Is it time to upgrade anything?

yangster1997

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC since I recently picked up a 1440p 144hz monitor. I usually play Overwatch and having the 144hz has been great, but there are many times where I would notice my frames even at the lowest settings with my GTX 970 dip as low as 40 frames sometimes. With that being said my main part to upgrade would probably be towards a 1080ti since I heard that should be more than adequate. (Also since I heard 2080s or 2080ti's are not worth their value right now) I was also wondering if I should also upgrade any other components right now since it is Black Friday/Cyber Monday this weekend. I'm looking to play some Triple A titles as well like Anthem or hopefully for a later release for a PC version of RDR2 at reasonable settings. I don't expect max settings @60+ fps, although it would be nice if it could lol, but reasonably high settings. I also do open multiple tabs open for maybe watching twitch while waiting in between rounds of Overwatch. (but not anymore since my game suffers incredibly if I do)

Here are my current specs:

Dual Monitor set up: Main Monitor (1440p 144hz) Second monitor (IPS 1080p 60hz)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz

RAM: 16gb (not sure of clock speeds or name of them though lol)

GPU: EVGA SSC GTX 970

Motherboard: Maximus Formula VI

PSU: Corsair CX 450 (Bronze I think?)

Storage: 2 Samsung 860 Evo in raid 0 (256gb each)

Components I may want to upgrade:

CPU: Intel Core i5 8600k

Motherboard: Not sure what Z-series board I would get because I don't know anything about shopping for Motherboards

GPU: GTX 1080ti (probably the MSI red version)

Case: Define R6

I don't know if there are any other components worth mentioning, but these are all the components I have at the moment. I am talking to someone as of right now to try and buy a MSI GTX 1080ti. Gonna try to get it for $570 but it seems like it's going to stick at $600.

Any words of advice would be of huge help. Whether it's to upgrade or not to upgrade please let me know! If parts are adequate or not good enough please also let me know! I am not too knowledgeable about this stuff so anything helps.

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

I would get a 1080 ti but I’d probably get a better power supply too because 450w is the best for a 1080 ti

22 minutes ago, Owen the Trusty man said:

I would get a 1080 ti but I’d probably get a better power supply too because 450w is the best for a 1080 ti

Do you mean it isn't the best? Sorry I just want to clarify

I would upgrade to a 750 watt minimum,     with 850 you would even be pretty much future proof if you don't plan on going SLI 

1 minute ago, cr33p said:

I would upgrade to a 750 watt minimum,     with 850 you would even be pretty much future proof if you don't plan on going SLI 

Are there any PSU you would recommend? I think once I commit to buying new PSU and GPU. I'm just going to go with buying a new case too then.

certainly,  there are great deals in Canada, ( if your Canadian too )  https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438133&ignorebbr=1     There is a link to the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G1+,     and at that price(129+tax) its hard to say no,     I'm in the middle of my second build and  i really like the Phanteks cases,   check out the Enthoo pro  ( my first case) and im thinking of going with it for this build too. 

2 minutes ago, cr33p said:

certainly,  there are great deals in Canada, ( if your Canadian too )  https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438133&ignorebbr=1     There is a link to the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G1+,     and at that price(129+tax) its hard to say no,     I'm in the middle of my second build and  i really like the Phanteks cases,   check out the Enthoo pro  ( my first case) and im thinking of going with it for this build too. 

Im in the US and it seems even cheaper for us at $79.99. So maybe I may as well pull the trigger on this. Our msrp is priced at $149.99 So this really seems like a good option.

wow! thats 105.50 CAN    I would jump on that deal!

21 minutes ago, cr33p said:

wow! thats 105.50 CAN    I would jump on that deal!

Just a quick question though. I feel as though 850 watts is too much no? I went to pc part picker and all my components came out to 382W. Thats with the new 1080ti accounted for.

Pardon me, i worded my post incorrectly,  you would be good with a 750 watt,    but 850 would basically future proof you, even if you went SLI in the future. 

and don't buy a PSU unless its atleast gold rated.    always been good advice