VPN blocked at school

Matthew_Cash

I use a VPN setup on my own server everywhere (home, school, public wifi, etc). I am using AlgoVPN on an Ubuntu server. I have zero issues connecting at my house on PC, iOS, and Android. Once I use the school internet though, it is unable to connect. I am 100% sure it is the school doing this because it works on cellular connections and the school blocks many games. If anyone has any ideas on how to get around this that would be great. Many free VPNs work on the school

3 minutes ago, Matthew_Cash said:

and the school blocks many games.

You go to school to study and learn, not to play games.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

They do it for a reason. Why are you surprised it doesn't work xD Get good grades and don't be a bum like me.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Cereal5 said:

They do it for a reason. Why are you surprised it doesn't work xD Get good grades and don't be a bum like me.

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

You go to school to study and learn, not to play games.

I don't use the VPN for malicious reasons, I use it to protect myself and to prevent the school from seeing all of the data coming to and from my device. If I was just doing it to play games, I would use my data connection. 

If you do not want to use the school's internet, don't. Mobile data is fairly cheap and fucking quick (That said, my unis internet connection saturates the Gigabit Ethernet on my laptop, shits all over my 160Mb down on from 4G on my phone).

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

If you do not want to use the school's internet, don't. Mobile data is fucking quick (That said, my unis internet connection saturates the Gigabit Ethernet on my laptop).

I only have data on my phone, I like to use my laptop for school

Just now, Matthew_Cash said:

I only have data on my phone, I like to use my laptop for school

Get a 4G network card for your laptop. I have one for mine (well, actually HSPA+, so only 3G). Or alternatively, run a mobile hotspot - either wifi, bluetooth or using a USB cable.

Get a 4G network card for your laptop. I have one for mine (well, actually HSPA+, so only 3G). Or alternatively, run a mobile hotspot - either wifi, bluetooth or using a USB cable.

I don't want to get a network card for my PC, I want this VPN to work.

1 minute ago, Matthew_Cash said:

I don't want to get a network card for my PC, I want this VPN to work.

Well, you're not, depending on how your schools firewall is set up.

Well, your not, depending on how your schools firewall is set up.

Yeah... depending

19 minutes ago, Matthew_Cash said:

I use a VPN setup on my own server everywhere (home, school, public wifi, etc). I am using AlgoVPN on an Ubuntu server. I have zero issues connecting at my house on PC, iOS, and Android. Once I use the school internet though, it is unable to connect. I am 100% sure it is the school doing this because it works on cellular connections and the school blocks many games. If anyone has any ideas on how to get around this that would be great.

You ask the School's IT for an exception with a proper business / educational use-case to go with it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

You ask the School's IT for an exception with a proper business / educational use-case to go with it.

They said that VPNs are allowed, but they will not make an exception

They said that VPNs are allowed, but they will not make an exception

Then change your VPN provider to one that works on their network. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

Then change your VPN provider to one that works on their network. :) 

I run the VPN on my own server

1 minute ago, Matthew_Cash said:

Gotcha, so they probably block the port being used then. Try changing the port, or method of VPN connection. For instance, even my shared webhost is very strict on how you can connect to a jailed SSH shell on the server. You must add an exception for the IP inside cPanel, generate and use a private / public SSH keypair, and can only connect using certain SSH clients on certain non-default ports.

Run it on 443 port like SSL, if it's still not working look for advanced hiding technique ... tunneling trough TOR or things like that...

Just now, kirashi said:

Gotcha, so they probably block the port being used then. Try changing the port, or method of VPN connection. For instance, even my shared webhost is very strict on how you can connect to a jailed SSH shell. You must add an exception for the IP inside cPanel, generate and use a private / public SSH keypair, and can only connect using certain SSH clients.

Ok, I will attempt to do that, thank you!

Yup, they're prob blocking the port. That's what my school did.