Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2700/x vs 8700k

Nik_
 Share

Looking for good gaming performance with a good future of high performance, and the ability to stream/record/do vfx if I so choose, while trying to save as many Canadian pesos as I can. 

So far the things I've kind of picked out are 

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $409.99

Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ~$165.99 < matches my gpu and looks good imo

I haven't quite decided on ram. I was maybe thinking RGB TridentZ 16gb 3000 but there are more than likely better options. 

 

So I'm looking for suggestions as to whether I should go with a different cpu. 8700k, 2700, even 2600x, and suggestions on ram. I'd like to keep the price around what it is now or lower($750-800 before tax) which is pushing me away from intel as the cpu is already more and I'd need to buy a cooler. 

 

Thanks

 

didn't want to make another one of these with so many out there but I also didn't want to steal someones thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with the 2700, since it's the same chip, cheaper and you can just do a mild OC. RAM for Ryzen is usually recommended at 2933-3200 MHz, so you got that covered.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

[Under Construction]

 

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I'd go with the 2700, since it's the same chip, cheaper and you can just do a mild OC. RAM for Ryzen is usually recommended at 2933-3200 MHz, so you got that covered.

how does the stock cooler handle mild OC's. I currently don't have the money for a cooler and most of the coolers I'm interested in buying require me to also buy a new case(no space for a rad, or very minimal rad space, and not deep enough for some air tower coolers). A 120mm aio MIGHT fit but tightly. This is what I get for trying to budget so hard when I first upgraded without thinking about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

hmmmm... it all depends on what do you want to do with it, if you are on a budget FORGET about extreme performance and focus on what will do for 2 years

do you plan on gaming? then go for the 2600X and save up to 100 bucks, even the 2600 will do

get the 2600, the RX 580 8GB forr around $200 (USD), get 2x8GB 3000MHz RAM

that motherboard is expensive for a B series, tho

keep in mind that with that hardware you could OC it, or sell it in 2 years for the new Ryzen, and the stock CPU cooler is nice for a while

I suggest you to create a budget build and if you have money left, pick better hardware

I already have a GPU. I bought a second hand 1080ti, so I'm also trying to un-bottleneck it and not have to upgrade for at least 2-3, maybe 4 years. I do and don't have a budget as I have to money but don't want to just spend it cause I have it. My plan was to get a decent-good cpu/mobo/ram and in a few weeks or w/e get a case and cpu cooler and be set for years to come. wdym by "its an expensive b series" is the b series like the lower end model/series? What would you suggest for mobo? When looking at mobo's I just look for 4 ram slots(just in case) and decent looks, with an ok price. The ability to OC is good to have since they are unlocked cpus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

for any1 that HAS to build a ryzen system now, get a 2600, and wait for zen 2.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The "X" processors just are not nearly as good a deal as their stranded counterparts. The motherboard looks good. RAM is personal preference. Get a Ryzen 5 if you think streaming is all you will do. Get a Ryzen 7 if there is any other enthusiast task you want to do. There are low profile coolers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DustierDolphin said:

The "X" processors just are not nearly as good a deal as their stranded counterparts. The motherboard looks good. RAM is personal preference. Get a Ryzen 5 if you think streaming is all you will do. Get a Ryzen 7 if there is any other enthusiast task you want to do. There are low profile coolers.

Things i've done/tried in the past have been adobe after effects, streaming, and that sort of thing. I'm not doing any big 3d rendering or anything. So if a 2600/x can keep up with a 1080ti and give me good fps in games like BO4, and r6 then I might go for it. I know there are LP coolers but to go along with my current "goal" I want to get something good that I wont feel backed into a corner with in a year. If I had spent more the first time I could be done or just buying a cpu with no second thought so that's kind of what I want now, the ability to either perform well till the system needs upgraded anyway or have the ability to upgrade without replacing a bunch of parts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

Things i've done/tried in the past have been adobe after effects, streaming, and that sort of thing. I'm not doing any big 3d rendering or anything. So if a 2600/x can keep up with a 1080ti and give me good fps in games like BO4, and r6 then I might go for it. I know there are LP coolers but to go along with my current "goal" I want to get something good that I wont feel backed into a corner with in a year. If I had spent more the first time I could be done or just buying a cpu with no second thought so that's kind of what I want now, the ability to either perform well till the system needs upgraded anyway or have the ability to upgrade without replacing a bunch of parts. 

If you can wait for Zen 2, it should be quite a bit more powerful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

B series is not as good as X series, and for that price you'd expect to get one of those

 

I might go with an x, what kind of performance changes are there? all of this also depends on if prices change any more when companies adjust live prices for BF and CM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, DustierDolphin said:

If you can wait for Zen 2, it should be quite a bit more powerful.

I definitely need an upgrade now as I'm rocking a i5 4430 i've had since ~2013. will zen 2 share the same socket? if so I might go with a 2600 and either get a nicer mobo or ram or use the money to get a case or AIO so I'm getting better performance and am able to upgrade when zen 2 is released.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

I might go with an x, what kind of performance changes are there? all of this also depends on if prices change any more when companies adjust live prices for BF and CM

He is talking about motherboards. X470 normaly has better VRMs and more features but it is up to you if they are worth it. For the processors, the "X" just is a higher clocked one with a beefier cooler. They both overclock to slimier performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nik_ said:

I definitely need an upgrade now as I'm rocking a i5 4430 i've had since ~2013. will zen 2 share the same socket? if so I might go with a 2600 and either get a nicer mobo or ram or use the money to get a case or AIO so I'm getting better performance and am able to upgrade when zen 2 is released.  

Don't buy something you will just upgrade in a year - it wont be enough of a difference for you to care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, DustierDolphin said:

He is talking about motherboards. X470 normaly has better VRMs and more features but it is up to you if they are worth it. For the processors, the "X" just is a higher clocked one with a beefier cooler. They both overclock to slimier performance.

I knew he was talking about mobo's. so the x470 and 370 are better for overclocking? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

Things i've done/tried in the past have been adobe after effects, streaming, and that sort of thing. I'm not doing any big 3d rendering or anything. So if a 2600/x can keep up with a 1080ti and give me good fps in games like BO4, and r6 then I might go for it. I know there are LP coolers but to go along with my current "goal" I want to get something good that I wont feel backed into a corner with in a year. If I had spent more the first time I could be done or just buying a cpu with no second thought so that's kind of what I want now, the ability to either perform well till the system needs upgraded anyway or have the ability to upgrade without replacing a bunch of parts. 

 

12 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

I do and don't have a budget as I have to money but don't want to just spend it cause I have it. My plan was to get a decent-good cpu/mobo/ram and in a few weeks or w/e get a case and cpu cooler and be set for years to come.

I hear you man. I see all these people spend like $2000-$3000 on a PC.. sure, I have the money sitting in the bank, but it is not exactly necessary. A $1000 PC will do just fine, better value for your money.

 

I am in the same boat as you, trying to un-bottleneck my 980Ti (yeah i5 CPU... dont ask). I am buying the 2600X. Seems to be the best bang for the buck right now. If you want to OC, the Ryzen 2600 is a good choice as well. 2600X will do fine in games for the next 2-3 years for sure, probably longer.

 

For your use case, 2600X is likely fine, but the 2700X would be better if you really are serious about Streaming, because of the 2 extra cores. Otherwise, not needed imo.

 

Also Ryzen will have a way better upgrade path with Zen2 coming out next year. All the current AMD motherboards will support it.

 

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Nik_ said:

I knew he was talking about mobo's. so the x470 and 370 are better for overclocking? 

Somewhat. Mainly for extreme overclocking. If you ever want to do SLI you will need one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DustierDolphin said:

Don't buy something you will just upgrade in a year - it wont be enough of a difference for you to care.

So a zen 1 2700x vs a zen 2 2700x or w/e they go with wont have enough of a difference to make it worth the effort of buying "low" now and again when zen 2 comes out? will zen 1, 2, and 3 all have the same socket, because i could still go with a 2600/x, OC, and use it until zen 3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

I knew he was talking about mobo's. so the x470 and 370 are better for overclocking? 

not necessarily.. B450 boards can overclock just fine. Depends on the board and power delivery. There are some very good B450 motherboards out there that OC really well. I hear the MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good one. For Mini ITX, I am going with the Asrock B450 Fatality ITX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

So a zen 1 2700x vs a zen 2 2700x or w/e they go with wont have enough of a difference to make it worth the effort of buying "low" now and again when zen 2 comes out? will zen 1, 2, and 3 all have the same socket, because i could still go with a 2600/x, OC, and use it until zen 3

Zen 2 coming out in 2019 will have the same socket. IIRC AMD said they will support AM4 until 2020, but I don't know if they will release another CPU for AM4 after Zen 2 next year.

 

Nobody knows how big the gains will be. They are going to 7nm, so likely the CPUs will gain single core performance / clock speed. But I would guess no more than 20% improvement, if that. So it wont exactly make your current CPU obsolete.

 

If you want to be more "future proof" get the 2700X, 8 cores will likely last you longer than 6 cores, when that eventually becomes the norm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maartendc said:

 

For your use case, 2600X is likely fine, but the 2700X would be better if you really are serious about Streaming, because of the 2 extra cores. Otherwise, not needed imo.

 

 

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Zen 2 coming out in 2019 will have the same socket. IRRC AMD said they will support AM4 until 2020, but I don't know if they will release another CMU for AM4 after Zen 2 next year.

 

If you want to be more "future proof" get the 2700X, 8 cores will likely last you longer than 6 cores, when that eventually becomes the norm.

Im gonna look at some more benchmarks and look around at more mobos. Hopefully there are some more price drops when Bf and CM hit. Thanks for all the replies and info. Depending on what I find I'll probably go with a 2700 unless the 2600 shows good performance for what I want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

X series usually get better VRM and overall quality, and the possibility of crossfire/SLI, also there are double PCIe lanes, more SATAs... Etc, like the Z series of Intel, you can go for one of those I mentioned you, or go with the one you like, the almost unique difference is cosmetic

And for the CPU, the overall performance between 2600(X) and 2700(X) is almost the same. The X ones get better overclocking, but you could go fine with a non X if you don't plan to OC it to the limit. Also, would you pay the hundred extra of the 2700(X) for an average of 6 fps more? If yes, then go for the 2700(X), if no, stick to the 2600 and save for a future upgrade (maybe 2-3 years, depending on the 2600 used market and the Ryzem 2/3 prices).

after looking at more benchmarks I'm probably going to go with a 2600 or 2600x, id like the extra cores but wont need them, the 2600 seems to handle streaming quite well at decent rates, i can then use the extra $150-$200 saved for a AIO and/or a case which would allow me to OC. do you know what kind of speeds people have gotten with AIO's on the 2600 vs 2600x? I'm thinking about getting a 280mm nzxt AIO but might change and go with a 140mm or something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just slapping everything into PCpartpicker. Getting this error 

Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

this is with the Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard mobo and 2600, will this be an issue? since i obviously dont have another am4 chip to put in the mobo if it needs updated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

also, any suggestions on AIO's I was gonna go with the nzxt one but it's expensive and I want to vertically mount my gpu so it would mostly be covered anyway. 

 

this is what ive got so far. i left the nzxt cooler just to have it there in case. I do want a nice cooler, but i also dont want to spend the extra $100+the tax, right now at least. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nik_ said:

also, any suggestions on AIO's I was gonna go with the nzxt one but it's expensive and I want to vertically mount my gpu so it would mostly be covered anyway. 

What size radiator can you fit?

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nick name said:

What size radiator can you fit?

in my current case, 120mm, in the h500i, not sure, looking rn, 120 also i think

 

edit: yea top and rear on the h500i are both 120mm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Nik_ said:

in my current case, 120mm, in the h500i, not sure, looking rn, 120 also i think

 

edit: yea top and rear on the h500i are both 120mm

Then I saw a cheap price on the EVGA CLC 120.  See what Canadian pricing is for that.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×