Need PC buy advice for a friend

Quon

Hello!  

I've been asked by a friend to ask you for help with purchase tips from a new desktop computer.
The budget is max 15000 Swedish Krona (about 1.7k USD) for the computer (no need for screen, mouse or keyboard). Of course, she wants to spend as little as possible but still pack power. Saves money since she is a student  

The primary purpose of the computer is to play Sims 4 with all its expansions more or less . Some different Steam games as well and streams Netflix and such to the TV

She would rather buy a computer that is complete right off the bat but can think of parts as long as there is the possibility that the store will install and then check all the parts work and everything is working. She asks if she will also be guaranteed if she chooses the later choice on the computer itself if she will have insurance on the actual build or parts?  
Windows license should be included  
She would like to have a 1060 6GB version  
She has had primary Intel but can think of AMD (she does not know the difference between them and I do not know how to explain when I'm not very well)  
Most well-known brand on the graphics card (Asus, MSI etc)  

She would like to buy the computer soon, so ask if there is anything I ask her asap  

Im also aware that the budget might be high. But VAT prices are generally higher and its what she is "willing" to spend, like said better if less. Sims 4 base game might not take much but i assume with all the expansions and addons would probally exert the PC a bit more.  

Swedish stores you can use for reference that offer installation service are  
www.komplett.se  
www.inet.se  
www.webhallen.se

Thanks in advance!  

3 minutes ago, brob said:

Isnt getting prebuilt just vastly worse? The sites i link offer building pc from the parts chosen for a fee of approx 80 dollars (600-699 SEK)  

She was looking at this earlier today

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/291435-Acer-Nitro-N50-600-i5-8400-8GB-512GB-SSD-GTX-1060-6GB-Win-10

And im not sure if prebuilt is good for consumers? Like i heard some horror stories that its just usually cluttered with stuff and not being able to replace parts

Also the less money spent the better, hence i was asksing of perhaps getting parts idea

That is a decent pc. 

Prebuilts are often a good deal, especially for those who simply want a general purpose computer. Granted they are not top performers. but only a serious hobbyist is looking to the best performance.

The Acer Nitro N50-600 that was linked strikes me as quite suitable for the use case. I particularly like the larger ssd. My only concern is that while the title indicates 8GB of main memory, the tech specs list 4GB. But I did find an Acer product sheet, https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2018/4871/N50-600/DG.E0MEQ.054.html. The specs look very good and I suspect that it would be difficult to match them at the same price in a custom build.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

That is a decent pc. 

Prebuilts are often a good deal, especially for those who simply want a general purpose computer. Granted they are not top performers. but only a serious hobbyist is looking to the best performance.

The Acer Nitro N50-600 that was linked strikes me as quite suitable for the use case. I particularly like the larger ssd. My only concern is that while the title indicates 8GB of main memory, the tech specs list 4GB. But I did find an Acer product sheet, https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2018/4871/N50-600/DG.E0MEQ.054.html. The specs look very good and I suspect that it would be difficult to match them at the same price in a custom build.

i found this one as well at the same site https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/286596-Acer-Nitro-N50-600-i5-8400-8GB-256GB-SSD-M-2-GTX-1060-6GB-Win-10

That one only has 4GB of main memory. Not really sufficient these days. The ssd is only 256GB and I don't see an hdd for additional storage.

13 minutes ago, brob said:

That one only has 4GB of main memory. Not really sufficient these days. The ssd is only 256GB and I don't see an hdd for additional storage.

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/289383-Webhallen-Config-D18-0203V2-i5-8400-8GB-250GB-SSD-1TB-HDD-GTX-1060-6GB-Win-10 and this? Not sure if it comes built, im assuming that it does

So you think better to just go with a prebuilt rather than getting parts and getting them assembled and so?

3 minutes ago, brob said:

The OP suggests that the user has a preference for a prebuilt. I liked the specs of https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/291435-Acer-Nitro-N50-600-i5-8400-8GB-512GB-SSD-GTX-1060-6GB-Win-10. Can you match them at a lower cost with a custom build?

mmm dodged the question on the link i gave on your answer above. I cant custom build since i dont really well versed with parts .  Thus i turned to here :)

5 minutes ago, Quon said:

mmm dodged the question on the link i gave on your answer above. I cant custom build since i dont really well versed with parts .  Thus i turned to here :)

There is not definitive answer to the question. It comes down to what one is trying to achieve. Something like the Acer pre-built offers an excellent feature set at a good price. For a non hobbyist user, it would be my recommendation.

I don't think I could match the specs for a similar price with a custom build. But I could probably get something that has slightly better performance with the same specs. The thing is, does this user really need the best performance? Not really.

Just now, brob said:

There is not definitive answer to the question. It comes down to what one is trying to achieve. Something like the Acer pre-built offers an excellent feature set at a good price. For a non hobbyist user, it would be my recommendation. I don't think I could match the specs for a similar price with a custom build. But I could probably get something that has slightly better performance with the same specs.

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/289383-Webhallen-Config-D18-0203V2-i5-8400-8GB-250GB-SSD-1TB-HDD-GTX-1060-6GB-Win-10

so this one wouldnt be "better" per se for its price compared to the one mentioned prior?
The only thing i was unsure if it was prebuilt or not (which i intend to ask tomorrow as soon as they open)

Sorry if im a hassle , kinda slow and just trying to make sure i understand things corrrectly

Not really. The Acer has WiFi, Bluetooth, and a larger ssd. The D18-0203 v2 doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth, but does feature a quieter case, likely better psu, and a higher performance ssd. The motherboard and gpu are also likely a little higher quality in the D18.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Not really. The Acer has WiFi, Bluetooth, and a larger ssd. The D18-0203 v2 doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth, but does feature a quieter case, likely better psu, and a higher performance ssd. The motherboard and gpu are also likely a little higher quality in the D18.

i suppose the Acer also has a dvd reader which the d18 doesnt since its a smaller case.

Should i just give her both options and tell her what the differences are? I guess the choice in the end is hers but i'd tell her what you told me as well. 
Figure maybe aestietics of the case in general may be a deal breaker or well...whats in the pc overall

Do you know what the Acer has for GTX 1060? since iet just sais GTX 1060 6GB , while the D18 has a Asus 1060 6GB (not sure which model)

I don't believe the Acer has an optical drive.

Yes, showing her the two listings and this discussion should help her work out what would be her best choice.

I expect the Acer has a generic GTX 1060. That is why I suspect the D18 gpu is slightly better quality.

10 minutes ago, brob said:

I don't believe the Acer has an optical drive.

Yes, showing her the two listings and this discussion should help her work out what would be her best choice.

I expect the Acer has a generic GTX 1060. That is why I suspect the D18 gpu is slightly better quality.

5.png

what could the center thing be then?

34 minutes ago, brob said:

It looks like a place for an optical drive. But the specs indicate that one is not installed. There may be models that do have an optical drive.

Check out the various models, https://www.webhallen.com/se/search?searchString=Acer Nitro N50-600&sort=searchRating.

apparently she wants a optic drive to install older games like sims 3 and such

13 hours ago, Quon said:

apparently she wants a optic drive to install older games like sims 3 and such

? Check to see if an optical drive can be added to the unit.

4 hours ago, brob said:

? Check to see if an optical drive can be added to the unit.

https://www.komplett.se/product/11282/datorer/komplett-pc/komplett-gamer-premium/komplett-gamer-premium-a145-gaming-dator?offerId=KOMPLETT-312-11282#

i found this, seems vastly better? theres a configure button to the right called "Konfigurera PC". any changes youd make? Figured id show this to her and try. Just want to get the best out of this perhaps

Looks okay. I see there is an option for an external optical drive.

You might consider reducing the gpu to a GTX 1060 which would save a bit.

8 minutes ago, brob said:

Looks okay. I see there is an option for an external optical drive.

You might consider reducing the gpu to a GTX 1060 which would save a bit.

How are the gainward 1060? thats the only 1060 offered. 

HOw do the other parts look ? any changes to ssd or memory or other stuff?

Gainward is a budget brand and the ssd is not terribly fast. But for the use case both are fine.