Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Completely Unable to remove Write Protection from Micro SD

I recently picked up an S9 as part of an upgrade deal with my carrier. I also bought a Micro SD card that stopped working in my S9 (I can view it on my PC with an adapter (yes the "lock switch" is off) when I transferred 2000+ memes to it from my older ASUS Zenfone Maxplus. I've done the Regedit route and made sure the Hex value for "write protect" is 0x0-. But that hasn't work either. Using software tools doesn't work because of the write protection and CMD has working either. 

In CMD I ran the following:
>disk part
>list disk
>select disk 1
>attributes disk clear readonly
>clean (but I get error: (diskpart has encountered an error the request could not be performed because of an i/o error)

So I tried the following:
>chkdsk : D (which came up clear but disk tool "check for errors" says it found errors and needs to repair the drive but can't because of write protection)

I'm really out of ideas now, I'm still trying to troubleshoot this but I seem completely unable to clear the write protection. I just want to format the whole thing to start over. Is it time to exchange it for another one? Is there something else I can do?

How old is the micro SD card? I've been told when thumb drives and/or SD cards are dying they'll enter a read only state to preserve the data.

If using CMD can't remove the read protection then you might have to do some real firmware hacking to write to it again.

SD cards have become so cheap today I'd replace it at this point.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

How old is the micro SD card? I've been told when thumb drives and/or SD cards are dying they'll enter a read only state to preserve the data.

If using CMD can't remove the read protection then you might have to do some real firmware hacking to write to it again.

SD cards have become so cheap today I'd replace it at this point.

Its brand new, so I can get it exchanged I think, BitDefender has a tool called File Shredder that I'm trying now

1 minute ago, D1ma said:

Its brand new, so I can get it exchanged I think, BitDefender has a tool called File Shredder that I'm trying now

DOA is always a possibility. If you exchange it for another and it happens again we'll know something else is the culprit.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

DOA is always a possibility. If you exchange it for another and it happens again we'll know something else is the culprit.

DOA? 

1 minute ago, D1ma said:

DOA? 

Dead on Arrival. Although it worked for a short time and still kind of does so your situation might be more Defective on Arrival.