How good an air cooler do i need to match an H80i v2?

Automobili3XF

I've been banging my head around this question the entire afternoon, how good a tower cooler i need to match an H80i v2 in performance?

My Cosmos is not coming back and i decided i wanted to build a pseudo-sleeper PC using a Casetek CK-1018 case and while the case does have a rear 120mm spot to mount the H80i v2 i just don't feel like i should, in my mind its going to create a heat cushion even with my Akasa Piranha fans pushing the air from inside out. Add the fact that the mount is tool-less (you just "snap" the fan on a plastic mount) and it has no holes for screws, although it wouldn't kill me to drill a couple and mount the H80i there.

I'm a huge fan of the utilitarian Hyper 212 form factor and i've been pretty adamant about trying a 212 Turbo when possible, but does it match the H80i V2 or do i need something bigger?

I also like the Thermaltake NiC C5 a lot, what do you guys think about that one?

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/H80iGT/6.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h80i_gt_review,11.html

Those reviews might give you some insight..

The closest air coolers to H80i V2 on i7-4770 and i7-4790 at 1.3 volts are NH-D15 and Reveen Okeanos

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

The H80i v2 is easily better than the Hyper 212 Turbo and NiC C5.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

The closest air coolers to H80i V2 on i7-4770 and i7-4790 at 1.3 volts are NH-D15 and Reveen Okeanos

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H80i v2 is easily better than the Hyper 212 Turbo and NiC C5.

So i underestimated the H80i quite a lot it seems, hmm.

So i'm out to find a big tower cooler, i wonder if the Akasa Venom Medusa is right up there with the big guys...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

4 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

i wonder if the Akasa Venom Medusa is right up there with the big guys...

Well, it's on the list. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well, it's on the list. 

Took me a little while to notice it, thankfully its right up there!

Really easy to pick up one of those around here, it costs less than half the price of an NH-D14

On 11/21/2018 at 8:53 PM, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I've been banging my head around this question the entire afternoon, how good a tower cooler i need to match an H80i v2 in performance?

My Cosmos is not coming back and i decided i wanted to build a pseudo-sleeper PC using a Casetek CK-1018 case and while the case does have a rear 120mm spot to mount the H80i v2 i just don't feel like i should, in my mind its going to create a heat cushion even with my Akasa Piranha fans pushing the air from inside out. Add the fact that the mount is tool-less (you just "snap" the fan on a plastic mount) and it has no holes for screws, although it wouldn't kill me to drill a couple and mount the H80i there.

I'm a huge fan of the utilitarian Hyper 212 form factor and i've been pretty adamant about trying a 212 Turbo when possible, but does it match the H80i V2 or do i need something bigger?

I also like the Thermaltake NiC C5 a lot, what do you guys think about that one?

Some high end noctuas can dethrone some liquid coolers but if your going for looks and performance a cooler master MA610P will do the trick, I’ve had mines for almost a year and keeps my Ryzen 5 at a chilly 45C when playing forza which is a EXTREMELY demanding title

8 hours ago, L0G1C said:

Some high end noctuas can dethrone some liquid coolers but if your going for looks and performance a cooler master MA610P will do the trick, I’ve had mines for almost a year and keeps my Ryzen 5 at a chilly 45C when playing forza which is a EXTREMELY demanding title

Yeah, i though about getting the Noctuas, but the price locally is unfortunately too high to be worth a shot. I also took a look at the ROG Edition MA620P, kinda cool but expensive as well, the normal version was even more expensive.

Ended up getting an Akasa Venom Medusa, should arrive in a few days!