OnePlus 6 vs Galaxy S9 User Feedback

Hi guys!

So, now that there's been some time after the launch of the 6 and the 6T as well as the S9 and S9+, I'm wondering what those of you who have bought the S9 or the OnePlus 6 have to say about them? I myself am struggling to choose between the OnePlus 6 and the Galaxy S9. 

Here's what matters to me:

1. Performance (I want it to be snappy and stay snappy after a year or two)

2. Software Suppport (I expect to get frequent android updates, at least for 1 - 1.5 years)

3. Camera (I take photos more for the functionality than for artistic purposes. I need them to be sharp and accurately colored, but I don't care for bokeh and fancypants background blurring)

So what are your opinions? What would you go for? And if you already have one of them, what are your loves and your hates about it? 

Thanks a bunch in advance!

- Vlad

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz

GPU: MSI nVidia GTX 750 Ti TwinFrozr

RAM: 16GB Kingston

So I have an S9, my buddy has the OnePlus 6, here's what we found out:

1. Performance - Equal, there won't be any difference really.
2. Software Support -  OnePlus 6 wins here with more frequent security updates and an almost-stock Android. The S9 does have something going for it here as well and here's what: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/one-ui/
3. Camera - The S9 & S9+ just win this category.

The most important difference is price, the OnePlus 6 should be a bit cheaper in every region so if you're only after the performance, it's better value.
The Galaxy S9 is a more premium product, but it also costs more exactly because of that. It has better stereo speakers tuned by AKG, better screen, camera, you get nice AKG headphones in the package (I don't think the OnePlus 6 box includes any, and even if it does, they're surely not as good) and some other premium stuff like Samsung S9 Guard (free 1-year warranty expansion + guaranteed repair time for any hardware issues with your S9) etc.

So the decision here should be mostly made with budget in mind, if you're already stretching the budget for the OnePlus 6, get it. It's a bit worse than the S9 overall, but the price fully justifies it. However, if you're into those premium extras that come with the S9, it's a great phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

23 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So I have an S9, my buddy has the OnePlus 6, here's what we found out:

1. Performance - Equal, there won't be any difference really.
2. Software Support -  OnePlus 6 wins here with more frequent security updates and an almost-stock Android. The S9 does have something going for it here as well and here's what: https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/one-ui/
3. Camera - The S9 & S9+ just win this category.

The most important difference is price, the OnePlus 6 should be a bit cheaper in every region so if you're only after the performance, it's better value.
The Galaxy S9 is a more premium product, but it also costs more exactly because of that. It has better stereo speakers tuned by AKG, better screen, camera, you get nice AKG headphones in the package (I don't think the OnePlus 6 box includes any, and even if it does, they're surely not as good) and some other premium stuff like Samsung S9 Guard (free 1-year warranty expansion + guaranteed repair time for any hardware issues with your S9) etc.

So the decision here should be mostly made with budget in mind, if you're already stretching the budget for the OnePlus 6, get it. It's a bit worse than the S9 overall, but the price fully justifies it. However, if you're into those premium extras that come with the S9, it's a great phone.

OneUI looks really sleek so far. Can't wait for it to drop here. The S9+ battery on the exynos has been great for me. With my usage I can get 6 hours SOT on data and 9 on wifi.

1. Both have Snapdragon 845 (samsung also have exynos version), which is the same, but OP6 might have the slight edge for its non bloated OS.

2. Software, both have ups and downs,

Samsung always have the most advanced software with lots of features, one that i liked the most is the ultra low power mode which turns the phone into dumb phone with black and white screen and turn off the internet, the power saving is massive, on full charge the phone can turn on for a week, this is usefull when you go outback without electricity but still want the phone feature. The camera app is full featured. On the other hand there's a lot of less usefull samsung apps that will hog the phone.

One plus 6 have less software and minimal android OS modifications, so you will get android upgrade sooner than samsung.

3. Camera handsdown samsung win, the variable aperture is just so advanced, the lens can open very wide at F 1.5 for low light to F 2.4. OP6 have fix aperture at F1.7.

Sensorwise i think OP6 which have sony sensor which some say have the best color reproduction, samsung have its own equally good sensor.

Both camera have Optical Image Stabilization and can shoot 4k, but samsung can shoot a super slow motion at 960fps for only a coupe of seconds. 

Build quality samsung have more premium feel, but the screen to body ratio is less than OP6 (if your ok with slight notch).

Talking about the notch, the OP6t have the dewdrop notch witch i think very minimal. I personally liked it.

Both have Super Amoled screen which is the pinnacle of screen tech right now, but OP6t only 1080p. 

Price OP6 has very good price to value. Samsung with its premium price do offered everything but the kitchen sink approach which is very tempting.

I think its best for you to get a hands on experience with both phones before deciding, i think both phones are equally great phones.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w