Used or new graphics card?

Keatonmc

I'm in the process of planning my first PC build and being a noob to the PC building game I was wondering if there are many reliability issues with used parts.  For example, going with a used graphics card would allow me to get a card with higher performance than buying one new.  I'm specifically looking at either a new RTX 2070 or a used GTX 1080Ti. If anyone knows of any posts already talking about this topic could you point me in that direction?

all depends on budget and what you feel comfortable with.
if you are comfortable with buying used, by all means go for it.

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

If you consider the entire spectrum of the used market they are going to be less reliable, but if you get it from authorized dealers (e.g. EVGA B-stock) I'd say the reliability of used and new are about the same. My current rig has a 970 I bought secondhand almost 3 years ago; it still works fine. I don't overclock the card though.

At the end of the day, get what you're most comfortable with and with the least consequence should things go wrong.

Even though I've never had to have anything I've ever owned replaced or repaired under a warranty program, I still feel more comfortable buying stuff with some sort of a warranty.  That being said, many people have had fantastic successes by going used.  I'd just advise against buying with cash from a stranger.  You never really know what you're getting at that point.  If you go used, go through a third party like eBay to make sure you are protected if the seller isn't 100% accurate or honest about the product.  Amazon and Newegg also have "refurbished" items, those will usually come with a limited warranty and can generally get you paying somewhere lower than brand new, but on the higher end of used.  

7 hours ago, campy said:

I have dozens of eBay GPUs ranging from GeForce 4's and voodoos to GTX 10 series stuff, super hot cards, super low power cards, cards that were likely mined on

all were fuzzy donutted overclocked for at least a day each (the ones that can even fuzzy donut at least)

never had any issues

ive been using a used 970 in my main pc that I bought and never bothered to repaste or anything and it's fine

used stuff is generally a pretty safe buy, just pay attention to the listings and the sellers

IMG_3047.JPG

did you just day 3dfx voodoo's ;)   i love those cards, still have a v2 sli setup running

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.