Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heck....another gpu thingy that might be cool but probably isn't

BootyDustBandit
 Share

So... the Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) is now selling for..wait..400 dollars!? for a 32 GB GPU? 
anyway, cheesiness aside. I am simply wondering if the Pro Duo Polaris is worth that 400 dollars.
(it is a workstation card and i'm aware of that so don't yell at me because it "isn't for the average consumer like us" because honestly this is just a discussion thread)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

So... the Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) is now selling for..wait..400 dollars!? for a 32 GB GPU? 
anyway, cheesiness aside. I am simply wondering if the Pro Duo Polaris is worth that 400 dollars.
(it is a workstation card and i'm aware of that so don't yell at me because it "isn't for the average consumer like us" because honestly this is just a discussion thread)

gpu boss says that its faster than a 1070 so i think you should go ahead and snatch it(im not that sure because of drivers and stuff but ok)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If it's really that much, it might be worth it. However, you have to consider it's basically two under-clocked Vega 64s. So not only do you have a ~30% performance hit due to lower speed, but you have to contend with the issues multi-GPU setups can have.

so would I have to screw with it to get it working at 100%? and if so it's not worth it cause i'll prolly mess it up and kill the card somehow so maybe I should look into an alternative....which...i have no idea what the could be..maybe a firepro?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never have expected that card to retail under $600. Non-gaming equipment usually carries a hefty premium, so $400 towards GPU accelerated workloads with chips this good is a real bargain

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, fasauceome said:

I would never have expected that card to retail under $600. Non-gaming equipment usually carries a hefty premium, so $400 towards GPU accelerated workloads with chips this good is a real bargain

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/77zZxr/amd-radeon-pro-duo-polaris-16gb-video-card-100-506048
i assume this is because newegg has a bunch and nobody actually wants these because of the vega 64 and also maybe people shying away from it because the 2000 series came out? not sure...but it's still worth checking out from what you guys (and girls..maybe?) have all said

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cigano said:

make sure your PSU can handle that amount of power draw safely 

it's only 250 W...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

so would I have to screw with it to get it working at 100%? and if so it's not worth it cause i'll prolly mess it up and kill the card somehow so maybe I should look into an alternative....which...i have no idea what the could be..maybe a firepro?

No, the card was designed to run at that speed. Workstation cards are designed for reliability and high uptime, not performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

No, the card was designed to run at that speed. Workstation cards are designed for reliability and high uptime, not performance.

oooh right....oh man then i wonder if overclocking would even work with this card and/or even be worth it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BootyDustBandit said:

it's only 250 W...

what is your PSU? This card draws around 500W while playing the witcher 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cigano said:

what is your PSU? This card draws around 500W while playing the witcher 

why is it even playing witcher? its a workstation card...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

However, you have to consider it's basically two under-clocked Vega 64s

Polaris in the name, Vega by heart?

 

1 minute ago, Cigano said:

what is your PSU? This card draws around 500W while playing the witcher 

no way, do your research again

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, the card was designed to run at that speed. Workstation cards are designed for reliability and high uptime, not performance.

okay so in games this thing has comparable performance to a GTX 1070....but workstation loads it probably crushes even a  1080/1080Ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, the card was designed to run at that speed. Workstation cards are designed for reliability and high uptime, not performance.

oh lord nevermind it's only slightly better than a 1060....G3D is a tad bit under 9500

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I was looking for whatever GPU had the same shader count. Vega 64 was it. I didn't pay attention to which GCN version it was.

at least in games it runs that way...but of course that isn't what it's for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I was looking for whatever GPU had the same shader count. Vega 64 was it. I didn't pay attention to which GCN version it was.

it claims to have "dual polaris 10 GPU's"

@Jurrunio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Polaris in the name, Vega by heart?

 

no way, do your research again

i'm not sure why they ever list watts in being drawn from the wall. I specifically remember it drew 500 watts so i looked it up and sure enough there it says it then within the article it says from the wall!??! how is that relevant to the search Radeon pro duo power consumption. I obviously want to know it's power consumption not the entire computers lmao I hate that  Anyways the correct figures are between 300-350 under heavy load apparently. recommended 750-800 watt power supply according to the website. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cigano said:

what is your PSU? This card draws around 500W while playing the witcher 

also the card can only draw 250 W....250W is what the card draws when under 100% load

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Cigano said:

i'm not sure why they ever list watts in being drawn from the wall. I specifically remember it drew 500 watts so i looked it up and sure enough there it says it then within the article it says from the wall!??! how is that relevant to the search Radeon pro duo power consumption. I obviously want to know it's power consumption not the entire computers lmao I hate that  Anyways the correct figures are between 300-350 under heavy load apparently. recommended 750-800 watt power supply according to the website. 

it means your whole computer is drawing 500 w from the wall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cigano said:

res are between 300-350 under heavy load apparen

also...no where are you getting that high of a number from XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cigano said:

i'm not sure why they ever list watts in being drawn from the wall. I specifically remember it drew 500 watts so i looked it up and sure enough there it says it then within the article it says from the wall!??! how is that relevant to the search Radeon pro duo power consumption. I obviously want to know it's power consumption not the entire computers lmao I hate that  Anyways the correct figures are between 300-350 under heavy load apparently. recommended 750-800 watt power supply according to the website. 

the card can draw up to 250 W (aproximately, the number is most likely lower than that) when under 100% load....no more...unless you put this thing at more than 100% load which last time i checked wasn't really a good idea because you'd probably melt a hole in your motherboard XD...i cant imagine how hot this thing probably runs already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BootyDustBandit said:

the card can draw up to 250 W (aproximately, the number is most likely lower than that) when under 100% load....no more...unless you put this thing at more than 100% load which last time i checked wasn't really a good idea because you'd probably melt a hole in your motherboard XD...i cant imagine how hot this thing probably runs already.

Yes i understand what total system draw means i'm just saying that when searching Sapphire pro duo power consumption i wish most sites would give me it's power consumption instead of the whole systems that would seem to make more sense.It says right here 300w, 800w power supply recommended  https://www.cnet.com/products/sapphire-radeon-pro-duo-graphics-card-2-gpus-radeon-pro-duo-8-gb/specs/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×