1 meter away from router and still slow

McCloud

I am living in a flat with a lot of neighbors - and a lot of different hotspots. 

I am guessing this is the reason for poor wlan quality (speed). Very poor. I'm literally 1-2 meters away from the router (TL-WR941ND) and the speeds are much lower when compared to cable. 

I've worked as a network administrator but never saw a connection being this bad. 

Is there any way to improve this, apart from trying to optimize the channel? Unfortunately, it's only a 2,4GHz, and 11bgn mixed mode,  so I don't have too many options.

2,4 GHz will be crowded, especially in a densely populated area. Try switching to a different band.

Also on a side note: Connection speed doesn't necessarily improve the closer you get to a router, there is such a thing as too close to a router. Your wifi signal is usually doughnut-shaped

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

54 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

2,4 GHz will be crowded, especially in a densely populated area. Try switching to a different band.

Also on a side note: Connection speed doesn't necessarily improve the closer you get to a router, there is such a thing as too close to a router. Your wifi signal is usually doughnut-shaped

oh, interesting.. thanks.

10 hours ago, McCloud said:

I am living in a flat with a lot of neighbors - and a lot of different hotspots. 

I am guessing this is the reason for poor wlan quality (speed). Very poor. I'm literally 1-2 meters away from the router (TL-WR941ND) and the speeds are much lower when compared to cable. 

I've worked as a network administrator but never saw a connection being this bad. 

Is there any way to improve this, apart from trying to optimize the channel? Unfortunately, it's only a 2,4GHz, and 11bgn mixed mode,  so I don't have too many options.

Yeah, um... even a 5G network will eventually become sluggish if there are more than 5+ networks fighting for channel bandwidth in close proximity to each other. The solution here is to ask each of your neighbors to turn off their wireless, move to a different location, or...

10 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

use Ethernet 

... use an ethernet connection, because ethernet is best connection. Well, I mean, at least for home use. Fibre would be better but it's expensive for home use.

10 hours ago, myselfolli said:

Mmmm donuts.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

As per others you want to roll dual band equipment as there's a lot more airspace you don't have to contend with.

Distance is kind of irrelevant if there's a lot of neighboring interference.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C