Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foxconn, the primary iPhone manufacturer, Cuts 2.9 billion USD!

Jtalk4456

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-21/apple-s-biggest-iphone-assembler-is-said-to-plan-deep-cost-cuts

TLDR: Foxconn is the biggest assembler of iPhones, and it plans to cut 2.9 billion USD in 2019 according to an internal company memo

The iPhone business will need to reduce expenses by 6 billion yuan next year and the company plans to eliminate about 10 percent of non-technical staff, according to the memo obtained by Bloomberg. The company’s spending in the past 12 months is about NT$206 billion ($6.7 billion).

That's just shy of 900 million USD just in cut expenses, plus heavy cuts to staffing. To be fair this said non-technical staff, so this might not have the largest of effects on the Apple assembly part of the business.

Foxconn’s moves are likely to add to the gloom enveloping Apple and suppliers for the iPhone, its most important product. Just last week, four suppliers on three continents cut their revenue estimates because of weak demand. That set off a rout in technology stocks that has spread to the broader market in recent days.

Goldman Sachs cut its price target for Apple for the third time this month because of weak iPhone demand in China and other emerging markets. Analyst Rod Hall warned of “material risk” to guidance if the current trends continue.

So even if it has little to no effect on the apple portion of the business, speculation alone is still hurting apple stocks and will continue to dip it even further...

Taipei-based Foxconn assembles everything from iPhones and laptop computers to Sony Corp. PlayStations at factories in China and around the world. Foxconn has been hit by a slowing smartphone market, while trade tensions with the U.S. add to global uncertainty. Earlier this month its flagship Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. posted earnings that were about 12 percent below expectations.

The company will conduct an in-depth review of managers with an annual compensation of more than $150,000, according to the memo. Other cuts include a planned 3 billion yuan reduction in expenses at Foxconn Industrial Internet Co., its Shanghai-listed offshoot.

The second half of that is a good idea in my opinion. If I'm paying someone that much, they can expect to be under high scrutiny to make sure i'm getting my money's worth.

Apple has adjusted its strategy as growth in the number of smartphones sold each year has slowed. It can charge higher prices for each handset and pull in more money from services, including digital videos, streaming music and data storage.

But most of its suppliers rely on increased unit volumes to grow their businesses and have no profitable back-up plan as the industry growth slows. That has led to the financial warnings at companies such as Lumentum and Japan Display Inc. “Suppliers are more dependent on volume than Apple,” said Woo Jin Ho, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence.

In other words, press F for Foxconn and other suppliers. 

The smartphone maket in the US has leveled off. Apparently the XR is selling well in China but not so much in the US. 

Infinate growth isnt possible, with the stock market crash yesterday, everyone is just falling back to reality :) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The smartphone maket in the US has leveled off. Apparently the XR is selling well in China but not so much in the US. 

Infinate growth isnt possible, with the stock market crash yesterday, everyone is just falling back to reality :) 

like many tech channels have said, the smartphone market just isn't as exciting anymore. We're reaching a plateau of change with smartphones. The question is how much tha fall back to reality hurts apple. Even if their bottom line is barely affected, speculation drives the stock market and is already hurting them.

16 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

That's just shy of 900 million USD just in cut expenses, plus heavy cuts to staffing. To be fair this said non-technical staff, so this might not have the largest of effects on the Apple assembly part of the business.

Does feeding stuff to a machine and tightening screws count as being "technical staff"?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

and so begins the recession that we're overdue for. (generally 1 every decade, hasn't been one in a while)

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

This is a tough one. They could save a lot with robots, but when the robots jump they'll need stronger, more expensive netting. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

This is a tough one. When the robots jump, they'll need stronger, more expensive netting. 

it's either jumping of the roof or starting the war with men ?

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

and so begins the recession that we're overdue for. (generally 1 every decade, hasn't been one in a while)

Well I mean the last (US) recession "ended" in 2009, not to mention how you could argue it came 2-4 years early so with your model of once every decade, you could argue it being bang on time :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

...the stock market crash yesterday...

Yesterday?

Oh, oh no, that wasn't a crash.

All you had to do is make the phone less expensive.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition