is elementary OS 5 worth my time?

see title. 

should i bother trying it? is it a good distro? it looks good from what i've seen on their website, but i don't know how well it compares to my favorite distro, Manjaro.

She/Her

Looks like ubuntu with a crappy DE.

Come to think of it, all (linux) DEs are crappy. Well, at least it's not the worst.

🙂

I haven't tried it too recently but last I did, eOS didn't seem to come with the most basic programs like Libre Office for example. Personally it felt like it required too much effort just to bring it up to par with other distros, so unless you really want a maintained Pantheon, just stick with Manjaro. Even then, there are Pantheon repos for other distros.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

It is Ubuntu with a shitty Mac like desktop. Minus 100% points for trying to look like a mac. Avoid!!! 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

It is Ubuntu with a shitty Mac like desktop. Minus 100% points for trying to look like a mac. Avoid!!! 

ok. i'm skilled enough with Linux that i can make MAnjaro look pretty close to macOS anyway. 

i always do that ebcause my MacBook is dual-booted with Linux so i try to keep the 2 looking similar. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, duncannah said:

Looks like ubuntu with a crappy DE.

Come to think of it, all (linux) DEs are crappy. Well, at least it's not the worst.

Lol, this is what one of my classmates in my computer science class has to say about my Linux desktop. Some are shit, still 100% better than Macs or Windows in my opinions. 

Screenshot_20181118-194750.thumb.jpg.3da853b4488381f54e4c00cfff6c759f.jpg

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, jpenguin said:

You're probably not the intended audience

So? I like a clean looking desktop a lot...

She/Her

9 hours ago, wasab said:

Lol, this is what one of my classmates in my computer science class has to say about my Linux desktop. Some are shit, still 100% better than Macs or Windows in my opinions. 

(snip)

Show us then :P

--------

As everyone agrees, it's just Ubuntu with a different DE; might as well just get Ubuntu or something else. It's clearly meant for people with no prior Linux experience

🙂

Not the worst but out the box you don't even have the Ubuntu store, the ElementaryOS one has also paid stuff on it without even the snap/flatpak wtf 

6 hours ago, duncannah said:

Show us then :P

--------

As everyone agrees, it's just Ubuntu with a different DE; might as well just get Ubuntu or something else. It's clearly meant for people with no prior Linux experience

It is just the default plasma 5 desktop with the default breeze as the theme. All I needed to do was install a dock and that was enough to wow others who have not seen anything other than Windows or Macs in their life. 

Linux desktop is quite flexible. I have seen people do some crazy tweaks with them.

Sudo make me a sandwich