Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wooden Macintosh Case

PeaceWalker93

Hi there! I've started a little project that I would like to share here, I'm not sure what I'll do with it when it's finished but I think it's pretty neat.

I've always liked old Apple/Macintosh stuff and have a SE/30 Mac laying around. I've thought about doing somethin with it but the thing works perfectly, and also has some upgraded stuff from the period (Like a huuuuge 500MB Drive) and a weird Apple Talk / Network card.

It's gone a bit beige but apart from that It's in pretty good shape, here are some pics: 

IMG_20181118_111916.jpg

IMG_20181118_112006.jpg

So here's what I've done so far. I put the computer on it's side over a couple of paper sheets so I could make a side template, It's not the most precise method but my jigsaw is kinda wonky and I can't get a straight line with it even if my life was at stake. After that I nailed two pieces of wood together so I could make both sides in one go and taped the template on top. I used a table saw to get rid of the biggest chunks of wood and then the janksaw to finish it (It took a lot of filing and sanding to make it look half decent)

With that made I took some measures of the original computer. It's about 24,5 cm wide and the wood I had used was 2 cm wide so I cutted some 20,5 cm pieces to start joining and bracing the interior. 

IMG_20181118_095549.jpg

IMG_20181118_095601.jpg

15 minutes ago, PeaceWalker93 said:

thought about doing somethin with it but the thing works perfectly, and also has some upgraded stuff from the period (Like a huuuuge 500MB Drive) and a weird Apple Talk / Network card.

Why not 3d print it and throw in a current pc with current display?

huuuuuge 500MB Drive LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL we are on TB now, but back in the hayday thats gotta cost a gold brick ;)

Particle board, I cringe at. I thought you were going to make it out of solid wood like Oak or Fir, that would be cool. Even cooler would be to cut that Oak or Fir into thin strips, glue them, router them straight, it has a nice contrasted look to it. Either that or a CNC copy out of a brick of Oak or Fir.

The thing with particle board is that it crumbles too easily and soaks up too much moisture and crumbles.

Either way its a great project no matter how you do it.

Why you ask?

Because you are working with your hands, plus the joy and satisfaction of building something with your hands.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Why not 3d print it and throw in a current pc with current display?

huuuuuge 500MB Drive LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL we are on TB now, but back in the hayday thats gotta cost a gold brick ;)

I'm doind this on the cheap that's why there's no 3D printing involved (So far I haven't spent a penny).

I'm not sure what to put on the inside, maybe a Mini ITX board, I also have an old Mac mini and a Raspberry Pi so I'm still thinking about that.

Also this computer originaly came from the factory with either no hard drive or the choice of a 40 or 80 MB drive. The top of the line model was about 6,5k's back in the day

So far I glued the support pieces yesterday, and this morning added a couple more pieces and nailed eveything down for extra strenght.

IMG_20181118_095610.jpg

IMG_20181118_095618.jpg

IMG_20181118_095655.jpg

8 minutes ago, PeaceWalker93 said:

'm not sure what to put on the inside

Why not a bar top arcade game with drink holders?

?

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Why not a bar top arcade game with drink holders?

?

I'm also planing on building either a bar top or a full arcade at some point, most likely a bar top because it's easier to store. the problem I have with most of the ones I've seen is that they are a bit too narrow to fit two people comfortably for coop. One thing that's for sure is that it will have beer holders and maybe a bottle opener.