I'm downloading drivers. What is the "SATA Floppy Image"?

text mode drivers for the sata controller - allows you to install operating systems like Windows 2003 or other operating systems that may not have SATA drivers inside the installation media (you can put these drivers inside a installation dvd using something like nLite for example) or you can put them on a floppy disk or usb stick and when asked by the OS setup, you can give the drivers.

if you're using newer operating systems like Windows 10, you won't need those.

as for lan, you'll want the big package ... that's more or less a big package with tons of drivers for A LOT of intel made ethernet cards and the installer will automatically install only the drivers your ethernet chip requires. The zip also contains drivers for Linux, FreeBSD, Windows CE, even DOS ... not just Windows

It's the same thinking as with video card drivers ... you download a 500MB setup that has the drivers for all cards made in the last 10 years or something like that.

The smaller stuff... I don't know what that is, could be some stupid intel utility or something, you can launch that executable and it should tell you right away what it is and cancel the install if you don't want it.

// edit: ah, as nick name says the smaller one could be for the intel wireless. Anyway, just download and run it and cancel the install if you feel you don't need it.

29 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

I have the following motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H370M-ITXac/index.asp#Download

Does anyone know what the "SATA Floppy Image" is?

Less important question, does anyone know the difference between the two Lan drivers on that page? I'm using wifi but I'm curious.

The LAN drivers are for separate devices.  The LAN NIC and the wireless device.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

The LAN drivers are for separate devices.  The LAN NIC and the wireless device.  

Oh that makes sense. But then what is the "wireless lan driver" on the page for? It says it requires a specific windows update and when I look it up it says it's for Windows 7. So I guess it's a separate driver just for people on Windows 7 with issues or something?

11 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

Oh that makes sense. But then what is the "wireless lan driver" on the page for? It says it requires a specific windows update and when I look it up it says it's for Windows 7. So I guess it's a separate driver just for people on Windows 7 with issues or something?

Oh I didn't notice the two LAN drivers with different file sizes.  I thought you were asking about the wireless LAN driver listed lower down.  My apologies.

If I had to guess I would assume one is the entire driver package and the smaller might be a proprietary patch?  Honestly, I would download both and then read the readme.  

Edit:

PS

I prefer to get my LAN driver directly from Intel.  Board manufacturers are usually many revisions behind.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

Oh I didn't notice the two LAN drivers with different file sizes.  I thought you were asking about the wireless LAN driver listed lower down.  My apologies.

If I had to guess I would assume one is the entire driver package and the smaller might be a proprietary patch?  Honestly, I would download both and then read the readme.  

Turns out the small one is the ethernet driver installed. And the larger one is some suite of extra features.

What I find weird is that there is only one wireless driver and it says it requires an update that was released for Windows 7 (hotfix kb3125574).

9 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

Turns out the small one is the ethernet driver installed. And the larger one is some suite of extra features.

What I find weird is that there is only one wireless driver and it says it requires an update that was released for Windows 7 (hotfix kb3125574).

Yeah, that's why I prefer to get my NIC driver directly from Intel.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Yeah, that's why I prefer to get my NIC driver directly from Intel.  

Oh righttt, the onboard wifi adapter on this motherboard is by intel.

Awesome, I found this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59485/Wireless-Networking and under Windows 10 there's a wireless driver package.

2 minutes ago, Jaquavius said:

Oh righttt, the onboard wifi adapter on this motherboard is by intel.

Awesome, I found this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59485/Wireless-Networking and under Windows 10 there's a wireless driver package.

If you ever have questions what your device is you can go into Device Manager and check.