Networking issue that seems to be getting worse (Really need help)

So the problem started way back when my family started upgrading the internet. the main office which is on the opposite side of the house from my room holds the router where a few laptops and computers are connected through ethernet. Because the router is far away we have a ethernet cable connected to a wifi extender which connects to another extender in my room. That extender really helps because without it i basically get no wifi. After upgrading our wifi my internet seemed to be getting worse. We upgraded a few times actually even switching internet providers, but the problem is still getting worst. We tried to switch network adapters for my computer but that for whatever reason seemed to make it worst too. My brother, who is in the room next to me, doesn't seem to have too many problems with the wifi, but is computer, xbox, phone, and laptop is all connected to it, while i have to turn off the wifi for my laptop and phone to make it a little better for me. Like I said before, we only upgraded so our internet shouldn't be getting worse. Whenever i play games im always at 100+ ping and on some hours 200+ making the games unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, FlamingOnion_1 said:

So the problem started way back when my family started upgrading the internet. the main office which is on the opposite side of the house from my room holds the router where a few laptops and computers are connected through ethernet. Because the router is far away we have a ethernet cable connected to a wifi extender which connects to another extender in my room. That extender really helps because without it i basically get no wifi. After upgrading our wifi my internet seemed to be getting worse. We upgraded a few times actually even switching internet providers, but the problem is still getting worst. We tried to switch network adapters for my computer but that for whatever reason seemed to make it worst too. My brother, who is in the room next to me, doesn't seem to have too many problems with the wifi, but is computer, xbox, phone, and laptop is all connected to it, while i have to turn off the wifi for my laptop and phone to make it a little better for me. Like I said before, we only upgraded so our internet shouldn't be getting worse. Whenever i play games im always at 100+ ping and on some hours 200+ making the games unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. 

how many devices are on your WiFi.

WiFi operates on a round robin, so each device gets a bit of airtime, then the next, then the next.  So the more devices, the more latency, the greater the strain on your router, and the slower the perceived speed will be.  Your router likely has a certain amount of wireless bandwidth available that all devices share,  so if you are all using it heavily, thatll make things worse too.

Look for a MIMO or MUMIMO Router, preferably dual or tri-band if you have more than 10 high bandwidth devices hooked up.  and definitely tri band if you want good ping.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

how many devices are on your WiFi.

WiFi operates on a round robin, so each device gets a bit of airtime, then the next, then the next.  So the more devices, the more latency, the greater the strain on your router, and the slower the perceived speed will be.  Your router likely has a certain amount of wireless bandwidth available that all devices share,  so if you are all using it heavily, thatll make things worse too.

Look for a MIMO or MUMIMO Router, preferably dual or tri-band if you have more than 10 high bandwidth devices hooked up.  and definitely tri band if you want good ping.

I have about ~5-8 devices using wifi and 2 using ethernet

Just now, FlamingOnion_1 said:

I have about ~5-8 devices using wifi and 2 using ethernet

what router do you have.

And 2 of those 8 are an xbox, and a desktop.  Presumably both are being used for gaming.  which is heavily ping dependant.  the others are phones?  Laptops?  Chromcasts?

Streaming video will mean that the streaming device will get more of the routers attention (because its asking for more bandwitdh) which means higher ping for everyone else.  Streaming doesnt give two shits about high ping, so you wont notice it there.... but you will if you are grinding out some rainbow 6.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

3 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

what router do you have.

And 2 of those 8 are an xbox, and a desktop.  Presumably both are being used for gaming.  which is heavily ping dependant.  the others are phones?  Laptops?  Chromcasts?

Streaming video will mean that the streaming device will get more of the routers attention (because its asking for more bandwitdh) which means higher ping for everyone else.  Streaming doesnt give two shits about high ping, so you wont notice it there.... but you will if you are grinding out some rainbow 6.

yeah i would say we have 2 desktops, an xbox, 1 laptop, and 2-4 phones depending on if i keep my wifi on for my phone.

4 minutes ago, FlamingOnion_1 said:

yeah i would say we have 2 desktops, an xbox, 1 laptop, and 2-4 phones depending on if i keep my wifi on for my phone.

try reducing the number if you can.  Like just the Xbox, or just one desktop, and see what performance is like.

you want to start removing variables, there may be a certain use-case, or certain device that is the problem.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

The problem here is all the "extenders" pull a cable from the router into your PC or get a ssmall switch to replace one of the extenders then pull a cable form there. Those are your only options. Your internet is not getting better.

Unless you are using a MIMO wifi system your connection is half-duplex and as the poster above said it is also done in a round robin way. So that means each device you connect to the wifi cuts your wifi speed in half.

So if you have say 150mbps of maximum wifi speed on your router and you have a wifi extender connected via wireless... it now only has 75MBPS it can hand out. Add your phone you now have 37.5MBPS left, connect and Xbox it crops to 18.75, connect your pc and you are now down to 9.375mpbs...

So my point is that this setup isn't going to play well to having a lot of devices. You will be better off in this situation to either upgrade your router and repeaters to something that supports MIMO and beamforming or to spending the money on a mesh network. That is if you have to have wireless connections, your best bet would be to run ethernet cable, but failiing that possibility powerline could also be a viable option.