AD-700x for FPS Games? Amp/Dac/Soundcard?

10CPS

Hey so I'm looking for some quality headphones that will be best for hearing enemy direction and footsteps. I've done some research and it seems open back headphones like the Ath AD-700x will be my best bet for detecting enemy noise. Would the ATH-M50x headphones be a noticeable downgrade in soundscape? I'd like a nice overall sound quality for listening to music and watching movies, and I read the 700x can be lacking in that regard. All in all I want headphones that make detecting enemy position easy, and good sound quality for listening entertainment as a bonus. Will a soundcard/amd/dac help with sound direction or with the overall sound quality? I have the Asus ROG Strix X470 motherboard. 

AD-700X wouldn't benefit from an amp in terms of sound quality because it is not difficult to drive, so you wouldn't notice a difference from your motherboards built in audio. If you play at loud volumes, then take a look at the Schiit line of amplifiers, they can really make a difference for gaming. If you're going to purchase a headphone from the AD line for gaming and also entertainment as you mentioned, then I would definitely look at the AD-900X and perhaps even AD-1000x if you can stretch your budget. And those also do not require amps.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

26 minutes ago, Jz1 said:

AD-700X wouldn't benefit from an amp in terms of sound quality because it is not difficult to drive, so you wouldn't notice a difference from your motherboards built in audio. If you play at loud volumes, then take a look at the Schiit line of amplifiers, they can really make a difference for gaming. If you're going to purchase a headphone from the AD line for gaming and also entertainment as you mentioned, then I would definitely look at the AD-900X and perhaps even AD-1000x if you can stretch your budget. And those also do not require amps.

Yeah I was looking at the 900x as well, the 700s just seem to be mentioned a lot more often. Would the 900x have the same ease of hearing footsteps, and better sound? Which has better sound between the 900x and M50x would you say

1 hour ago, 10CPS said:

Yeah I was looking at the 900x as well, the 700s just seem to be mentioned a lot more often. Would the 900x have the same ease of hearing footsteps, and better sound? Which has better sound between the 900x and M50x would you say

The imaging and soundstage of the AD700X is practically the same as the AD900X, the only difference is the bass. If you like more bass, then get the 900 without a question.

The biggest difference between those two headphones is that the AD is open and the M50X is closed. The AD is light on bass and can sound airy, and doesn't isolate as well as the M50X which is known for its V Shape sound signature and punchy bass. All though providing a good seal and isolating well, the M50x can be a very harsh and irritating headphone to wear for longer than 40 minutes due to its brightness and clamping ear-cup design where as the AD is more of a relaxed headphone that sits on your head. When it comes to soundstage and imaging, the AD is a winner by far as its open back design is perfect for the natural sound of the source and can provide great directional information, which is why its the FPS gaming king of headphones. The M40X and M50x do not compare in that regard.

Also, vocals on the AD will sound better as the mids on the M50X are not there.

Hopefully this information has helped you, good luck :)

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

5 hours ago, Jz1 said:

The imaging and soundstage of the AD700X is practically the same as the AD900X, the only difference is the bass. If you like more bass, then get the 900 without a question.

The biggest difference between those two headphones is that the AD is open and the M50X is closed. The AD is light on bass and can sound airy, and doesn't isolate as well as the M50X which is known for its V Shape sound signature and punchy bass. All though providing a good seal and isolating well, the M50x can be a very harsh and irritating headphone to wear for longer than 40 minutes due to its brightness and clamping ear-cup design where as the AD is more of a relaxed headphone that sits on your head. When it comes to soundstage and imaging, the AD is a winner by far as its open back design is perfect for the natural sound of the source and can provide great directional information, which is why its the FPS gaming king of headphones. The M40X and M50x do not compare in that regard.

Also, vocals on the AD will sound better as the mids on the M50X are not there.

Hopefully this information has helped you, good luck :)

I may just want to order both the 700x and M50x to test them for myself. There is no way of me to really know which to buy at this point as all I have used to this point are earbuds and a pair of Kraken Pro v2s