Streaming service for blockbuster movies?

RejZoR

I'm wondering, is there any service where you can legally watch latest movies? On most paid services like Netflix, they arrive in months, same on HBO for example. Why isn't there a service where movies are slightly cheaper than cinema ticket and you can watch them as soon as they are in cinemas? I'm too lazy and not too big of a fan of crowds and I'd like to watch latest movies in comfort of my home.

Recently I've seen some news about Youtube Movies which is alright except some prices are absolutely bonkers. Months and years old movies for 6€ and up, even up to 18€. Which is just absurd. 4-5€ a movie, even if only leased for lets say 6 hours would be reasonable if that means I can watch any new movie right away.

So, is there any? I have no problems paying for content (within reasonable limits of course), but availability is absolutely garbage. And then they wonder why piracy is so widespread...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Pretty sure pirating is the main reason why movie theatres still exist, if they start streaming new releases to peoples homes then people will start pirating them much easier 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 minute ago, AntiTrust said:

Pretty sure pirating is the main reason why movie theatres still exist, if they start streaming new releases to peoples homes then people will start pirating them much easier 

Or, you know, paying for them... I mean, isn't that the success story of Steam? They didn't go back to physical copies, it's the only reason why physical copies basically disappeared. I literally can't be bothered to pirate a game because buying one is much more convenient and easy. I can't even be bothered with cracks anymore.

So, what do you think will drive the sales? Insisting on archaic outdated cinemas I literally can't be bothered to visit anymore or a service where obtaining legal content is so effortless that it's not even worth bothering with torrent sites and chasing whateverTube sites that host pirated movies?

Only real reason why cinemas still exist is because movie industry is stuck in the past and they stubbornly refuse to move forward. All they know is cry about piracy and do absolutely nothing to bring content faster and cheaper to the consumers. All industries have to adapt to consumers, just movie industry thinks its something special and they dont' have to.

So, anything other than Youtube Movies?

The cinema industry makes too much money off the concessions to stop. Just because you do not like cinemas doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.

On topic: Prima Cinema is currently the only commercial option right now assuming you can afford the high price tag.

4 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

The cinema industry makes too much money off the concessions to stop. Just because you do not like cinemas doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.

On topic: Prima Cinema is currently the only commercial option right now assuming you can afford the high price tag.

Semi on Topic - The google play store lets you pre-order movies now.  i want to know who TF does that?

Who are the idiots pre-ordering anything anymore?!

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

Semi on Topic - The google play store lets you pre-order movies now.  i want to know who TF does that?

Are there usually incentives to pre-order them? It's not like they will run out of movies.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Are there usually incentives to pre-order them? It's not like they will run out of movies.

thats the thing, there isnt that i can think of.  and for a streaming movie platform i cant for the life of my understand.  the pre-orders are also slightly more expensive than the normal release.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

It's different for movies though. This isn't the first time you see it. 

For a game NO. Do not pre-order it unless you want to throw money away. 

For a movie, I'll pre-order it IF I see it in a theater and like it. Mainly just for behind the scenes and so I can put it on my laptop or phone. 

Example: I watched The Martian in theaters. Loved it. Pre-Ordered the blu-ray through amazon and watched the behind the scenes as soon as it arrived. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, Brink2Three said:

It's different for movies though. This isn't the first time you see it. 

For a game NO. Do not pre-order it unless you want to throw money away. 

For a movie, I'll pre-order it IF I see it in a theater and like it. Mainly just for behind the scenes and so I can put it on my laptop or phone. 

Example: I watched The Martian in theaters. Loved it. Pre-Ordered the blu-ray through amazon and watched the behind the scenes as soon as it arrived. 

While i would agree with your premise for pre-ordering a movie, and that seems like a legit case.  the play store specifically doesn't have much in terms of bonus feature, if any.

We got some with the star wars bundle, and a couple other films (we have over 300 at this point) but on the whole you just get the movie.

Linux Daily Driver:

Gaming Rig:

Server

8 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

While i would agree with your premise for pre-ordering a movie, and that seems like a legit case.  the play store specifically doesn't have much in terms of bonus feature, if any.

We got some with the star wars bundle, and a couple other films (we have over 300 at this point) but on the whole you just get the movie.

I was mainly replying to the "Who are the idiots pre-ordering anything anymore?!" comment. :P

And yeah iTunes seems to be the best for BTS footage for streaming services. Usually I just buy the blu-ray pack if I want all of the bts though. 

Useful tip: The native English version doesn't always have the most extras... I've purchased German and Swedish versions of a movie and watched the extras with subtitles on before. There was more extra footage then actual movie in both cases. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

52 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Or, you know, paying for them... I mean, isn't that the success story of Steam? They didn't go back to physical copies, it's the only reason why physical copies basically disappeared. I literally can't be bothered to pirate a game because buying one is much more convenient and easy. I can't even be bothered with cracks anymore.

I guess one difference is that movies are alot smaller files and much easier to release than games. Look at game of thrones for example, its been pirated hundreds of millions of times. plus I mean whats the incentive for home releases, most movies still make a boatload of money at the box office. 

I don't think theatres will be around for forever, but I kinda doubt well see home releases any time soon. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

So, the closest thing then is sticking with HBO/HBO GO and hoping they bring the movie I might want to watch soon enough. Eventually. In couple of months.