sick of windows. need linux?

so basically i've been trying to deal with windows 10 for the worst part of a year or so. theres so many hoops you HAVE to go through in order to disable the IMMENSE amount of built in trash/spying settings etc of the OS. i dare say setting windows 10 up to mimic windows 7 (disabling ALL of the trash) breaks the OS considering how heavily this POS relies on sending data back to microsoft etc. the amount of PURE SHIT that needs to be blocked in windows firewall/hosts file in windows 10 to prevent spying is a hilarious joke, and that's only like 1/50th of the things you need to do. reformatting a pc and putting windows 10 on it takes like 2-3 hours of disabling, tweaking, running blackbird, running o&o shutup 10, killing garbage in the task scheduler, killing windows defender so i can actually fuck with my registry settings, being forced to run enterprise in order to find the hidden group policy setting that supposedly disables telemetry completely etc. the list goes on and windows 10, although it runs pretty nicely after u butcher it to death, is just a pure trash operating system.

unfortunately my eyes have become accustomed to windows 10s new dark scheme/dark explorer theme. my eyes suck and unfortunately the high contrast themes in windows 10 still suck ass to setup therefore me hopping back to windows 7 is just going to be insanely annoying for me considering their high contrast themes are worse. 

btw windows 10 perforrms like trash for gaming compared to 7 for me. framerates are the same generally but on 10 if i crank the settings up my screen does some insane microstuttering/tearing. didn't happen on windows 7. no its not my drivers, my hardware is just older than windows 10 itself. my hardware was listed as "windows 10 capable" or however they word it for when your hardware isn't truly supported. i used to have insane issues off of a fresh reformats of windows 10, such as madVR NEVER working and giving me insane picture errors, for no fucking reason. but it worked on windows 7. its working fine on 10 now, but during the early days idk wtf was going on.

my point is.......i fucking hate windows now and want linux. im tired of being spied on. im tired of having to completely kill windows update in order for my settings not to change, but oh wait the task scheduler will still re enable windows update because no matter what u do u cant delete the scheduled scan task from the task scheduler, unless you use the new hijackthis fork, but then it still comes back. WTF?! fuck you micropenis.

my main concern is gaming/multimedia use. ive seen linus' video he posted a few months back about hwo gaming is coming along much better on linux than it was, and i liked what the video showed. i've been reading and it seems as if steam has this thing called steamplay? so basically i can fire up any windows game through steam now? there is one main game i play religiously (dead by daylight) and i'm unaware of how well/if the game will even run on a linux distro and theres no way to get any worthwhile performance out of a VM for me to test anything.

in short. i want to get rid of windows, but there are a few programs/games i kinda need and will miss too dearly. aimp music player and dead by daylight. literally all i give a shit about. any ideas for a distro for me? feel free to mention the common ones like ubuntu and mint, i don't mind. i just want to transition over. i've been looking around on distrowatch.com but my lord theres just SO MANY distros out there lol. ever since windows 8 was released i've simply hated microsoft. 2000 was great, xp was better, vista.........with great hardware and some luck on your side it was great and 7 was the best. all downhill from there. in my opinion :P

HALP 

on a side note. i've been HIGHLY considering making a video for youtube about how shitty windows 10 is. basically i'd start recording from the second i reformatted and just record everything i do to disable all of the trash that is simply windows 10 itself basically. the video would be like 2 hours. it'd be a pretty good/educational video in my mind and would wake people up and make them realize how shitty of an OS windows 10 really is. just a thought, but im sure alot of people would simply shit themselves if they'd see exactly what needs to be done to windows 10/ what it actually does to you if you don't disable this crap.

edit: i forgot to mention my system specs im sorry. i5 4690k, gtx 980 4 gig founders edition, 8 gigs corsair dominator blah blah ram ddr3 1866, mushkin 1tb ssd.

5 minutes ago, dukejukem413 said:

so basically i've been trying to deal with windows 10 for the worst part of a year or so. theres so many hoops you HAVE to go through in order to disable the IMMENSE amount of built in trash/spying settings etc of the OS. i dare say setting windows 10 up to mimic windows 7 (disabling ALL of the trash) breaks the OS considering how heavily this POS relies on sending data back to microsoft etc. the amount of PURE SHIT that needs to be blocked in windows firewall/hosts file in windows 10 to prevent spying is a hilarious joke, and that's only like 1/50th of the things you need to do. reformatting a pc and putting windows 10 on it takes like 2-3 hours of disabling, tweaking, running blackbird, running o&o shutup 10, killing garbage in the task scheduler, killing windows defender so i can actually fuck with my registry settings, being forced to run enterprise in order to find the hidden group policy setting that supposedly disables telemetry completely etc. the list goes on and windows 10, although it runs pretty nicely after u butcher it to death, is just a pure trash operating system.

unfortunately my eyes have become accustomed to windows 10s new dark scheme/dark explorer theme. my eyes suck and unfortunately the high contrast themes in windows 10 still suck ass to setup therefore me hopping back to windows 7 is just going to be insanely annoying for me considering their high contrast themes are worse. 

btw windows 10 perforrms like trash for gaming compared to 7 for me. framerates are the same generally but on 10 if i crank the settings up my screen does some insane microstuttering/tearing. didn't happen on windows 7. no its not my drivers, my hardware is just older than windows 10 itself. my hardware was listed as "windows 10 capable" or however they word it for when your hardware isn't truly supported. i used to have insane issues off of a fresh reformats of windows 10, such as madVR NEVER working and giving me insane picture errors, for no fucking reason. but it worked on windows 7. its working fine on 10 now, but during the early days idk wtf was going on.

my point is.......i fucking hate windows now and want linux. im tired of being spied on. im tired of having to completely kill windows update in order for my settings not to change, but oh wait the task scheduler will still re enable windows update because no matter what u do u cant delete the scheduled scan task from the task scheduler, unless you use the new hijackthis fork, but then it still comes back. WTF?! fuck you micropenis.

my main concern is gaming/multimedia use. ive seen linus' video he posted a few months back about hwo gaming is coming along much better on linux than it was, and i liked what the video showed. i've been reading and it seems as if steam has this thing called steamplay? so basically i can fire up any windows game through steam now? there is one main game i play religiously (dead by daylight) and i'm unaware of how well/if the game will even run on a linux distro and theres no way to get any worthwhile performance out of a VM for me to test anything.

in short. i want to get rid of windows, but there are a few programs/games i kinda need and will miss too dearly. aimp music player and dead by daylight. literally all i give a shit about. any ideas for a distro for me? feel free to mention the common ones like ubuntu and mint, i don't mind. i just want to transition over. ever since windows 8 was released i've simply hated microsoft. 2000 was great, xp was better, vista.........with great hardware and some luck on your side it was great and 7 was the best. all downhill from there. in my opinion :P

HALP 

on a side note. i've been HIGHLY considering making a video for youtube about how shitty windows 10 is. basically i'd start recording from the second i reformatted and just record everything i do to disable all of the trash that is simply windows 10 itself basically. the video would be like 2 hours. it'd be a pretty good/educational video in my mind and would wake people up and make them realize how shitty of an OS windows 10 really is. just a thought, but im sure alot of people would simply shit themselves if they'd see exactly what needs to be done to windows 10/ what it actually does to you if you don't disable this crap.

Try dual booting Windows 7 with a distro of your choice. I'd recommend Xubuntu. 

7 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Try dual booting Windows 7 with a distro of your choice. I'd recommend Xubuntu. 

honestly if i were to go through the hastle of puttiing 7 back on here i'd just stick with 7 entirely really. i just don't want to go back to 7 because it literally hurts my eyes now that i've been babied by windows 10s dark themes. setting up a high contrast theme is basically all that's preventing me from going back to 7. sounds extremely nit picky i know, but i've reformatted too many times in my life and if i do it again i don't want windows on my machine......at all lol.

This sounds a little like thinfoil hat. Like everything you do online is letting people spy on you.. The internet was never made to be "secure". However i do agree that these corporations do need to relax with all this trash data gathering. It's like they want the world to become a bad Si-Fi movie of some sort in the future (Haha and i spoke about tinfoil hats :P )  My point is that you just can't escape data gathering anymore. So it's quite useless to even try.

yeah man, you need linux. Get ubuntu or linux mint and your computer will thank you 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

This sounds a little like thinfoil hat. Like everything you do online is letting people spy on you.. The internet was never made to be "secure". However i do agree that these corporations do need to relax with all this trash data gathering. It's like they want the world to become a bad Si-Fi movie of some sort in the future (Haha and i spoke about tinfoil hats :P )  My point is that you just can't escape data gathering anymore. So it's quite useless to even try.

Get tails linux. No body would be able to mine you on that thing. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Get tails linux. No body would be able to mine you on that thing. 

Ins't that connected to Tor? I might not be a fan of the internet, but Tor? haha Nope

Dead by daylight is not working because with Wine EAC is not supported, can't tell if they'll ever fix it or not.

Also it depends from your hardware, if your GPU has Vulkan capabilities, you are good to go for most of DX11 titles. I'm just a bit worried about the CPU, because DXVK will suck a bit of CPU. Also performance are acceptable but not as good as native Linux games (in some cases) or WIndows. 

The best distro for beginners you can use are Ubuntu, Kubuntu or KDE Neon imo, I made a thread about gaming on Linux 

Generally speaking one major distro is as good as any other, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. For a beginner, any _ubuntu, mint or elementary will be just fine. I personally recommend ubuntu mate, but pick what appeals to you the most. Pretty much every desktop environment comes with a good dark theme.

As for your concerns with compatibility, the music player should be compatible with wine but dbd, unfortunately, is not. You can still get around that with kvm and gpu passthrough, but it's a bit of a hassle to setup and you need to have two gpus in your system.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Ins't that connected to Tor? I might not be a fan of the internet, but Tor? haha Nope

Guess you are not a fan of privacy either.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Guess you are not a fan of privacy either.

Aha. Tell me, how often have you read Tor's privacy policy?

37 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Aha. Tell me, how often have you read Tor's privacy policy?

Tors privacy policy hahahahahaha. Tor servers are not run by any particular companies. I can set up a Tor relay server on my own personal computer. I have neither the access to a relay data not able to tell whose ip the data is from. It isn't a commerical VPN service. Read up a bit why don't you? 

Tor has been used by whistleblowers to defend against authoritarian government like that in china who literally owns all of the internet service providers companies in the country and can snope in on your computer data at will. Tor is way overkill just to defend against commerical companies from mining your personal data. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Tors privacy policy hahahahahaha. Tor servers are not run by any particular companies. I can set up a Tor relay server on my own personal computer. I have neither the access to a relay data not able to tell whose ip the data is from. It isn't a commerical VPN service. Read up a bit why don't you? 

Tor has been used by whistleblowers to defend against authoritarian government like that in china who literally owns all of the internet service providers companies in the country and can snope in on your computer data at will. Tor is way overkill just to defend against commerical companies from mining your personal data. 

Exactly why i wouldn't use it. There is nothing that says that someone isn't looking for information. Probably worse than what Microsoft and the corporations does. lol

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Exactly why i wouldn't use it. There is nothing that says that someone isn't looking for information. Probably worse than what Microsoft and the corporations does. lol

if you wanna crack tor, you need more than just seizing control over half of their relay servers(which is impossible considering they are run by volunteers all over the world) but you have to also crack their encryptions. Good luck with that. Tor has been used by criminals and political dissidents alike. They wouldn't be using the service if they know their names will be leaked to the authorities and law enforcements. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

if you wanna crack tor, you need more than just seizing control over half of their relay servers(which is impossible considering they are run by volunteers all over the world) but you have to also crack their encryptions. Good luck with that. Tor has been used by criminals and political dissidents alike. They wouldn't be using the service if they know their names will be leaked to the authorities and law enforcements. 

That's not what i'm saying at all. Also as a host for ilegal activities you yourself are also guilty. Anyways, Tor is out of the question. The whole network is bullshit in my view.

54 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Also as a host for ilegal activities you yourself are also guilty. 

Guns are used to commit murder and robbery which are illegal. Why don't you go on a crusade to ban fire arms and all the fire arms retailers? 

Tor is the best for anomity and user privacy. I really don't see what your issue with it is. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Guns are used to commit murder and robbery which are illegal. Why don't you go on a crusade to ban fire arms and all the fire arms retailers? 

Tor is the best for anomity and user privacy. I really don't see what your issue with it is. 

Why is it my issue when you are the one promoting it? Those making firearms is not the same people using it, and they make it for other reason than commiting murder.

I don't have issues with Tor, i just don't like the way it's being used. It's exatcly the same as those who make firearms but the murders use Tor to hide their traces.

Heck reaosn wkhy i don't own firearms or use Tor.

2 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Why is it my issue when you are the one promoting it? Those making firearms is not the same people using it, and they make it for other reason than commiting murder.

I don't have issues with Tor, i just don't like the way it's being used. It's exatcly the same as those who make firearms but the murders use Tor to hide their traces.

Heck reaosn wkhy i don't own firearms or use Tor.

Omg, please do not tell me you have not recognize the double standard and hypocrisy in what you just said. Either that or you do not know tor is used by law enforcement agency, nations military, countless journalists, and whistleblowers like Edward Snowdon alike.  Also plus the fact you lack intimidate knowledge of what tor stood for and how it actually operates. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Omg, please do not tell me you have not recognize the double standard and hypocrisy in what you just said. Either that or you do not know tor is used by law enforcement agency, nations military, countless journalists, and whistleblowers like Edward Snowdon alike.  Also plus the fact you lack intimidate knowledge of what tor stood for and how it actually operates. 

You didn't ask me for my knowledge so why would i show that i have any knowledge about it? I don't care who uses Tor. I'm telling you that i don't have any interest for it, but you seem to arrogant to understand that.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:29 AM, AbsoluteFool said:

You didn't ask me for my knowledge so why would i show that i have any knowledge about it? I don't care who uses Tor. I'm telling you that i don't have any interest for it, but you seem to arrogant to understand that.

And you seemed ignorant to disparage a service and technology that you have no knowledge of. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, wasab said:

And you seemed ignorant to disparage a service and technology that you have no knowledge of. 

You're just making things up now. Why don't just leave it? Not everyone has to like the thing you like. Arrogant fool