Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you re-use addressable RGB strips that have been cut?

Masters2150
 Share

Case in point: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LXYF91R/?tag=pcp0f-20&th=1

 

This thing is 204" long, way longer than I need, but inch for inch it's the best deal I can find. Obviously I don't need this long so I'd cut it where I need it. My question is, can I use the un-used portion for something else by getting some kind of connector? Or am I wasting it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you cut it thats it, i think they have little connectors to re-use them but im not sure. If you are dedicated you could use some hot glue and a needle and try to slide some cables into the existing ones and rewire it.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Case in point: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LXYF91R/?tag=pcp0f-20&th=1

 

This thing is 204" long, way longer than I need, but inch for inch it's the best deal I can find. Obviously I don't need this long so I'd cut it where I need it. My question is, can I use the un-used portion for something else by getting some kind of connector? Or am I wasting it?

Unless you are an electrician or know how to properly strip a wire to a connector which was broken off then I would not suggest doing it as it could cause a fire or other damage. This one was not designed to be used in this way and would require modification in order to be used in this manner and that has the potential to void the warranty on them. You would also have to cap off the pieces so that they do not risk causing sparks or electricity leakage in the system of lighting.

 

3 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

dedicated you could use some hot glue and a needle and try to slide some cables into the existing ones and rewire it.

Yes although it would not be easy and would be associated with many risks and rewiring these are not as easy as it seems as I have seen some with many different power connectors for different amounts of electricity and it is important to make sure that you are connecting the right ones when you are rewiring it so that the bulbs get the correct amount of energy for each color. They are usually pretty small so it could be very difficult and it would be more optimal to have them just purchased at their right lengths as it would remove a lot of risk factors and reduce points of failure of them additionally also you would not have to need to know how to have it reconnected as in terms of the internal wiring and can be assured that they are hooked up properly and protected for the lifetime of the warranty which is associated with them.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

When you cut it thats it, i think they have little connectors to re-use them but im not sure. If you are dedicated you could use some hot glue and a needle and try to slide some cables into the existing ones and rewire it.

 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

Unless you are an electrician or know how to properly strip a wire to a connector which was broken off then I would not suggest doing it as it could cause a fire or other damage. This one was not designed to be used in this way and would require modification in order to be used in this manner and that has the potential to void the warranty on them. You would also have to cap off the pieces so that they do not risk causing sparks or electricity leakage in the system of lighting.

 

Yes although it would not be easy and would be associated with many risks and rewiring these are not as easy as it seems as I have seen some with many different power connectors for different amounts of electricity and it is important to make sure that you are connecting the right ones when you are rewiring it so that the bulbs get the correct amount of energy for each color. They are usually pretty small so it could be very difficult and it would be more optimal to have them just purchased at their right lengths as it would remove a lot of risk factors and reduce points of failure of them additionally also you would not have to need to know how to have it reconnected as in terms of the internal wiring and can be assured that they are hooked up properly and protected for the lifetime of the warranty which is associated with them.

Well that sucks. I can get 24" for $20 or 204" for $60...

 

Wait....I knew it was too good to be true at that price. 

According to http://www.kingwin.com/accessories/krgb-led-204ad/

They are addressable since since they plug into 5v, but they are only 20 colors....not full RGB.

Guess I'll check out Cablemod's addressable strips. they're just insanely expensive comparatively.

 

Anyone know any other good addressable RGB strips?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Well that sucks. I can get 24" for $20 or 204" for $60...

 

Wait....I knew it was too good to be true at that price. 

According to http://www.kingwin.com/accessories/krgb-led-204ad/

They are addressable since since they plug into 5v, but they are only 20 colors....not full RGB.

Guess I'll check out Cablemod's addressable strips. they're just insanely expensive comparatively.

 

Anyone know any other good addressable RGB strips?

I will link one which I have used before and I would be able to say that they are amazing and come in many different configuration operations and host virtually infinite color combinations and selections. The manufacturer of this RGB strip is Foxanon and they are good quality although you probably have to additionally wait for the shipping from China unless you are in China or near there.

 

link to the aforementioned product on eBay:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/WS2812B-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Lights-5M-60-144-2M-150-300-Individual-Addressable-5V/273443293186?hash=item3faa7d8802:m:mO7ZuDOlKx_nXiPHAv99uSA:rk:1:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Unless you are an electrician or know how to properly strip a wire to a connector which was broken off then I would not suggest doing it as it could cause a fire or other damage. This one was not designed to be used in this way and would require modification in order to be used in this manner and that has the potential to void the warranty on them. You would also have to cap off the pieces so that they do not risk causing sparks or electricity leakage in the system of lighting.

 

Yes although it would not be easy and would be associated with many risks and rewiring these are not as easy as it seems as I have seen some with many different power connectors for different amounts of electricity and it is important to make sure that you are connecting the right ones when you are rewiring it so that the bulbs get the correct amount of energy for each color. They are usually pretty small so it could be very difficult and it would be more optimal to have them just purchased at their right lengths as it would remove a lot of risk factors and reduce points of failure of them additionally also you would not have to need to know how to have it reconnected as in terms of the internal wiring and can be assured that they are hooked up properly and protected for the lifetime of the warranty which is associated with them.

When In doubt use a larger gauge. Op it's really not hard to rewire these and it just takes common sense. Don't let anyone scare you out of it.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

When In doubt use a larger gauge. Op it's really not hard to rewire these and it just takes common sense. Don't let anyone scare you out of it.

To clarify, I did not want to scare the original poster out of getting this LED strip and rewiring it although I wanted for the original poster to understand the risks to look out for and give that original poster some disadvantages towards doing it. Although in the end, respondents to forums are there to help your understanding and give you some advising/s and information before you may choose to do something which could be potentially hazardous and I would never want for someone to think that I am scaring people out of doing something which they may decide or want to do and I have the intention for letting the original poster to keep in mind some general disadvantages and risks to note before rewiring the RGB LED strip in this specific case. The one which had been linked was not a addressable one and therefore the original poster has made the choice to not select it. If you get a really good deal on a larger one and are willing to put the effort into rewiring and understand the disadvantages and risks associated with doing so then by all means go ahead and make the decision to get it rewired.

 

Spoiler

*Note that this post has contained some content which can be considered as potentially risky and I would highly recommend having a good understanding of associated risks before taking action. I can't be held responsible for any potential damage which is caused in the decision to take action without having had understood the risks and having the acceptance that they could happen and that you may have to deal/part/accept with their output such as your RGB LED strip getting fried or causing a fire if wired incorrectly. 

 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

To clarify, I did not want to scare the original poster out of getting this LED strip and rewiring it although I wanted for the original poster to understand the risks to look out for and give that original poster some disadvantages towards doing it. Although in the end, respondents to forums are there to help your understanding and give you some advising/s and information before you may choose to do something which could be potentially hazardous and I would never want for someone to think that I am scaring people out of doing something which they may decide or want to do and I have the intention for letting the original poster to keep in mind some general disadvantages and risks to note before rewiring the RGB LED strip in this specific case. The one which had been linked was not a addressable one and therefore the original poster has made the choice to not select it. If you get a really good deal on a larger one and are willing to put the effort into rewiring and understand the disadvantages and risks associated with doing so then by all means go ahead and make the decision to get it rewired.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

*Note that this post has contained some content which can be considered as potentially risky and I would highly recommend having a good understanding of associated risks before taking action. I can't be held responsible for any potential damage which is caused in the decision to take action without having had understood the risks and having the acceptance that they could happen and that you may have to deal/part/accept with their output such as your RGB LED strip getting fried or causing a fire if wired incorrectly. 

 

Tl:Dr

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

To clarify, I did not want to scare the original poster out of getting this LED strip and rewiring it although I wanted for the original poster to understand the risks to look out for and give that original poster some disadvantages towards doing it. Although in the end, respondents to forums are there to help your understanding and give you some advising/s and information before you may choose to do something which could be potentially hazardous and I would never want for someone to think that I am scaring people out of doing something which they may decide or want to do and I have the intention for letting the original poster to keep in mind some general disadvantages and risks to note before rewiring the RGB LED strip in this specific case. The one which had been linked was not a addressable one and therefore the original poster has made the choice to not select it. If you get a really good deal on a larger one and are willing to put the effort into rewiring and understand the disadvantages and risks associated with doing so then by all means go ahead and make the decision to get it rewired.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

*Note that this post has contained some content which can be considered as potentially risky and I would highly recommend having a good understanding of associated risks before taking action. I can't be held responsible for any potential damage which is caused in the decision to take action without having had understood the risks and having the acceptance that they could happen and that you may have to deal/part/accept with their output such as your RGB LED strip getting fried or causing a fire if wired incorrectly. 

 

Hey no thats fine, I welcome the input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×