Any bottlenecks in this ITX build?

michaelputnam

Hey guys,

This will be my first pc build.  I have been planning this for a while.  I just purchased a Dell S2417DG monitor, and I am looking to do 1440p gaming at ultra settings with very high FPS.  I want a quiet ITX air cooled build.  I am not looking to OC anything, just really high end stock parts.  My question is I do not want any part to bottleneck the system, I want it to be a balanced non-OC build.  The MB states that it supports up to 2666, and the CPU states 2666, but will 16GB or 2666mHz be a limiting factor in performance in this build? I picked a 1x16 for the opportunity to upgrade to 32GB in the future if needed. Here is parts list:

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

Gigabyte - B360N WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case

ARCTIC - Freezer 33 CPU Cooler

SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

- GTX 1080 (haven't decided on exact card yet)

Thank you for any comments of suggestions,

Mike

If you are not interested in overclocking drop the CPU down to the 8700. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Bottleneck. Use Dual Channel RAM (2X8)

Also, for speeds higher than 2666Mhz you need to enable XMP in the BIOS settings

Edit: The bottleneck will be kinda small and i forgot that you picked 1X16 for future upgrades, so you will be fine

Thanks! I looked at the 8700, but price wise I found the K version cheaper than the locked version.

Get a Z-series board. 

23 minutes ago, michaelputnam said:

Thanks! I looked at the 8700, but price wise I found the K version cheaper than the locked version.

well then get a board that supports ocing 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

i'm backing the Z-series board option, even if you're not planning on OCing at this time.

that said, are you buying a single ram stick to allow for future upgrades? because if not planning on going 32GB in the futue, i'd go 2x8GB.

Unless you have definite plans to upgrade to 32GB, especially if the principal use is gaming I'd go with 2x8GB. Something like G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200.

I would suggest a better cpu cooler. If you are not overclocking something like an H7, H5 Universal, or NH-U12S.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.