Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your worst laptops?

Schnoz

Regale us with your horror stories of the worst laptops you have experienced. Whether it be overheating, horrible performance, or a price to performance ratio of over 9000, please tell me!

(This isn't a war on PC vs Mac. Even though PCs are obviously better both are good in their unique aspects, this is purely about bad user experience.)

I have no idea what I'm doing and no one can stop me.

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

What

Green monitor days, green monitor

color hahahahahahahahaha

no green

my bad, thats too new, green is

b&w yes

not only b&w

but grainy low res b&w

It is Smithsonian Grade!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.2sXRzxhtdWVmxSJ_o55Y1AHaIj%26pid%3D15.1&f=1Smithsonian Institution - Wikipedia

HP Pavilion G6, battery worn to death in about a year of usage, overheated like a mofo and the charging port is kinda loose. 

HP Zbook "Mobile Workstation"(current school laptop) , build is garbage, performance even more so, €1550 price tag for a worse GPU than a mobile GTX 660 I5 6200U and a shit SSD, service takes 6 months + once they reach HP, ~20% just randomly died within the first year. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

HP Pavilion G6, battery worn to death in about a year of usage, overheated like a mofo and the charging port is kinda loose. 

Easily fixable

I love it when batteries die on stuff, because then they sell it for uber cheap! or sometimes even free!

Can't remember the model but I had a HP once, which would overheat within 10 minutes due to the amount of bloatware on it.

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Easily fixable

I love it when batteries die on stuff, because then they sell it for uber cheap! or sometimes even free!

$40 iirc, wasnt cheap then and isnt worth it now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Actually the newest private laptop i own, a "Dell" Alienware R17 1070oc and 6 core cpu, it actually is okay but private i´ve had decent laptops through my whole life, and company laptops have been okay. - the issues, are the HEAT, that is was poorly build so had to disassemble it at delivery and fix a speaker issue, i use throttlestop to make it keep boost clock, and running idle without fan. the thing i hate the most is the G-sync display, it has a 90Wh battery, but only 2 hours of betterylife, because G-sync removes the Nvidia OPtimus, it would have been 7+ hours, if it were without G-sync, and just the 1440p 120hz display.

IBM T30 - My first private laptop got trashed in a biking accident.

T40 SXGA - I loved this, high resolution and way thinner then the T30

Unibody Macbook pro - updated it with a SSD it is 9+ years old and still running.

Alienware R17

company wise, it was Thinkpads while working at B&O, Vestas was HP (which was the worst) and LEGO now is Dell´s they are actually okay, but i will always be a thinkpad man. 

The entire HP DV line was garbage, they overheated like mad, poorly built (aside from the overheating issues) and clients gave them to me like free candy, so I had dozens to try to resurrect and make one functional...all failed.

HP = Has Problems

Hardly Perfect

Horse Pucky

Hideous Product

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The entire HP DV line was garbage, they overheated like mad, poorly built (aside from the overheating issues) and clients gave them to me like free candy, so I had dozens to try to resurrect and make one functional...all failed.

HP = Has Problems

Hardly Perfect

Horse Pucky

Hideous Product

all of my friends who have HP laptop hated that brand LOL. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

You mean like this?

XeHC8ly.jpg&key=d675afe9fbbbefaa9f112415

This is running Windows 10... alone.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

all of my friends who have HP laptop hated that brand LOL. 

I've never had any problems with a HP Compaq, ProBook or EliteBook laptops

Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 4TB and 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C600/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 640 GDDR5, 500GB HDD

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1854MHz, Asus GTX 760 DC2 OC, 250GB Crucial MX500 and 2x 500GB HDD

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz , NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M, 250GB Samsung SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

I've only owned 3 laptop so far. 

Let's list them one by one.

1. Chinese brand laptop. Haier something something. 2008

Pros-- Relatively cheap. Low maintenance. I abused the shit out of that laptop. And basically didn't care for it at all.

Cons-- The shittiest of the 3. 720p screen, overheating like a motherfucker, not to a point that it reboots or anything, but it does get quite hot, can play games just fine. Of course not so great battery life. 

Usage: gaming. mainly need for speed most wanted. (the original one), warcraft 3. web browsing.

2. Macbook pro 2012 Non-retina version. 2013

Pros-- it's a mac. It is well built. It runs the OS perfectly. It comes with all the pros you can imagine when it comes to a macbook. build quality is top notch, I used this machine for 6 years. and it gave me 0 issue, both software and hardware wise. that laptop had the BEST 720p screen I have ever seen in any laptops. I sold it for roughly $550 bucks after 6 years of using it. Great deal if you ask me.

Cons-- It had a 5400 rpm hard drive in it. It costs a lot.  

3. Macbook pro 2017 non-touchbar 13 inch with 16GB of ram. 2017

Pros-- It has a retina screen and it is really light weight. AMAZING speaker. 

Cons-- BY FAR the one that gave me the most troubles. 3 times keyboard defect, 1 time mobo defect, and I've already asked apple to swap me a new one. And they agreed. 

Buggy OS + shitty keyboard design = trouble all over the place. I went to apple store for around 10 times just because of this laptop. Wasted too much time of mine. 

So I have to say that the one that gave me the most trouble is a mac. Kind of funny I see myself as a macOS guy. And I still do. I think that the older macs have a better quality or it is just that this time i got unlucky. Apple's customer support is still great though, never tried to play games with you. But that's because you paid them a shit ton of money. 

so all in all 

2012 non retina > cheap no name laptop > 2017 non touchbar 

LOL. 

I have stories about my laptops too:

1. HP Pavillon 15-inch something: This craptop overheated more then California right now and the fan was loud as hell and got really dusty. The A8-6410 processor wanted to ANYTHING but compute (this is one of the AMD CPUS before they got good and released Ryzen) and the build quality was horrible.

2. Dell Latitude E6540: Okay, to be honest, I like this laptop due to its high performance even four years later, its amazing build quality, upgradeable CPU and RAM, awesome sound quality, and more USB 3.0  ports than you can imagine. However, that thing was a reused E6410 with 95 watts instead of 35 watts inside. The battery life is about half a second away from a power outlet and it throttles like hell. Even Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut didn't work.

I have no idea what I'm doing and no one can stop me.

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

HP = Has Problems

Hardly Perfect

Horse Pucky

Hideous Product

Haha I'm still using 3 DV series as ping boxes for labs right now. Got em free broken and fixed em. Those things are garbage, good enough to have an operational nic though.

The worst laptop I've ever had is my msi gs63. I'm on my 6th unit. I've had the ec fry, bad usb ports, one misaligned screen, doa hard drive, and one thermal throttle faster than a new macbook pro.

Other than that I had an old dell optiplex that had to have several charging jacks soldered in.

Dell Inspiron something something. Charger broke with unsurprisingly after the warranty expired. Got sent a faulty replacement that worked for a month and then the battery conked out on me.

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

$40 iirc, wasnt cheap then and isnt worth it now

$40 generic fleabay or genuine oem?

Even the generic stuff I wouldnt touch, I'd just buy genuine Sony 18650's for $2 each and solder them together. Whats the voltage and ah rating on them, I know laptop chargers are usually around 20V, so you put 5 in series then how ever many in parallel to get your runtime. No need to buy no slow laptop chargers neither. Could even do the same for a UPS, but those are usually l.a. so the internal brains probably wouldnt work.

• 1 month later...

I had a very cheap chinese tablet/laptop thing (Chuwi Hi10) and I don't think I can recommend it for anything other than retro emulation, and even then GameCube emulation was terrific on that laptop.

Local Linux nerd

First post on this forum, so hi and all that.

No contest, the worst laptop computer I've ever had was the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series, model 7537.  On paper, it was a pretty sweet little machine.  4th gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, Nvidia discrete graphics, full keyboard, touch screen, 4 USB ports, Ethernet.  First problem:  Windows 8.1.  Second problem:  repeated total massive failure.  I'd be sitting around, reading a web page, then the screen would go black and it was dead.  Wouldn't boot, wouldn't post, nada.  Time to give that Dell next day support a try.  Fastest they ever responded was a week and a half.  One time, after a couple weeks of waiting for the one Dell tech in the state to fix it, I got it back only for it to make it partway through the boot cycle before death.  They replaced the motherboard twice, the power supply, the power brick, the keyboard, the wi-fi antenna, the display--by the end of it, the chassis and the trackpad was the only original thing left.  And it still failed.  For about six months, I did all my computing on my Raspberry Pi 2.

With a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series, model 7547.  My second worst laptop.  I distinctly remember the phone call.  A Dell rep called me and told me that they didn't have a system that met the specs I ordered; they had a system that was "otherwise identical" but had AMD graphics rather than Nvidia graphics.  By "otherwise identical," they meant same processor, same amount of RAM, same amount of hard drive, same rough size.  Different chassis, no numpad, fewer USB ports, no onboard ethernet.  I'll give it this, it hasn't totally failed the way the other did, but it's not the machine I ordered.

Did I mention I'm a Linux user?  Go look at the Ubuntu compatibility matrix for those two model numbers.  Why yes, the 7537 is Ubuntu certified.  Why no, the 7547 isn't.  Problems with the hybrid graphics abound.  I'm finally about to replace this heap, and...that's a story for another thread.  Short version:  I have no idea what I'm doing.