Is it worth getting a new motherboard and sticking to my i7 4770?

Go to solution Solved by asand1,

I believe CPUz only reports the base speed. DDR stands for double data rate, so your effective and advertised speed is 1600Mhz.

Pick up another 8gb if you like but I think just a monitor and 1080 will make you happy.

I currently have an old PC, with the motherboard only supporting ddr3 (I have 1x8gb 800mhz) memory. So I want to upgrade, and I was all set to go Ryzen 2600x + new RAM + GTX 1080.  

But then I decided I also want an Ultrawide 1440p which will cost the same as an entire new PC. Long story short I'm thinking of getting the monitor and sticking to my i7 4770 while also getting a motherboard upgrade with the ddr4 RAM and the GTX 1080.  

First question: Do you think I'll have problems for gaming with this CPU? Like bottlenecking? I saw some numbers and it seems the Ryzen is around 30% faster only (correct me if I'm wrong), so my idea was to wait a couple years and get the AM5 motherboards or something.  

If I skip CPU, what motherboard should I get? I'm only sticking to the i7 if there are current motherboards compatible to it, I'm really annoyed to have bought this pre mounted pc a few years ago to now realize I got some really bad stuff. So I really want up to date hardware that could give me some possibility to pick new parts in the future. 

I appreciate any advice. 

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

4th gen i7 is pretty old at this point, i doubt new boards for it are still made and sold...

Really? But the performance seemed okay. Is Intel like AMD and their chips like AM3 and AM4?

7 minutes ago, Tax said:

Really? But the performance seemed okay. Is Intel like AMD and their chips like AM3 and AM4?

Yes, as generations progress the older ones are discontinued. At anyrate, the memory controller is built into the CPU and it will not run with ddr4. Just get the GPU and monitor. Nevermind the CPU/RAM/Mobo for now.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

The i7 4770 Will be fine with the 1080 at 1440p ultrawide so no need to upgrade there. Just get the monitor and gpu and you should be good to go. You may want to add another 8gb of ddr3 but other than that you should be pretty set. 

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

Yes, as generations progress the older ones are discontinued. At anyrate, the memory controller is built into the CPU and it will not run with ddr4. Just get the GPU and monitor. Nevermind the CPU/RAM/Mobo for now.

That's really sad.  

Anyway, do you think the 800mhz 8gb will be enough? For how long? I heard AMD is announcing new Ryzen around January, but then the support for AM4 is until 2020 or so. Idk if it's worth.

29 minutes ago, Tax said:

Long story short I'm thinking of getting the monitor and sticking to my i7 4770 while also getting a motherboard upgrade with the ddr4 RAM and the GTX 1080.  

Your cpu only supports ddr3 ram, so a platform upgrade requires ditching the cpu.

First question: Do you think I'll have problems for gaming with this CPU? Like bottlenecking? I saw some numbers and it seems the Ryzen is around 30% faster only (correct me if I'm wrong), so my idea was to wait a couple years and get the AM5 motherboards or something.  

What I like about going AM4 at the moment is expandability in the future and the dropping prices currently.  Ryzen 3000 is going to be a pretty big leap from what rumors say.  So holding out for AM5 isn't really necessary imo.

Personally though I think the 4770 still holds up pretty well in most gaming, especially if you're running at highish resolution and only need to hit 60fps.  2600x is probably only ~10 percent faster in gaming scenarios since they still favor 4-6 threads.

4770 is still a good CPU. DDR 3 is also pretty good, but 800Mhz is slow. Are you sure it's not 1600? Monitoring software will sometimes show half the effective speed because Double Data Rate.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Your cpu only supports ddr3 ram, so a platform upgrade requires ditching the cpu.

What I like about going AM4 at the moment is expandability in the future and the dropping prices currently.  Ryzen 3000 is going to be a pretty big leap from what rumors say.  So holding out for AM5 isn't really necessary imo.

Personally though I think the 4770 still holds up pretty well in most gaming, especially if you're running at highish resolution and only need to hit 60fps.  2600x is probably only 5-10 percent faster in gaming scenarios since they still favor 4-6 threads.

Do you think I can hold till AM5 if I get some more cheap RAM?

2 minutes ago, asand1 said:

4770 is still a good CPU. DDR 3 is also pretty good, but 800Mhz is slow. Are you sure it's not 1600? Monitoring software will sometimes show half the effective speed because Double Data Rate.

Here's CPU-Z: 

cpuz1.PNG

cpuz2.PNG

I believe CPUz only reports the base speed. DDR stands for double data rate, so your effective and advertised speed is 1600Mhz.

Pick up another 8gb if you like but I think just a monitor and 1080 will make you happy.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

5 hours ago, Tax said:

Here's CPU-Z: 

cpuz1.PNG

cpuz2.PNG

Yeah that's 1600mhz ram. You have to double what cpuz gives you. 1600 kHz is pretty standard for ddr3 and I actually wasn't sure if they even made 800mhz ram so I was a bit shocked when you said you were running 800mhz ram. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah that's 1600mhz ram. You have to double what cpuz gives you. 1600 kHz is pretty standard for ddr3 and I actually wasn't sure if they even made 800mhz ram so I was a bit shocked when you said you were running 800mhz ram. 

Well at least it's only half as bad then :]  

4 hours ago, Tax said:

Well at least it's only half as bad then :]  

You have to remember that 1600 ddr3 isn't the same as 1600 ddr4. Ddr3 has lower cl than ddr4 so 1600 is not that bad at all. 

I’d upgrade the ram. 8gb is not enough to game. 

The 4770k will struggle with certain games, even at 1440. 

Id rather build a new rig but that really depends on the games. I have one game that the cpu can keep up with, only recent game anyway. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz