75Hz IPS UW vs 144Hz 16:9 TN

jlx2k
Go to solution Solved by ZephyrArcturus,

Considering you're not playing a lot of games i would go and by the UW.

I personnaly have an LG 29UM68 (same specs but older) and extra real estate is a really nice to have.

The R5 1600 isn't that great for high framerate gaming so you may not be able to reach 144Hz in certain CPU intensive games, therefore the ultrawide seems to be a better option

Originally set on the UW but read in various places and it seemed like most people preferred using high refresh than UW, and apparently UW support is pretty questionable, for both gaming and videos too (black bars, weird scaling etc, although not sure if that disadvantage is exaggerated).

Prices are looking pretty decent but really unsure of which to get:

- 24" 1080p 144Hz TN: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XF240Hbmjdpr-Monitor-FreeSync-Adjustable/dp/B01684HUJU?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_ae89a558_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

- 29" 21:9 75Hz? 2560x1080 UW: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-29WK500-29-Inch-Ultrawide-Freesync/dp/B079SJ36Y8?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_ae89a558_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Both have freesync, though with my 1060 i wont be able to make use of that for the next couple years. I have: R5 1600, 1060 6gb, 8gb ram.

After getting either one I plan on putting my current monitor in portrait.

My standard uses range from: assignments (heard UW is good for splitting windows and productivity, plus I dont tend to watch youtube on the side whilst doing work), programming (hence the 1st monitor in portrait), light gaming (play occasional league with friends, hearthstone and a couple non-competitive games).

Whilst stand quality is a factor, I have another vesa mount (btw it is not possible for me to put one monitor above the other, assume a left-right placement) that i can use for the new monitor.

Have considered the several 28" 4ks on sale for about £220-260, though am under the (possibly wrong) impression that at 28" Ill just have the windows view scale turned up and not see that big of a benefit, and?

Open to any other suggestions below ~£200.

Many thanks in advance :)

I personnaly have an LG 29UM68 (same specs but older) and extra real estate is a really nice to have.

The R5 1600 isn't that great for high framerate gaming so you may not be able to reach 144Hz in certain CPU intensive games, therefore the ultrawide seems to be a better option

I used to run an UW OC'd to 80hz, but after using my friend's 144hz display I decided to swtich back to 16:9 with a 27" 144hz display, but I game a lot, when I do schoolwork I go right back to my UW.

That's my experience, I'll leave it to you to decide, though.

PC Specs :

Main System:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8 GHz

CPU Cooler: Stock - My AIO died

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz DDR4

Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro

PSU: Corsair CS550m

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 TG

Monitor: Acer 27” Monitor KG271 144Hz / LG 29UM67-P / 24" Dell UltraSharp Monitor

Audio: Sennheiser HD 599 headphones / Blue Yeti microphone

Mouse: Glorious Model O / Logitech G903

Keyboard: HyperX Alloy FPS

Laptop - Dell G5 15 5590 SE:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H

RAM: 8GB DDR4

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1660 TI

Secondary PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k

RAM: 24GB G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Generic Azza 500W Power Supply (It's probably about to blow up)

Case: InWin 805 Infinity (never buy this case)

2 minutes ago, ZephyrArcturus said:

Have you personally tried a 144Hz or higher monitor before, if so, what was your experience with that?

Were you able to notice a significant difference between 60Hz and ur 75hz panel?

Yeah I've heard ryzen isnt that great for reaching high framerate too, and to be fair, whilst the 1060 is solid, I personally cant see mine reaching above 80-90 in the more demanding spectrum of games.

I've been using a 144hz monitor for more than 4 years and it's simply amazing. It's like going from HDD to SSDs.

With that being said though, since you don't game that much and your setup probably wouldn't reach 144fps in many games, the ultrawide would be fine for you. 

I personally hated using Ultrawide when I had the opportunity, but it might have been because it was also curved.

5 minutes ago, Tokeegee said:

I used to run an UW OC'd to 80hz, but after using my friend's 144hz display I decided to swtich back to 16:9 with a 27" 144hz display, but I game a lot, when I do schoolwork I go right back to my UW.

That's my experience, I'll leave it to you to decide, though.

Ive been told the 60->144Hz difference is fairly large, how would you describe the 60->80 jump, was that noticable?

Also, how easy/hard was it to oc your monitor, was that a 60->80 oc or a 75->80 oc?

5 minutes ago, jlx2k said:

Have you personally tried a 144Hz or higher monitor before, if so, what was your experience with that?

Were you able to notice a significant difference between 60Hz and ur 75hz panel?

Yeah I've heard ryzen isnt that great for reaching high framerate too, and to be fair, whilst the 1060 is solid, I personally cant see mine reaching above 80-90 in the more demanding spectrum of games.

I tested some games on a friend's acer predator 1440p 144Hz display, i personally didn't see much difference but i haven't tested it long enough to say.

If you have a computer store (micro center etc...) near you i'd advise you to check there yourself if 144Hz on the desktop really makes a good difference to your eyes.

1 minute ago, Kibelok said:

I've been using a 144hz monitor for more than 4 years and it's simply amazing. It's like going from HDD to SSDs.

With that being said though, since you don't game that much and your setup probably wouldn't reach 144fps in many games, the ultrawide would be fine for you. 

I personally hated using Ultrawide when I had the opportunity, but it might have been because it was also curved.

Was your main reason for hating uw gaming or other reasons?

Just now, jlx2k said:

Was your main reason for hating uw gaming or other reasons?

I played mostly CSGO on it and absolutely hated it, since I've always played it on a streched resolution + 144hz. 

I also tried editing videos on Adobe Premiere for a while but the curve drove me nuts.

2 minutes ago, jlx2k said:

Ive been told the 60->144Hz difference is fairly large, how would you describe the 60->80 jump, was that noticable?

Also, how easy/hard was it to oc your monitor, was that a 60->80 oc or a 75->80 oc?

It's not hard to OC a monitor, the monitor will tell you if it's working or not, and it if doesn't there will be visual issues with the screen if you choose the wrong refresh rate. 60-80 isn't a huge jump, and it caused some issues in some games, where it looked more like 40fps than 80. Some monitors are pickier than others, though, so you might want to look into your monitor specifically and how good of an overclocker it is. 144 is a huge jump, especially since you have a 1060, if you're only running esporty titles, the refresh rate makes a huge difference. If you're mostly doing productive work I think I'd go UW, though.

PC Specs :

Main System:

Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO / 1TB Seagate Barracuda / 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS

Monitor: Acer 27” Monitor KG271 144Hz / LG 29UM67-P / 24" Dell UltraSharp Monitor

Secondary PC:

1 minute ago, Kibelok said:

I played mostly CSGO on it and absolutely hated it, since I've always played it on a streched resolution + 144hz. 

I also tried editing videos on Adobe Premiere for a while but the curve drove me nuts.

Speaking of video editing, i love to do it on my (flat) UW.

way more space for tools and the timeline

Just now, ZephyrArcturus said:

I tested some games on a friend's acer predator 1440p 144Hz display, i personally didn't see much difference but i haven't tested it long enough to say.

If you have a computer store (micro center etc...) near you i'd advise you to check there yourself if 144Hz on the desktop really makes a good difference to your eyes.

Unfortunately (live in the UK here) the only stores around me are the ones trying to sell heavily marked up goods to old people ?‍♀️.

I think I used a 144hz 1440p massive curved display at a netcafe in taiwan, though I was only playing league and hearthstone there so it wasnt that big a deal. It definitely was smoother but they do use 1080/1080tis sooo.

4 minutes ago, ZephyrArcturus said:

Speaking of video editing, i love to do it on my (flat) UW.

way more space for tools and the timeline

I have seen a lot of editors using a flat UW for editing and Photoshop, I still need to test it though, I got a little traumatized because of the curve.

6 minutes ago, Kibelok said:

Ah csgo, yeah Id see why you hate it, dont personally play it myself but have a few friends who do 4:3 and stretched resolutions too (think its to make the targets fatter or smth), not too sure why but theres probably a good reason behind it.

Looking on yt a couple of content creators also said curved monitors made it difficult to photo/video edit accurately so fair point.

9 minutes ago, Tokeegee said:

It's not hard to OC a monitor, the monitor will tell you if it's working or not, and it if doesn't there will be visual issues with the screen if you choose the wrong refresh rate. 60-80 isn't a huge jump, and it caused some issues in some games, where it looked more like 40fps than 80. Some monitors are pickier than others, though, so you might want to look into your monitor specifically and how good of an overclocker it is. 144 is a huge jump, especially since you have a 1060, if you're only running esporty titles, the refresh rate makes a huge difference. If you're mostly doing productive work I think I'd go UW, though.

My problem is that 75Hz is probably what id be looking at maxing for most non-esport games. Even then, with league and hearthstone being such slow games having the extra refresh wouldnt benefit me too much anyway. Definitely leaning towards the UW right now. 

Thanks for the bit on oc, ill look into that : )

I've been playing around with a friend's curved 34" 144hz monitor and I have to say I'm unimpressed. The curve is the least of my worries, compared to the terrible color accuracy (on an IPS panel) and weird brightness, contrast and sharpness settings.

PC Specs :

Main System:

Secondary PC:

1 minute ago, jlx2k said:

My problem is that 75Hz is probably what id be looking at maxing for most non-esport games. Even then, with league and hearthstone being such slow games having the extra refresh wouldnt benefit me too much anyway. Definitely leaning towards the UW right now. 

Thanks for the bit on oc, ill look into that : )

If you don't plan on playing competitve FPS's then the extra refresh rate won't be super crazy helpful IMO, but I just don't like MOBA's or RTS's much :/

PC Specs :

Main System:

Secondary PC:

2 minutes ago, Tokeegee said:

I've been playing around with a friend's curved 34" 144hz monitor and I have to say I'm unimpressed. The curve is the least of my worries, compared to the terrible color accuracy (on an IPS panel) and weird brightness, contrast and sharpness settings.

Never owned an IPS, thats weird because I see everyone saying the main advantages of IPS are colours and viewing angles. To be fair the few IPSs at my school are terrible and very glary and overly bright

1 minute ago, Tokeegee said:

If you don't plan on playing competitve FPS's then the extra refresh rate won't be super crazy helpful IMO, but I just don't like MOBA's or RTS's much :/

Kind of locked into playing league because its the multiplayer game that a couple of my friends play haha

Thanks for the replies, Im leaning towards the UW now. Will look around a bit more for anything interest but otherwise ill just be getting that.

Have a great day!

(Also damn this site is better than reddit, might post more questions here...posted for a day on reddit 100+ views no replies : //)

27 minutes ago, jlx2k said:

Thanks for the replies, Im leaning towards the UW now. Will look around a bit more for anything interest but otherwise ill just be getting that.

Have a great day!

(Also damn this site is better than reddit, might post more questions here...posted for a day on reddit 100+ views no replies : //)

I swapped to 144hz a year ago and mostly play League myself too, I notice a massive difference in performance and smoothness even when going from an OC'd 60hz monitor at 80hz to 144hz.

I think it could also depend on how good you are at League though, where at the higher ranks it's way easier to notice the little things like when a skillshot is being thrown on a 144hz monitor but other than that it just adds a general smoothness to the game / Windows in general.

12 hours ago, iiMaagic said:

I swapped to 144hz a year ago and mostly play League myself too, I notice a massive difference in performance and smoothness even when going from an OC'd 60hz monitor at 80hz to 144hz.

I think it could also depend on how good you are at League though, where at the higher ranks it's way easier to notice the little things like when a skillshot is being thrown on a 144hz monitor but other than that it just adds a general smoothness to the game / Windows in general.

Ah yeah, I can imagine itd be a pretty significant difference. Im neither bad nor good at league, and I dont really enjoy the game when playing solo, only when playing in a 3man+ and even then im playing really casually and mess around. Thanks for all the input, Im about to order the ultrawide. : ) hopefully everything goes smoothly