SilverStone SG10 Fan Config

shahaan
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
1 hour ago, shahaan said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I’m seeing temps max’ing out at 76C for the GTX1060 and 53C for the E3-1225. This is after running F@H for 12+ hours in a room that is around 25C ambient. Also, the 3x 92mm intake fans haven’t come in yet so there’s dead air below the GPU for now. I’m sure GPU temps will improve once those three fans are installed.

I’m not able to get a photo of my build right now but the attached photo shows the same internals except mine is a 1060 instead of the 1070. My GPU is also an inch lower.

6857B1C6-7AA1-4ABF-828F-1B96E8B8FC97.jpeg

I agree with WoodenMarker on this. Your temps are already pretty good. I'm not sure if more intake will have wanted effect. 65C max on GPU would be really good result.

Hello!

I would like to ask the community's advice on optimal fan configuration for my PC. I have a SilverStone SG10 case with a Xeon E3-1225V5 CPU, GTX 1060 6GB GPU and 32GB DDR4 RAM. These components produce a decent amount of heat, especially when running Folding@Home 24/7. I read about different types of fan configurations (e.g. negative/positive pressure) but each approach seems to have its supporters and critics. It seems that the approach to follow depends on the specific scenario and there is no single "best", as it is with most things in life. To simplify things, I took the case manufacturer's recommendation of positive pressure as a starting point. I am planning to configure the fans as follows and have attached images for clarity.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions. Live long and prosper.

FRONT

- Fanless vent (PSU fan IN (80mm) sits behind the vent w/filter)

- Case fan IN (180mm) w/filter

RIGHT

- Case fan OUT (80mm)

LEFT

- 3x Case fan IN (92mm) w/filter

- Fanless vent OUT (I assume due to positive pressure)

BACK

- Case fan OUT (120mm)

INSIDE

- NH-U12S (120mm) cooler on CPU oriented to blow air toward the back

silverstone_sg10_back_fans.jpg

silverstone_sg10_front_fans.jpg

What kind of temps you are getting? Can you post pic without panels to see your config? (or do I need to Google them)

I've heard that for smaller or cramped builds more exhaust is better. Intakes are best when they feed directly to components needing most of the cooling. So GPU and CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Negative pressure is better for cooling and prevents hot spots from building up whereas positive pressure with filtered intakes reduces dust accumulation.

What you have in mind seems fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What kind of temps you are getting? Can you post pic without panels to see your config? (or do I need to Google them)

I've heard that for smaller or cramped builds more exhaust is better. Intakes are best when they feed directly to components needing most of the cooling. So GPU and CPU.

Thanks for your reply. 

I’m seeing temps max’ing out at 76C for the GTX1060 and 53C for the E3-1225. This is after running F@H for 12+ hours in a room that is around 25C ambient. Also, the 3x 92mm intake fans haven’t come in yet so there’s dead air below the GPU for now. I’m sure GPU temps will improve once those three fans are installed.

I’m not able to get a photo of my build right now but the attached photo shows the same internals except mine is a 1060 instead of the 1070. My GPU is also an inch lower.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Negative pressure is better for cooling and prevents hot spots from building up whereas positive pressure with filtered intakes reduces dust accumulation.

What you have in mind seems fine. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I’m inclined towards keeping dust out so I’ll go with positive pressure. 

1 hour ago, shahaan said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I agree with WoodenMarker on this. Your temps are already pretty good. I'm not sure if more intake will have wanted effect. 65C max on GPU would be really good result.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

39 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That's good to know. I'll see what difference, if any, is made by the three additional intake fans once they arrive next week.

• 2 weeks later...

With 3x92mm fans installed and all fans set at a steady 60% duty cycle plus 2x GPU cooler fans (Zotac 1060 AMP) running at 40-50% duty cycle I am seeing GPU temps around 58-65C in a room at 22-27C ambient while folding 24/7. CPU folding is off so that helps. Definitely not a whisper quiet rig by any means but the gentle whoosh doesn't bother me. Thanks again for the advice and comments Logicaldrm and Woodenmarker.