Going to buy a Surface Laptop 2

About to pull the trigger on a Surface Laptop 2 for AU$1,198 (Plat, 8GB, i5, 128GB) and thought i'd check in here with you guys before i do it.  Any insights would be appreciated, i watched the recent review Linus did and im convinced its a decent buy but i just like to get a 2nd opinion from another human before i make a large tech purchase lol 

why? what are you using it for? any specific reason to go for a surface laptop 2?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Nothing in particular, just shopped around a lot for devices with the same build quality, functionality and price and settled on this.  I guess i was hoping someone who already owns one would chime in and recommend the purchase or perhaps warn me of any issues they may have had?  

27 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Surface Laptop 2

Do you really need a tablet and stylus? May I know your usage, preferred max weight and min battery life? Any other special requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Nope, don't need a tablet+stylus that's why im going for the laptop 2 as opposed to the similarly priced Surface Pro etc. 

I have a decent gaming rig, 2x monitors 7700+1080, not especially old and it still does the job for me but i want something for maybe watching Netflix in bed, browsing forums/reddit etc.  The last few weeks i have been smashing Red Dead Redemption 2 in the lounge room and become frustrated with googling the locations of treasures+legendary animals on my phone so that would be another reason to have a laptop.  Also, i can leave Bnet/Steam open so if friends want me to come play they can reach me there and i can swap to the desk as needed. 

35 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

If you are looking for a non serviceable laptop that will only last 2-3 years go for it.

Honestly, most tech devices these days (unless you can repair them yourself) are disposable, the cost of replacement parts+labor seem to always be so high that replacing your device is usually the best way to go.  Having said that, i really look after my devices, i only recently stopped using my iPhone 5 and my old laptop (HP) that died lasted me 6 years lol 

5 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Nope, don't need a tablet+stylus that's why im going for the laptop 2 as opposed to the similarly priced Surface Pro etc. 

Oops I thought it's Surface tablet

If you're looking for a regular laptop, I wouldn't get a Surface, anti-consumer product

Kindly answer my question:

5 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

May I know your usage, preferred max weight and min battery life? Any other special requirements?

Also, what's your budget? Any preference on display size and display quality?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

35 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Kindly answer my question:

As i said when you first asked me (you may have missed it).

Its just for casual use for things like Netflix, Reddit, other assorted browsing and also keeping bnet/steam etc open so gaming friends can still contact me when my gaming PC isn't turned on. 

So far as the price and weight requirements go, i don't have any specific price range, $1198 AUD just seemed like a good deal for the Surface Laptop 2 and the reviews i watched online were positive (including the one Linus did).  I only really posted here in the hope that another user had purchased one recently and could provide some insight that's all. 

5 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

As i said when you first asked me (you may have missed it).

Its just for casual use for things like Netflix, Reddit, other assorted browsing and also keeping bnet/steam etc open so gaming friends can still contact me when my gaming PC isn't turned on. 

So far as the price and weight requirements go, i don't have any specific price range, $1198 AUD just seemed like a good deal for the Surface Laptop 2 and the reviews i watched online were positive (including the one Linus did).  I only really posted here in the hope that another user had purchased one recently and could provide some insight that's all. 

It's got a nice screen and nice keyboard. Other than that it is very much your average thin and light with the added bonus of having no way to recover data if the laptop crashes. There is no way to disassemble the laptop without destroying it. If it is anything like the surface laptop its average useful life will be 2 years or so.

There are so many good options that are repairable and will last you longer.