Is there any reason to buy a Ryzen 2700x instead of a 2700 and overclocking it?

The only difference I can see is the clock speed and the RGB on the stock cooler.

Those RGB lights can't be worth 50 euros can they?

Ryzen 2700, 16GB, GTX 1080, 1440p165hz

yes, the R7 2700X is binned it's a cleaner piece of sillicon likely comes from the center of a wafer so it is very likely to overclock further while consuming less power...that's why it's worth more money.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well, from what I've been gleaning of my search between the 2600X and 2600 (same applies to 2700 vs 2700X):

- The X CPU's are guaranteed to hit the boost clock, the non-X you have to OC, and if you are unlucky, you might not hit the same speed. Not all 2600 can hit 4.2 Ghz at reasonable voltage. Silicon Lottery

- The X CPU's are supposedly binned to perform better, might OC better or run cooler at same speed.

- The X CPU's might actually perform better depending on the workload, because it dynamically changes the clock based on the workload with XFR2 and PBO2. The 2600X boosts to 4.2 Ghz on one core, and 4.0 Ghz on all cores. Versus a 2600 OC'd to 4.1 Ghz on all cores, the 2600X would beat it in single core workloads.

- The X CPU's are likely to run cooler / consume less wattage for the same performance. To boost a 2600 to 4.2 Ghz, you will likely have to boost the voltage, and run it at more than the 95W TDP of the 2600X. I have also heard people report that their 2600 OC runs at 4.2 Ghz all the time, so not using the "cool and quiet" technology that takes the CPU clock down when not under load. Not sure if that is true, or a bug on their motherboard.

- You get a better cooler on the X, like you mentioned

All in all, to me the 2600X is worth another $20-$30 (on sale here in the US). At 50 EUR, it is a tougher decision. But there ARE definitely  advantages to the X series CPU's. It is not just a marketing gimmick.

13 minutes ago, Lord Cluttermonkey said:

The only difference I can see is the clock speed and the RGB on the stock cooler.

Those RGB lights can't be worth 50 euros can they?

to simplify it, the 2700x is rated at higher tdp which also means its like a cherry picked cpu that can be overclocked higher (better chance than 2700)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

The stock cooler should be a bit better as well. The 2700x might also be binned but at most that might get you .1 ghz or something I doubt it would make a huge impact.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb