• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Total noob soft pipe water cooling questions

Xaryon

Go to solution Solved by MedievalMatt,
12 minutes ago, Xaryon said:

Hi,

I'm really tempted to get into custom water cooling for my rig, but I can't wrap my head around it. If I understand it correctly:

- the simplest loop is reservoir -> pump (next to res, so it won't run dry) -> GPU -> CPU -> radiator + fan(s) -> res again.

Is this right?

Another thing: I don't understand how the hell is the GPU or CPU chip so cold compared to AIOs or air cooling, if the water is going from one block through another, taking even more heat.  Am I missing something?

order is not important past res -> pump -> whatever looks badass.

You could do res->pump->CPU->RAD->GPU->2nd RAD-> and back if you really wanted to.

and its not that your temps will be lower (though they will to a degree) its that water is much more effective at absorbing the heat and taking it somewhere else for dispersal.  This will mean better temps under load.

The fluid is also constantly circulating, so in terms of volume every second there is say a teaspoon of water in contact with your CPU block, then its gone.  Thats not enough time for the water to get hot enough to impact other components.  Order is not important at all.

Hi,

I'm really tempted to get into custom water cooling for my rig, but I can't wrap my head around it. If I understand it correctly:

- the simplest loop is reservoir -> pump (next to res, so it won't run dry) -> GPU -> CPU -> radiator + fan(s) -> res again.

Is this right?

Another thing: I don't understand how the hell is the GPU or CPU chip so cold compared to AIOs or air cooling, if the water is going from one block through another, taking even more heat.  Am I missing something?

"xCube" -> CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x | RAM: Palit 32 (2x 16GB) DDR4 CL16 | MOBO: Biostar x370GTN ver. 5.x | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Extreme 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS Series 650W | Storage: SSD: ADATA SX8200PNP 512GB NVMe & Kingston SA400 960GB / HDD: HGST 4TB & WD Black 2TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 240 Air

Hi,

Is this right?

order is not important past res -> pump -> whatever looks badass.

You could do res->pump->CPU->RAD->GPU->2nd RAD-> and back if you really wanted to.

and its not that your temps will be lower (though they will to a degree) its that water is much more effective at absorbing the heat and taking it somewhere else for dispersal.  This will mean better temps under load.

The fluid is also constantly circulating, so in terms of volume every second there is say a teaspoon of water in contact with your CPU block, then its gone.  Thats not enough time for the water to get hot enough to impact other components.  Order is not important at all.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Hi,

Is this right?

loop order doesn't matter except res>pump like you said yourself.

the loop will equalize no matter what order.

also AIO's are not that far of custom loop temps

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-12700KF 5.1ghz/4.1Ghz - Asus GTX 1080TI Strix OC - Corsair vengeance 32GB 3200Mhz -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

34 minutes ago, wildthing said:

loop order doesn't matter except res>pump like you said yourself.

the loop will equalize no matter what order.

also AIO's are not that far of custom loop temps

A lot of what depends on the custom loop TBH.  Your average AIO is like 15+c DeltaT. Custom loops can go down to 3-5c DeltaT 5c is about the sweet spot in money/performance though as going below that hits diminishing returns pretty quick. Now most people with a custom loop are between 5-10c if I had to guess.

Also they are right in saying loop order doesn't matter. You have to think how fast the water is flowing. So it is going to spend the same amount of time in the blocks and rad's regardless of where they are placed. What matters is your water temp which can fluctuate between 1-2C from hottest to coolest in your loop, but normally it is less than 1c which isn't going to make much difference to a components temp... 1c more water temp is 1c more for that component.

Cpu's do benefit decently from water cooling, but the biggest gains are seen on GPU's in my experience. My old 1080ti would run 75-80C when under 100% load with a custom fan cooler (EVGA) where with a gpu block it dropped to 38-44C under full load.

A CPU might drop anywhere from 2-10c from going from high end AIR to Custom loop. So the gains aren't as big.