liquid metal thermal paste for gaming laptop

sisblub

i have a predator triton 700 and an aorus x7 dt v6, and i am looking for someone to repaste both of these laptops with liquid metal after i watched linus do it successfully on his youtube video. unfortunately, the local "computer experts" who swore they could do it ended up fucking up both of my laptops and i had to send them both in for warranty repair. i did finally get them back and i've been playing around with XTU (just undervolt on the predator because for some reason the core multipliers are locked on the predator and both undervolt and overclock on the aorus) but keep running into thermal throttling and more often than not current limit throttling. i'd really like to send in my laptops to linus tech tips to have them professionally repasted with liquid metal and overclocked to their max potential. is this something linus tech tips offers as a service??

10 hours ago, sisblub said:

is this something linus tech tips offers as a service?? 

No, but there are other people who can do that for you depending on your location.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

13 hours ago, Amaranth said:

No, but there are other people who can do that for you depending on your location.

yea i tried looking locally for someone who could do that and they ended up bricking both of my laptops which were thankfully still under warranty. i was hoping linus tech tips would be able to do it for a fee :( this make me sad, after what i've been through i feel like i can't trust the liquid metal repaste to just anyone who claims they are "experts"

You can use kryonaut which has an excellent transfer of heat.

It will be a heap better then stocks paste.

Liquid metal can be problematic in laptops for a few reasons.

Most heatpipes will use aluminium. Given it's a gaming laptop it's probably copper.

But that introduces a new issue. Liquid metal rapidly defuses into copper. Causing reduction in heat transfer, ive combated this before by putting extra liquid metal in, it doesn't fix the issue you need to repaste every 6 to 8 months. You will notice an increase in temperature and that's when you know it's time.

So this is in a desktop which is perfectly fine.

With laptops moving them around and holding then in different angles and movement. If you don't put a heap of liquid metal in it's not an issue but with a copper heatsink you will need to and that's how you kill things.

If you put a normal amount in your repasting every 6 months.

Honestly with a laptop your direct die cooling already.

Stick with kryonaut you can put more on it's not conductive it will last year's and it will lower your current temps.

Liquid metal might be 5-7c cooler in direct die.

But honestly the hassles and challenges are a problem. Linus did his for a video, not a daily driver.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

I only had lm on a few months it ate away most of the writing on the IHS.  While not technically bad it probably cost me a bit when I resold it. I've switched to kryonaut on the threadripper. 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

45 minutes ago, ewitte said:

I only had lm on a few months it ate away most of the writing on the IHS.  While not technically bad it probably cost me a bit when I resold it. I've switched to kryonaut on the threadripper. 

Gamers nexus did a good video on how to remove the staining

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

11 minutes ago, Maticks said:

It wasn't the stain it was completely gone the words. 

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Oh... ouch

STORAGE 

On 11/20/2018 at 8:23 AM, Maticks said:

Liquid metal rapidly defuses into copper. Causing reduction in heat transfer...

That's not true - the alloy that is formed does not cause any transfer loss.

And adding excess liquid metal is a good way to kill something.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:23 AM, Maticks said:

...it doesn't fix the issue you need to repaste every 6 to 8 months.

Again, this is incorrect.

You can run liquid metal for years without repasting.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

On 11/24/2018 at 1:40 AM, Amaranth said:

That's not true - the alloy that is formed does not cause any transfer loss.

And adding excess liquid metal is a good way to kill something.

Again, this is incorrect.

You can run liquid metal for years without repasting.

You clearly haven't put this on a copper IHS before.

It does defuse into copper it isn't a myth it is a fact.

When I talk about Excess I am talking about a small pool on top of the chip not a pool over the whole chip.

Either way copper without nickel plating is not going to be set and forget.

STORAGE 

3 hours ago, Maticks said:

You clearly haven't put this on a copper IHS before.

I have multiple times with multiple different liquid metals.

It does defuse into copper it isn't a myth it is a fact.

And that doesn't negatively impact thermal performance.

Plus most of the build up is, in fact, Indium and tin - it will discolour copper and leave an alloy on the surface that some people find annoying but, again, this doesn't degrade the thermal performance.

When I talk about Excess I am talking about a small pool on top of the chip not a pool over the whole chip.

If you have any pooling you're using too much.

And that's likely why you're seeing worse performance over time, because you are using too much.

Either way copper without nickel plating is not going to be set and forget.

Tell that to the test system I have that is going on three years without a touch-up - and it still hasn't lost a degree compared to day one. The same goes for my daily driver that uses an aftermarket solid copper IHS and hasn't been retouched and also hasn't lost any cooling performance.

If you properly apply liquid metal it can and will last for an extended period of time even if you're using it on copper. And I'm not the only one to see this - it's been repeatably shown that the staining/alloy does not harm the effectiveness of the liquid metal application or future liquid metal applications.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

On 11/22/2018 at 8:54 AM, Maticks said:

Something you obviously didn't pay attention to or else you might have noticed this line:

"In terms of performance, the copper IHS retains all of its original performance characteristics (in our testing), and so looks a lot worse than it is in reality."

So much for your claimed 'reduction in heat transfer'...

Perhaps you should consult your own sources next time before you post misinformation.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM