building my house... questions

iLostMyXbox21

^^^

when i turn 16, i am gonna get a job and save up for me to build a house. i do not want anything complex, all the rooms will be flat out cubes.. so some quick monetary calculations show that at 16, i can get a job and (if) i work at minimum wage, i can get $8.25 an hour, and at that rate, i can make up to $247.5 a week, or $12,870 a year for 2 years so $25,740 over the time of me being 16 and 17.. however i am probably not going to work at minimum wage the whole time, these are just the bare minimums i can make.. but after i turn 18 i can legally work myself as long as i want and i will probably be working way more than the 30 hours 16 and 17 year olds can work here..

here ae my plans:

• 3 bedrooms (if i plan on having 2 kids, if not just one room) (including master bedroom)
  • 2 bathrooms 
  • 1/2 an acre
  • kitchen
  • living room
  • recording room

now the bedrooms are not gonna be anything special, as i said everything is just cubes so the bedrooms are just gonna be about 8 feet tall, and a bit big if i have the money..

the bathrooms will be connected to a septic tank, as to avoid having to use the sewers.. no bathtubs just stand in showers. 

the yard is something i will never use but i plan on having 1 or 2 kids who might want to ise it

kitchen will be just a stove, oven, sink, fridge, and dishwasher (a really good dishwasher)

living room will be the biggest room in the house because i plan on having a big tv and a whole entertainment system in there for the family / guests

my recording room is the heart of this build, i am more picky over this then over my whole build and this is where i need most assistance on. i want the room to be 8ft x  feet, 7 foot roof, and completely soundproof. i want the walls to have a solid inch of concrete and over that i want about an inch or so of soundproofing panels, then i want the wall. then i want sound dampening foam. the 1 inch sound dampening foam is to decorate. i want it to be soundproof.. soundproof to the point where i can be yelling and no sound escapes the room. why? youtube, twitch, and music making. 

i will be working in google sketchup to 3d model everythnig and then i will update here but this is just day 1 of my planning.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

you'll need like 300 grands to build that boy

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

you'll need like 300 grands to build that boy

yeahs its gonna be expensive, which is why i am gonna save up until i can afford it, and at 18 i am gonna get 2 jobs if i can

Houses can be built on the cheap, but likely not custom houses of your own design. In order to have any bank finance it you'll need the plans signed off by engineers, which is not cheap. You'd be much better off going to a local builder, picking out a floor plan that they've already got signed off, and making small changes to tailor it to your needs. 

Concrete rooms in the basement is actually not all that expensive in and of themselves, but it does create some more expenses when it comes to networking and electrical in that room. 

Also, it's almost always cheaper hooking up to city sewer to build a septic system. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Houses can be built on the cheap, but likely not custom houses of your own design. In order to have any bank finance it you'll need the plans signed off by engineers, which is not cheap. You'd be much better off going to a local builder, picking out a floor plan that they've already got signed off, and making small changes to tailor it to your needs. 

Concrete rooms in the basement is actually not all that expensive in and of themselves, but it does create some more expenses when it comes to networking and electrical in that room. 

Also, it's almost always cheaper hooking up to city sewer to build a septic system. 

yeah i looked into it and fiberglass would be my best bet rather than concrete.. it is cheaper, lighter, and has pretty good reviews. nonetheless, i will continue looking into it and saving up

i actually might just build it underground ( the recording room) so that way nature can be my soundproofing.. as for electrical i plan on having just a few outlets running down there so i can hook up lights and my pc / mic / everything else i need. plus internet would not be a problem, i will probably have it under my router which i can then drag the ethernet through a small hole, and by the time i build this internet will probably be alot better

i never thought to just get local builders to do floorpans and such.. i really do not care how it is laid out as long as it works

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Heavily depends on the area. Close to Frankfurt (Main) you will lock more at a million with building ground. If you go 50km into the hills it will be possible with 300k.

florida, hopefully not for long i wanna move up north soon. maybe around michigan or illinoid. somewhere up there so i can have snow

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

yeah i looked into it and fiberglass would be my best bet rather than concrete.. it is cheaper, lighter, and has pretty good reviews. nonetheless, i will continue looking into it and saving up

i actually might just build it underground ( the recording room) so that way nature can be my soundproofing.. as for electrical i plan on having just a few outlets running down there so i can hook up lights and my pc / mic / everything else i need. plus internet would not be a problem, i will probably have it under my router which i can then drag the ethernet through a small hole, and by the time i build this internet will probably be alot better

i never thought to just get local builders to do floorpans and such.. i really do not care how it is laid out as long as it works

People who have designed and build 100 houses are going to do a better job at it than you are, it just is what it is. 

For the soundproofing, I would think you could accomplish most of what you want with just 2x6 walls with fiberglass insulation in them. It's not completely soundproof but would cost a metric fuck ton less and get you 95% of the way there. 

I built my cabin four years ago, it was... an experience...

Bring way more money than the original estimates. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

People who have designed and build 100 houses are going to do a better job at it than you are, it just is what it is. 

For the soundproofing, I would think you could accomplish most of what you want with just 2x6 walls with fiberglass insulation in them. It's not completely soundproof but would cost a metric fuck ton less and get you 95% of the way there. 

I built my cabin four years ago, it was... an experience...

Bring way more money than the original estimates. 

i really only have experience in small construction jobs (fences, chairs, tables, etc)

thanks for your help im gonna start researching some more when my ipad is more then %25 charged, plus i still have at least 2 years to plan

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i really only have experience in small construction jobs (fences, chairs, tables, etc)

thanks for your help im gonna start researching some more when my ipad is more then %25 charged, plus i still have at least 2 years to plan

Not that you asked, but I'm planning on building my next house, and here are a few of the semi-custom things on my list:

1: CAT 6 to every wall of every bedroom, plus locations high and low at each TV location, plus corners of the exterior eaves for security cameras. 

2: 48" refrigerator

3: Outlets and lights on seperate circuits, everywhere. 

4: Natural gas stove, ovens, water heater, furnace, and dryer. With a line run to the garage for a future heater. 

5: CAT 6 run to WiFi Access Point locations in the ceiling

6: 9ft ceilings both main floor and basement

7: Household generator hookup

8: Ceiling fans in every bedroom

9: Switched outlets under the exterior eaves for christmas lights

10: Quartz kitchen countertops

11: Pot filler over stove

12: Double oven

Those are the things that come to mind immediately. 

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

9ft ceilings both main floor and basement

i dont see the point in roofs more then 3 feet taller then you..

unless you are 6ft.. then that would explain why you want 9ft roofs

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i dont see the point in roofs more then 3 feet taller then you..

unless you are 6ft.. then that would explain why you want 9ft roofs

I'm 5'10" but taller ceilings make rooms feel bigger. It's more of a luxury than anything practical. 

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm 5'10" but taller ceilings make rooms feel bigger. It's more of a luxury than anything practical. 

true.. im 5’8.5”

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

true.. im 5’8.5”

Anything over 8ft is certainly not necessary by any means, just kinda nice. 

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

Anything over 8ft is certainly not necessary by any means, just kinda nice. 

ohh, see i think big roofs are just to compensate for something ;) 

Depending on area and market conditions probably $125/sq.ft. if you cheap out, average would be $175/sq.ft not to mention you have to buy the property, pay taxes, pay utility bills, install a septic system if needed. If you want to save money, you should start working on a roofing crew for a summer, then get on to a framing crew, do some concrete pouring and learn floating, trim is easy, cabinets are easy. Cribbing is such hard work, but its easy to build your own and rent tools.

You should get into the habit of saving.

You should get into the habit of low risk investing and diversify.

You should get into the habit of not buying shit for the sake of buying shit.

You should get into the habit of not buying new vehicles, but buying used vehicles and maintaining them well and learning to fix them when they break down. Newer vehicles are useless, buy pre 1997 and you are golden.

Saving is about habits, do not buy that Starbucks coffee everyday.

Learn to know how much products cost in different stores.

Learn and do, and you could retire at age 45 very easily, and most likely build that home at age 30, wife, kids.

The trick is your career path!

Minimum wage jobs are for starting out, not a life long thing. Get a trade, say in the oil patch and you could make six figures very easily.

If you live in the US, let me give you some insider advice: Steel studs. Easier to work with, straight, and usually cheaper.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Minimum wage jobs are for starting out, not a life long thing.

ik, what i said above was a worse case scenario kind of thing

thanks for your input i will make sure to look into it all

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

If you live in the US, let me give you some insider advice: Steel studs. Easier to work with, straight, and usually cheaper.

okay thanks

7 minutes ago, Disgruntled Homer said:

I'd reccomend building an extra bedroom just in case you have long-term guests. 

i dont plan on having long term guest over

Why not just buy a bunch of sea cans and place into whatever house you want.

Its the "new" thang!

Make sure to invest in solar panels as early as possible. Huge difference. 

46 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Make sure to invest in solar panels as early as possible. Huge difference. 

I would first look into alternatives, especially if the op is buying a big enough chunk of land.

Gasification Generator to be precise.

7 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

i dont plan on having long term guest over

If you are building a house, you are probably living it for the next 20 years, so it is better to build more rooms, because plans change.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I would first look into alternatives, especially if the op is buying a big enough chunk of land.

Gasification Generator to be precise.

Not as eco-friendly though

1 hour ago, campy said:

As someone who is 22 and has been working high income jobs for years now, youre not gonna save up the money to do that in any time under a decade. Its just not realistic, you cant save every dollar you make, you have to get a car, you have to pay for gas, car maintenance, you have to pay for the insurance on it, you have to put money away for when your beater eventually dies because its sadly gonna happen, a 1993 Buick Regal cant last forever.

At some point someone is going to want you to move out, and its gonna be pretty fast as soon as you have a stable income. Then comes rent and utility bills, the expense of furniture and household necessities, if you want internet thats also expensive.

Groceries, miscellaneous expenses, drowning out your stress in alcohol, etc

Its just not realistic for you to set up this plan at 16 to work til you have the money to build your own house, because realistically youre gonna be saving for an incredibly long time, building your own house is something mainly retired people do, youre looking at something 30-40 years from now at 16. Dont start off with this goal in mind to reach late term success early on, because its not gonna happen and youre just gonna end up stressed out, broke and disappointed.

Im 22 years old, i made 21$ an hour the day i left highschool, and then more from there. And the most i can realistically do is afford a decent two bedroom apartment, and my rent isnt even expensive by a long shot, and i drive a 2002 dodge durango. A lot of money gets sunk into things you dont think about and dont expect when youre on your own.

You can build a mansion in the middle of a desert with a couple 100k USD however. The prices in big city is no doubt going to be mad expensive. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not as eco-friendly though

Hmmmmmm high prices from grid, high initial cost for solar, or cheap even free wood!