Boot drive magically running out of space...

danforz

All,

I have a Windows boot drive with ~250gb of storage. This is what came with my office computer and was all I could afford at the time. 

Windows recently informed me that I was out of space. I literally had a few megabytes left on the drive. I emptied my recycle bin, ran CC cleaner, and did a Windows disk cleanup. They released little space and now I'm in a bad position as my programs are no longer working due to lack of storage. 

Known Issues

A. Microsoft Office / Adobe Suite  

Firstly, for whatever reason, both Microsoft Office and Adobe products do NOT let you chose what drive to install them to. I have a much larger (1TB) hard drive where I store my files, but neither of these programs (which take up nearly 30gb) allowed me to select the drive they were installed on. Instead, they default installed on my boot drive, C. I am willing to uninstall and re-install these programs, if anyone can explain to me how to force them to install on my storage drive, where I have much more space

B. Outlook's PST File

In addition, based on a CC cleaner scan, I've discovered that I have a Microsoft Outlook .pst file that is roughly 2.5 gigs. Can I set outlook to store this file elsewhere? How?

System Scan Results

Here is the result of the system scan. As you can see, there are recovery files and others. Should I delete any of these? Should I do it manually or is there a better way?

image.png.053f11b34dceec07ca59466790a10257.png

Buying a New Drive

I'm happy to buy a new boot drive - they are cheap now. But then how do I transfer Windows to the new hard disk? My Lenovo computer did not come with a Windows Disk that I can recall. 

Thanks everyone for their help. 

1 hour ago, danforz said:

All,

I've had Windows 10 installed on a 250gigabyte boot drive on my work computer for about 1.5 years. In the last few months, without having installed anything new, I'm now getting warnings that the boot drive is out of memory. It's as if the size of the boot drive is growing with every start up. 
Does anyone have any advice on how I can analyze and correct? FYI, I've run Windows Cleaner and there are no restore points on my computer either. 
Daniel 

Grab the portable version of WinDirStat or TreeSize and run it as administrator from a USB drive. This will show you what's taking up all the space so you can clean stuff up. If you're unsure of what's safe to cleanup, you can always ask us here.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Every good filemanager has option to get sizes of folders. This is best way to find out what happened with your empty space.

Check you pagefile and hibernation file.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/19/2018 at 11:36 PM, homeap5 said:

Every good filemanager has option to get sizes of folders. This is best way to find out what happened with your empty space.

Can you recommend any?

Edit: Please take a look at the original post. I've updated it to include a lot more pertinent information. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Check you pagefile and hibernation file.

How do I do that?

Also, please take a look at the original post. I've updated it to include a lot more pertinent information. 

4 hours ago, danforz said:

How do I do that?

Also, please take a look at the original post. I've updated it to include a lot more pertinent information. 

Pagefile.sys and hibernation.sys under C:/Wimdows/System32. They will also show up in WinDirSat and others. You can determine pagefile size from control panel and System. Hibernation is on or off AFAIK.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv