Bad Vega 64 Performance!!

Khader87

Hi, 

I have asus strix vega 64, i7 4790, 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ. 

My GPU seema not to be fully functioning, gpu usage is low, gpu clock is lower than the max which is around 1550mhz as you can see from the screenshots below, even wattage consumption is way low, 80watts.

Temps are fine, drivers are up to date. 

Games with issues, AC odyssey, far cry 5, company of heroes 2 and vampyr. 

Running shadow of the tomb raider and frostpunk are running well. 

Are all of the above games badly optimized! 

IMG_20181122_174508.jpg

IMG_20181122_174154.jpg

IMG_20181122_173539.jpg

Try overclocking to see if that helps. I am not familiar with AMD GPU's. Sorry!

What resolution are you running at? If it's 1080p you might be bottlenecked by the cpu, so cehck your cpu utilization.

System specs? What res was those games and benchmark run at? Also, what card was in your rig before upgrading to the VEGA 64?

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

AC is real tough on the CPU, I know for sure. Haswell is a valiant holdout, but don't forget how old it is.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Check your wattman profiles.  Open the AMD Radeon Settings.  Under Gaming in the right corner is the "Add" tab, click on that and select "Scan" to make sure all your games are showing up.  Then under "All Profiles" click on "Check Compatibility." 

Then under gaming, go into "Global Settings." set as many options as you can to "Use Application Settings"

Still in Gaming Global, click on the middle tab "Global Wattman" set profile to Custom with the slider.  Then scroll all the way to the bottom turn fan speed to manual, and move the sliders however you want. Just nudging them the smallest amount will suffice.  Then click "apply" at the top. 

I had a very similar problem with my Vega 56 when I first got it, and for some strange reason...this fixed it.  

4 hours ago, monjessenstein said:

What resolution are you running at? If it's 1080p you might be bottlenecked by the cpu, so cehck your cpu utilization.

2560x1080, cpu utilization is always hoovering around 50% to 70%

4 hours ago, GamerDude said:

System specs? What res was those games and benchmark run at? Also, what card was in your rig before upgrading to the VEGA 64?

2560x1080, i7 4790, 16GB RAM 1600mhz. 

I had rx580, had similar issues as well. 

1 hour ago, pstarlord said:

Check your wattman profiles.  Open the AMD Radeon Settings.  Under Gaming in the right corner is the "Add" tab, click on that and select "Scan" to make sure all your games are showing up.  Then under "All Profiles" click on "Check Compatibility." 

Then under gaming, go into "Global Settings." set as many options as you can to "Use Application Settings"

Still in Gaming Global, click on the middle tab "Global Wattman" set profile to Custom with the slider.  Then scroll all the way to the bottom turn fan speed to manual, and move the sliders however you want. Just nudging them the smallest amount will suffice.  Then click "apply" at the top. 

I had a very similar problem with my Vega 56 when I first got it, and for some strange reason...this fixed it.  

Will try those settings and let you know. Thanks. 

It may be that your coreclock is going back when the game doesnt require more fps you can set the p6 or p7 state to min to always make it that clock