

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

You don't need microcentre's warranty, intel already has warranty on their CPUs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, SpiralTTGL said:

pretty hard to kill a cpu, specifically from intel since it has no pins

Some shop I worked for I would just dissemble PCs nonstop like old tower from schools, when they update 2000 PCs they give away the old to us, an d I would test, repair, etc..

CPUs ? Hundreds just thrown in a wood containor one on each others, no protection, just a huge pile of like 100 cpus all on each others, in a warehouse where there is ton of dust etc.. 

Never had one failed when using it for another computer and I did repair/change the cpu probably like 500-1000 computers, then I found a better job :P 

The thing that comes to mind is that someone was binning CPUs and perhaps bought several 9700K CPUs and kept the best.  If there isn't any physical damage then I would question how they went about their binning process and whether they used TOO MUCH voltage.  The way it would present as a problem is the CPU would then require more and more voltage for stability.  That usually doesn't happen until many months of excessive voltage though so if they were in fact binning retail CPUs to find the best then I doubt they used excessive voltage long enough to harm the CPU.  

So with that said -- to test I would overclock the CPU within the reported successful parameters of others.  I think I saw some 9900K folks reported 5.0GHz at 1.28V, but how that translates to a 9700K I am not certain.  If the CPU you purchased doesn't fall within the successful range that others reported then it might be bad or more likely it is just a weaker example of a 9700K and you could return and try your luck with another one.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

24 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Red flags as in what?  Intel Burn Test will put the most heat into it to check your thermals.  All your games/3D Marks will show you your stability.  If you're this worried, because it's an open box already though, i wouldn't bother.  You'll be forever worrying about it

I guess you’re right haha. But I’ll do some stress tests to see if there are any significant problems and return it if there are. 

20 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

I would just monitor the clock speed and then cinebench it or/and stress test it and see results

If all fine, then it's good. IF not, you return within 15 days,

No need to buy warranty etc..

That seems like the idea. Thank you and everyone else!