Should I upgrade Monitor OR GPU?

Hello peoples, So I have an old-ish Gateway 24" Monitor, It does go to 1920x1080 Resolution, but its 60 hertz. Now I am not sure if i need to upgrade to 144 hertz or not. I am not a huge shooter gamer. I play mostly RTS and Base building games ie Oxygen Not Included, Factorio, etc. But I would like to play shooters rarely, like Fortnite, Pubg. However I currently have an AMD R9 280 3gb card (Not Black Edition). Games these days are coming out where 3gb is like minimum, sometimes not even enough. So i have $200. Basically I can upgrade one or the other, probably in the used/refurbished market. Rest of the system is Msi x99s SLI Plus i7 5820k, 16gb DDR4 memory, Evga 750B Supernova Power supply. I kind of see the benefits or upgrading one or the other. I have watched a ton of videos on these topics, and I would like to hear what anyone has any recommendations and stuff. So if you have a spare minute let me know what you think.

MSI X99S SLI Plus w/ i7 5820k 

16 gb (4x4GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

550LC Aseteck AIO Single Rad

5 minutes ago, boxxykiller said:

Hello peoples, So I have an old-ish Gateway 24" Monitor, It does go to 1920x1080 Resolution, but its 60 hertz. Now I am not sure if i need to upgrade to 144 hertz or not. I am not a huge shooter gamer. I play mostly RTS and Base building games ie Oxygen Not Included, Factorio, etc. But I would like to play shooters rarely, like Fortnite, Pubg. However I currently have an AMD R9 280 3gb card (Not Black Edition). Games these days are coming out where 3gb is like minimum, sometimes not even enough. So i have $200. Basically I can upgrade one or the other, probably in the used/refurbished market. Rest of the system is Msi x99s SLI Plus i7 5820k, 16gb DDR4 memory, Evga 750B Supernova Power supply. I kind of see the benefits or upgrading one or the other. I have watched a ton of videos on these topics, and I would like to hear what anyone has any recommendations and stuff. So if you have a spare minute let me know what you think.

I recommend upgrading the graphics card to a 1060, 580, or a used 1070, 1070ti, 1080.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Ya, but I am super leery of overclocking. If i burn something up, chances are I wont have the money to fix it unless I use my upgrade money to replace it. 

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

Just now, boxxykiller said:

Ya, but I am super leery of overclocking. If i burn something up, chances are I wont have the money to fix it unless I use my upgrade money to replace it. 

Just keep stock voltage, use unigine heaven with afterburner and the worst that can happen is a bsod

Gpu without question, unless you have an absolute rubbish monitor always gpu, if you are a hardcore twitch shooter player an argument could be made but I'd still probably recommend gpu, 280 is pretty old and doubt it could even push 120hz let alone 144 and maintain it in most games.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

And monitor overclocking is even easier

Never tried it. I am a scared little child when it comes to OC'ing anything. I dont even have the OC genie on, on my Mobo lol.

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

So do you believe my PSU can handle the new GPU, and the CPU wont bottleneck the newer GPU?

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

If you don't play shooting games often than the gpu for sure. I played fps games on a 60hz monitor for a long time and I was fine. I ended up getting a high refresh rate monitor later on when I had a pc capable of inputting those kinds of frames. 

Just now, boxxykiller said:

So do you believe my PSU can handle the new GPU, and the CPU wont bottleneck the newer GPU?

Not much bottleneck in gpu heavy and balanced games. The psu can handle even 2 of them if needed.

2 minutes ago, boxxykiller said:

Yes to both. Your cpu and psu are quite good. 

Ok awesome. I literally just bought this PC off of craigslist for $200 cause the person couldn't get it to work. (The GPU wasn't plugged in to the PSU). I am way better at diagnosing issues, than upgrading not sure why that is. Like my brain just kind of lumps over when I try to figure out upgrades.

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

You folks definitely sold me on the GPU, upgrade. If i wait until the first of December (which I might do unless I can find a REALLY good black friday/cyber monday deal on something new) I can come up with another $150 or so. I want to thank EVERYONE here that posted a reply. I do really appreciate it seriously.

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze

https://www.newegg.com/Black-Friday-Sale/EventSaleStore/ID-42?N=100007709 4017 601296377

From this selection, which one would you choose of the 580? I prefer AMD over Nvidia, just personal preference. 

ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

Evga 750w Bronze