Changing fuse on amplifier line to battery.

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by MarbleHornets,
1 minute ago, veldora said:

Should I have everything plugged into the Amp first, then plug the power in? 

What could cause the sparking? It's never done that before. 

I'm pretty sure I had the ground in and everything. It's super dark out now so I packed everything up tonight. 

The way that I have always gone at it is having everything plugged into the amp then hooking up the amp to the power. And from what it sounds like, it just jumped from the wire to the connector, not terribly uncommon but defiantly always still gives me a jump no matter how small the sparks are, which is most likely the reason your fuse blew since power jumping like that tends to be pretty "dirty" power and can cause surges in lines.

Hi

I'm not an electrician. So what else do I do when I'm messing with potentially deadly lines, turn to a forum. 

While changing the orientation of my subwoofers, I disconnected the power line. Is that the first mistake? Is it better to disconnect the ground or power? 

Anyway, when I went to put the power connector back on, it shot out sparks. And broke the fuse. I probably made some stupid mistake. What do I do about this? I'm kinda scared to mess with it now, but I need to change that fuse. How do I go about doing that, safely? That was a 100 amp fuse, and the 200 pound gorilla on the potentially receiving side doesn't want to die. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

As a general rule of thumb, I always disconnect the main source of power first, whether that be the battery in a car or outlet from the wall, and I've always disconnect negative first then positive and I've had good luck going that route. Also, if you work on your subs/amp somewhat frequent, it might be a worth investment to get a power line circuit breaker in the line so you can flip it and work safely on it, then connect everything back up and turn it back on, saves a lot of hassle and tiptoeing around potential live wires. Also, don't disconnect the grounds. They're there to specifically ground the wire, a good thing in case something goes wrong. Disconnect main source of power, starting with negative first and work backwards when putting it all together. Good luck getting it back together!

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

21 minutes ago, MarbleHornets said:

As a general rule of thumb, I always disconnect the main source of power first, whether that be the battery in a car or outlet from the wall, and I've always disconnect negative first then positive and I've had good luck going that route. Also, if you work on your subs/amp somewhat frequent, it might be a worth investment to get a power line circuit breaker in the line so you can flip it and work safely on it, then connect everything back up and turn it back on, saves a lot of hassle and tiptoeing around potential live wires. Also, don't disconnect the grounds. They're there to specifically ground the wire, a good thing in case something goes wrong. Disconnect main source of power, starting with negative first and work backwards when putting it all together. Good luck getting it back together!

I'm pretty sure I had the ground in and everything. It's super dark out now so I packed everything up tonight. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, veldora said:

The way that I have always gone at it is having everything plugged into the amp then hooking up the amp to the power. And from what it sounds like, it just jumped from the wire to the connector, not terribly uncommon but defiantly always still gives me a jump no matter how small the sparks are, which is most likely the reason your fuse blew since power jumping like that tends to be pretty "dirty" power and can cause surges in lines.

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

id get a multi-meter and check for a short. In an automotive system, i wouldn't worry about getting electrocuted as the voltage is far to low, but with that much current a fire is far more likely if something goes wrong. where is your fuse located? is it only at the amp or do you have one at the positive terminal of the battery?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz