I Need a Laptop for Work & Home <$1000

I haven't really been following laptops or computer hardware lately and need some advice. I need a laptop suitable for moderate Excel while at work and light gaming on the side when I'm home or on the go. SSD is a requirement even if it's not very large, and a resolution higher than 1080p is a must. I would like a metal construction but know that's where things start to get costly. Not really into the "gaming" look of most laptops and would prefer a clean simple design. 

Budget is $1000 but there's wiggle room.

Thanks my dudes.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

What kind of games?

Why higher than 1080p in a laptop? Starts to get pointless very quickly since you can't actually use the extra pixels, and I'm not sure that's really even in your budget range.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

10 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I haven't really been following laptops or computer hardware lately and need some advice. I need a laptop suitable for moderate Excel while at work and light gaming on the side when I'm home or on the go. SSD is a requirement even if it's not very large, and a resolution higher than 1080p is a must. I would like a metal construction but know that's where things start to get costly. Not really into the "gaming" look of most laptops and would prefer a clean simple design. 

Thanks my dudes.

T480

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What kind of games?

Why higher than 1080p in a laptop? Starts to get pointless very quickly since you can't actually use the extra pixels, and I'm not sure that's really even in your budget range.

Games like Terraria, maybe Minecraft, CSGO, nothing too demanding.

1080p isn't quite enough for me really now that I have used friends computers with higher resolutions and crisper text and what have you. Definitely not as noticeable with a small laptop screen but I want to give it a go. I had hoped this would be within budget but I might be able to spend a bit more, maybe post Thanksgiving sales will help.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

4 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

A 15" laptop screen will already have near 150ppi, which is about the same as a 27" 4k display, so basically it'll look exactly the same, and I already have to use 125% scaling on my 4k display.
https://www.sven.de/dpi/

The Matebook D with an R5 2500U is a pretty solid machine and can run lighter games without issue. Otherwise you want to find something with an i5 8th gen(4 core 8 threads) or an i7, with at least an MX150 GPU, but you have to make sure it's the full MX150 and not the cut down GPU with the same name.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834324036

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Forgot a review

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

And for like $700+ you can get a better GPU and CPU, but maybe worse battery life since it's going to 2 chips, not sure how that compares the the R5 2500U

1050ti being naturally a lot faster than even the R5 2500U's iGPU
https://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?ReviewID=10070869&amp;cm_mmc=SNC-Twitter-_-HelpfulReview-112018

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Location? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? What games and settings do you play? Do you need numpad? Any other special requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128