Help with getting vr and AI ready pc

Stinos

Hey,

I'm looking for a desktop that is able to vr game the most games but also is good for AI (artificial intelligence) training.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is 1000-1200 euro for everything (shipping included). Because I live in Europe it's very tricky for import fee's mostly they are around 20% if i order something of the VS.

2. Aim

I wanna be able to enjoy VR games on normal settings for the first couple of years. And i also want it to decent deal with AI training, i know their are cloud solutions for AI training but a decent rig should be cheaper than a cloud based solution...

3. Monitors

Nothing to fancy here, I (non-vr) game on any setting as long it runs decent (30-40fps for most games). I now have a ultra wide 2K display but for games and i often scale the resolution down for performance.

4. Peripherals

Being able to attach a VR game headset and still having place for some additional usb would be fine. 

I recently saw a old workstation I could use and replace GPU by a gtx 1080.

Specs:

• 2 x Intel X5690 CPU
  • 96 GB DDR3 RAM
  • T7500 motherboard
  • Nvidia quadro FX580 GPU.  => I would replace this
  • 1100 watt Silver PSU

The server cost 300 euro. Than I have plenty of money for a old gtx 1080...

I saw the workstation only have a pci-e 2.0 interface for the GPU, is this a significant bottleneck for the gtx 1080 or should i replace with another GPU? Or should i go for a dual lower-tier GPU?

Any idea is welcome, i prefer pre-builds because i don't really wanna spend to much time in searching how to do it safely ect...

The X5690 is old and doesn't support AVX. That can cause issues in VR. The Quadro FX580 is very old and utterly unsuitable for VR.

I think you would be much better off getting a new system instead, or at least buying a more modern used system.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

The X5690 is old and doesn't support AVX. That can cause issues in VR. The Quadro FX580 is very old and utterly unsuitable for VR.

I think you would be much better off getting a new system instead, or at least buying a more modern used system.

Do you have any recommendation?

But apart from VR it would be doable to game on it with a decent GPU? Does the PCI-e 2.0 a big bottleneck?

1 hour ago, Stinos said:

Do you have any recommendation?

But apart from VR it would be doable to game on it with a decent GPU? Does the PCI-e 2.0 a big bottleneck?

It could game somewhat reasonably, but you'd have a CPU bottleneck with a good GPU. PCIe 2.0 is less of a concern.

You could maybe go for a prebuilt with a Ryzen 7 and an RX 580 or GTX 1060 6GB.