Questions about SATA SSDs VS M.2.

bigpak

Hello, I was looking at some SSD's and I noticed the price has changed significantly since I bought my SSD. I was looking at M.2 SSD's and I saw the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, What exactly are the differences between a SATA SSD, and an NVME PCIE ssd? I understand that the sata connection effectively bottlenecks how fast an SSD can run, and that PCIE is a lot faster. Will I see a large increase in how fast I can move/copy files? What will be noticeable if I were to upgrade.

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

speed and less cables. I generally don't see that much difference between a 860 evo or 970 evo in daily workloads exept for moving files. I personally like to keep it on sata

9 minutes ago, bigpak said:

I understand that the sata connection effectively bottlenecks how fast an SSD can run, and that PCIE is a lot faster.

Yes, that's true.

Will I see a large increase in how fast I can move/copy files?

If you move large files to and from your SSD often, or you're using the SSD as a scratch disk for video editing or as a cache, then get a PCIe SSD.

What will be noticeable if I were to upgrade.

Depends on your workload(s).

TL;DR: Get a PCIe SSD if you use it as a scratch disk or something, get a SATA SSD if you're a more of a "mainstream" consumer. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones