Windows 8 to 10 upgrade gone wrong

CarlBar

Just started the win 8 to 10 upgrade utility from inside the OS and something has gone wrong. After the initial stage it restarted and now won't go past bios, it gets as far as the flashing underscore and then cycles back to bios screen  I left it for about 5 minutes and no change.

Gonna hit up Google but thought I'd get the ball rolling. Note I have no recovery disk as I couldn't create one and no win 8 8nstall disk either. Have my code. Mostly don't want to lose all the stuff I have installed nd everything.

I've got some backups but restoring fr9m them would be a major pain. I'm hoping there an alternative fix to doing a clean install ad there's ungodly amounts of stuff I'd have to move around and reinstall. Note just tried my mb boot select and wi does boot manager does appear as an option. But clicking it make the boot menu flicker for a second and then go back to how it was. I've tried select each drive in turn ad the boot drive with no success. It produces identical results. I suspect it's somehow trashed the mbr. 

21 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I've got some backups but restoring fr9m them would be a major pain. I'm hoping there an alternative fix to doing a clean install ad there's ungodly amounts of stuff I'd have to move around and reinstall. Note just tried my mb boot select and wi does boot manager does appear as an option. But clicking it make the boot menu flicker for a second and then go back to how it was. I've tried select each drive in turn ad the boot drive with no success. It produces identical results. I suspect it's somehow trashed the mbr. 

I need you to Quote me so I know you replied.

In a nutshell that would mean whatever drive/partition you selected didn't have the proper files for boot. If that would be your SSD/HDD and you don't have Legacy & UEFI boot options (only one or the other) then you won't be able to boot the drive without recovery.

You can try grabbing a recovery disk or setup an .ISO on a thumb drive and try recovering the boot partition but I can't say what success that would have. When something like this happens my preference is to nuke it assuming the data is on a different drive.

Not to mention what you likely have is a 1/2 installed upgrade. your best interest would probably be to wipe it clean and install clean W10. Your product key should activate fine.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I need you to Quote me so I know you replied.

In a nutshell that would mean whatever drive/partition you selected didn't have the proper files for boot. If that would be your SSD/HDD and you don't have Legacy & UEFI boot options (only one or the other) then you won't be able to boot the drive without recovery.

You can try grabbing a recovery disk or setup an .ISO on a thumb drive and try recovering the boot partition but I can't say what success that would have. When something like this happens my preference is to nuke it assuming the data is on a different drive.

Not to mention what you likely have is a 1/2 installed upgrade. your best interest would probably be to wipe it clean and install clean W10. Your product key should activate fine.

Sorry working from phone and yeah some net reading suggests the uefi is borked. Ughhh I even have a tool for fixing that on the pc but only got one usb so don't have it avalibile. Gonna go round to a relatives I  the morning and try and fix it by using his system to grab the tool off a drive.

14 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Sorry working from phone and yeah some net reading suggests the uefi is borked. Ughhh I even have a tool for fixing that on the pc but only got one usb so don't have it avalibile. Gonna go round to a relatives I  the morning and try and fix it by using his system to grab the tool off a drive.

Does your motherboard support UEFI boot? Did you try both Legacy and UEFI boot?

Yes and yes.un fact it was apparently set to first boot from Windows boot manager and then from the appropriate drive.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does your motherboard support UEFI boot? Did you try both Legacy and UEFI boot?

See above, also doing this because I've got new hardware on way, got a win 20 copy coming with that ad it's a big hardware change. Would access to an actual win 10 disk make it easier to fix, or will it like the usb only allow z complete wipe. Note the usb recognises an upgrade in progress, it just doesn't offer troubleshooting options.

P.s pardon spelling, phone :(.

3 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

See above, also doing this because I've got new hardware on way, got a win 20 copy coming with that ad it's a big hardware change. Would access to an actual win 10 disk make it easier to fix, or will it like the usb only allow z complete wipe. Note the usb recognises an upgrade in progress, it just doesn't offer troubleshooting options.

A USB version is just an emulated disk so both do the exact same thing just that one is more convenient for the consumer.

Sigh. Whatever happened to the days when OS install disks had troubleshooting features.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

A USB version is just an emulated disk so both do the exact same thing just that one is more convenient for the consumer.

Hmm when I plug the drive into my relative's system his win 10 can't see my drive but my system recognises it no problem...

2 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Hmm when I plug the drive into my relative's system his win 10 can't see my drive but my system recognises it no problem...

Sometimes that's a general error. If you checked Disk Management or DISKPART it'd probably show up. If it didn't then something else is wrong. Do you need their machine to create the bootable USB W10 disk?

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Sometimes that's a general error. If you checked Disk Management or DISKPART it'd probably show up. If it didn't then something else is wrong. Do you need their machine to create the bootable USB W10 disk?

Okay got some good new, some bad news, and some ugly news.

Bad news first, still haven't got my original OS working.

Good news, installed a temp copy to a spare HDD.

Ugly news. Actually didn't do it to a spare but to one of my existing ones, (springy cable half plugged itself back in which was enough). Fortunately nearly everything on it was backed up somewhere else. Lost a lot of Surviving Mars and TWWII modding work and my 99% complete lego marvel superheroes 2 save. Amongst i imagine a few other things. But overall i've got a functioning OS for the time being.

I think the no detect error was related to his optane module taking SATA slots offline as swapping slots eventually got us working.

The old disk itself appears to be intact and is 100% accessible. However everla utilities show the main partition as unallocated, (Win 10 recognises it as a usable drive no problem), and there's a couple of unknown partitans on there that only show in tools. My guess is the upgrade process segregated everything not windows off to one side, but the existing win 8 install in one location and the new win 10 in another and was supposed to do the bootup and unify everything back up. WHich is where it appears the UEFI got ganked.

Not sure how to go about fixing that TBH. Any idea's?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Are we still looking to do some type of recovery or do we want to do a clean install?

If i can get the OS working on the old drive that would be the ideal. Basically fix the hangup and let the upgrade continue on the old drive as it keeps all my settings and program installs from all over the place.

The main thing is i've now got a working temp install i can use to work from.

10 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

If i can get the OS working on the old drive that would be the ideal. Basically fix the hangup and let the upgrade continue on the old drive as it keeps all my settings and program installs from all over the place.

The main thing is i've now got a working temp install i can use to work from.

The fact that you say the primary partition is showing up as unallocated is concerning. Boot up the thumb drive and chose recovery. I'm not sure how much I can help there. I've never used recovery.

allready tried that, says it can't help. Was going to try it with a win 8.1 thumb drive. Just not sure if that will be any better.