Is this even usefull to me ?

GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls

I was asking around about what headphones to get and i guy recommended me the m40x Audio Technica

and a thing called ''Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD'' and looks like this ( image below )

Quite honestly i have no idea what this thing does , i dont know if it boosts my bass or if it gives a cleaner sound or acts like a sound card or waht ever...

Could someone tell me what this thing is usefull for and perhaps if i should just sell it and get sth else?

EDIT: I should mention that i already own both

image.png.ad4593e2300f61a822b9dd96da54eef9.png 

I kinda know what it is, and you probebly dont need it if you have a good mobo in your system.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I kinda know what it is, and you probebly dont need it if you have a good mobo in your system.

Asrock Killer SLI x370

This is a microphone amp, a device for using XLR microphones. It won't be of any use for using headphones with your PC. It can be useful if you want to get an XLR amp.

You don't need an AMP with the M40X headphones, they don't require a ton of power to run on your PC, meaning an AMP (which would otherwise 'boost' the signal) is of no use.

Just connect your headphones to your motherboard and either get rid of the Mic amp (sell it) or keep it if you want to get an XLR mic.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

That's more then enough to drive those headphones. You dont need a external dec/amp for those

soooo its useless...

3 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

soooo its useless...

Exept if you have a xlr microphone or planning on getting one, yeah...

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

That's more then enough to drive those headphones. You dont need a external dec/amp for those

I mean a dec is usually nice for improved sound quality by eliminating noise produced by the electrical components in the computer. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I mean a dec is usually nice for improved sound quality by eliminating noise produced by the electrical components in the computer. 

I agree and disagree with you. Agree on old motherboards, but on the newer "good" ones you have it isolated from the rest of the system. I won't say there isn't any noise from it, but as a semi-audiophile I dont hear it

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

I agree and disagree with you. Agree on old motherboards, but on the newer "good" ones you have it isolated from the rest of the system. I won't say there isn't any noise from it, but as a semi-audiophile I dont hear it

Decs will always be the better solution but if you aren't sensitive to hearing those types of things then I guess it wouldn't matter. I am pretty picky about listening to music and I haven't used a pc yet that doesn't have some form of it while not using a dec. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Decs will always be the better solution but if you aren't sensitive to hearing those types of things then I guess it wouldn't matter. I am pretty picky about listening to music and I haven't used a pc yet that doesn't have some form of it while not using a dec. 

buddy it's DAC not DEC, it stands for Digital to Analog Converter.

to the OP, Generally speaking a nice DAC and Headphone Amplifier will improve the sound quality, but it's more about finding a DAC with the "sound" you like, some DAC's are known for sounding "richer" others more "natural". the only time you NEED a headphone amp is if you plug in the headphones and they can't get loud enough regardless of how high you turn up the volume, thats when you NEED a headphone amp, if you HAVE to go to like say 3/4 volume to get normal (not blaring) volume levels then a DAC/AMP combo is worth considering, beyond that it's purely about being an "audio snob" and just wanting a certain sound signature from your headphones (I use an Fiio E17k DAC/Amp to drive my HD598's because otherwie I need 3/4 volume for reasonable listening levels and I like the sound signature better).