Need some help on a graphics card upgrade

So I was going to upgrade my 1070 to a 1080ti but due to the fact that nvda stopped production on them they are very expensive now and I am not sure if I should get one. At first I was thinking on upgrading to a 2080 instead because the retail prices are similar but then I had an idea. 1070 cards are very very cheap theses days and I was wondering if I should get a second one and just do SLI. It doesn't seem to bad of an idea because the cards are so cheap and I will also be getting value out of my current card. Some people say that SLI will only just make one graphics card work for some games but I mostly play overwatch, rainbow six siege, and some destiny 2. Does SLI work for those games. Anyway, if anybody has any tips on what I should do for an upgrade please let me know.

PS, is it worth getting computer parts on black Friday/cyber Monday

Thanks in advance

14 minutes ago, ZubZubs said:

So I was going to upgrade my 1070 to a 1080ti but due to the fact that nvda stopped production on them they are very expensive now and I am not sure if I should get one. At first I was thinking on upgrading to a 2080 instead because the retail prices are similar but then I had an idea. 1070 cards are very very cheap theses days and I was wondering if I should get a second one and just do SLI. It doesn't seem to bad of an idea because the cards are so cheap and I will also be getting value out of my current card. Some people say that SLI will only just make one graphics card work for some games but I mostly play overwatch, rainbow six siege, and some destiny 2. Does SLI work for those games. Anyway, if anybody has any tips on what I should do for an upgrade please let me know.

PS, is it worth getting computer parts on black Friday/cyber Monday

Thanks in advance

SLI pretty much is waste of power. If you want to upgrade right away, buy a better card or save that money and buy a better card later

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

My first question to this question is always this: What do you not like about your current card?  I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, but just don't upgrade for the sake up upgrading, unless you've just got money burning a hole in your pocket.  The 1070 is no slouch of a card, and can easily handle all the games you listed.  I can't imagine your gaming experience would get $600 - $1200 better if you picked up a 1080ti or a 2080.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 1:30 AM, pstarlord said:

My first question to this question is always this: What do you not like about your current card?  I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, but just don't upgrade for the sake up upgrading, unless you've just got money burning a hole in your pocket.  The 1070 is no slouch of a card, and can easily handle all the games you listed.  I can't imagine your gaming experience would get $600 - $1200 better if you picked up a 1080ti or a 2080.

The reason for an upgrade is that I want to run my games one a 144p, 144hz 32 inch monitor at high settings. Also I am so thankful that ur helping me

51 minutes ago, ZubZubs said:

The reason for an upgrade is that I want to run my games one a 144p, 144hz 32 inch monitor at high settings. Also I am so thankful that ur helping me

Do you already have a 144hz monitor?  Do you want to run 1080 or 1440p?  What's your budget? 

Here's what I'd do.  CES is just around the corner and AMD is expected to release their new GPU line Navi.  If you don't have a monitor yet, I'd say wait for Navi to come out, see what the pricing is on it, and see if it has an effect on other GPU markets.  Many people are estimating that Navi will fall somewhere between the 1080TI and the 2080TI in terms of performance, but at much lower cost.  Even if it is on the price level of a 1080TI used to cost, a Free Sync monitor will always be a few hundred less than it's G-Sync counterpart. 

If you are dead set on Nvidia, then you'll probably want to snag a 1080TI before they are gone, or find one on the used market.  2080TI is just not a good value in my opinion, but if you've got the $$$ then might as well get one.  

As for SLI (or Crossfire in AMD world) I honestly don't know much about it other than almost everyone I've ever talked to or any time it comes up in the forums says it's not a very practical or useful solution any more. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 11:42 PM, pstarlord said:

Do you already have a 144hz monitor?  Do you want to run 1080 or 1440p?  What's your budget? 

Here's what I'd do.  CES is just around the corner and AMD is expected to release their new GPU line Navi.  If you don't have a monitor yet, I'd say wait for Navi to come out, see what the pricing is on it, and see if it has an effect on other GPU markets.  Many people are estimating that Navi will fall somewhere between the 1080TI and the 2080TI in terms of performance, but at much lower cost.  Even if it is on the price level of a 1080TI used to cost, a Free Sync monitor will always be a few hundred less than it's G-Sync counterpart. 

If you are dead set on Nvidia, then you'll probably want to snag a 1080TI before they are gone, or find one on the used market.  2080TI is just not a good value in my opinion, but if you've got the $$$ then might as well get one.  

As for SLI (or Crossfire in AMD world) I honestly don't know much about it other than almost everyone I've ever talked to or any time it comes up in the forums says it's not a very practical or useful solution any more. 

I am not dead set on Nvidia my top priority is price to performance. I have been considering changing to an AMD gpu and or cpu. I have seen how they seem to be cheaper and have similar performance. Thanks so much for the help