Ryzen r5 1600x awful performance in games

MG-

Hi,

I've been reading a lot about ryzen cpus lately and decided to downgrade from i7 8700k to 1600x as I'm playing on 3440x1440 display and never maxed out the i7.

However, when I play AC:Odyssey i get constant drops to 40fps and small stuttering. Heck, even witcher 3 is stuttering.

My config is

Asus b350i

vengeance lpx 2x8 @ 3000 mhz 16 17 17 35

gtx 1080ti

I'm now copying files ready to reinstall Windows.My bios is updated and cpu runs at 3.9ghz @ 1.4v nevber exceeding 60C .

Is stuttering in these games normal for this cpu? I can return it and buy something stronger but I feel like this should be enough for 1440p ultrawide. Even if i drop the resolution and setting to low, I'm still getting drops to 40s and stutters in AC:Odyssey

EDIT:
Cpu is not even 100% when stutters occur in both games

Its probably throttling at the VRM's, because that board doesn't look like something that wants to run an OC 12thread CPU mate, especially since you're also running highspeed memory, adding to the heatproduction on the phases. CPU temp isn't everything.

Remove the OC.

Did you install the BIOS updates that update AGESA?  May or may not help here.  Can't give you personal details on AC: Odyssey as I don't have the game.  Every time I've had an issue with a game with my 1700/1080Ti (all at stock settings with 3200 memory) combo it seemed to be games not properly optimized or a driver update.

I'd remove the OC myself...bet it's messing with the memory bad.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Did you install the BIOS updates that update AGESA?  May or may not help here.  Can't give you personal details on AC: Odyssey as I don't have the game.  Every time I've had an issue with a game with my 1700/1080Ti combo it seemed to be games not properly optimized or a driver update.

I'd remove the OC myself...bet it's messing with the memory bad.

I installed the newest bios form asus site - 4024. 

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Its probably throttling at the VRM's, because that board doesn't look like something that wants to run an OC 12thread CPU mate, especially since you're also running highspeed memory, adding to the heatproduction on the phases. CPU temp isn't everything.

Remove the OC.

OC removed - now it drops to 36fps in AC:O but seems to have fixed witcher 3 issues.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

I want to see what happens in realtime. Please follow this guide to provide detailed info.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/992447-really-bad-fps-drops-and-stuttering-in-games-with-high-end-pc2080-could-be-psu/

Alright, just wanted to add that I have AC running right now in a small window where my gpu is chilling at 35% and cpu is anywhere between 60 and 90. Im getting 55-60 fps just standing with cpu at 60- 70-ish %.

5 minutes ago, MG- said:

OC removed - now it drops to 36fps in AC:O but seems to have fixed witcher 3 issues.

Assassins creed is just horribly optimized. The game drops into low fps on most hardware tbh. It will be hard to say that these issues with assassins creed are due to hardware. I would chalk it up to the game being bad on all hardware. 

4 minutes ago, MG- said:

Alright, just wanted to add that I have AC running right now in a small window where my gpu is chilling at 35% and cpu is anywhere between 60 and 90. Im getting 55-60 fps just standing with cpu at 60- 70-ish %.

Please provide the data in the mentioned format of the topic.

Psu worked fine with i7. Maybe it has a little bit of coil whine or maybe its my gpu hard to tell.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I'm not asking again, don't tag or quote me until you provide me that data. I'm not playing your guessing game.

SO: Windows 10 with latest update
CPU: R5 1600x STOCK with noctua U12s
GPU: EVGA gtx 1080ti SC Black
motherboard: Asus b350i
Ram: it's 16gb ddr4 3000mhz 2x8 CL16
Hard drives Crucial mx300 
PSU: corsair hx850i platinum certified. After my gpu died it was tested on another pc with a 1060 and a 1070 and no issues but a 2080 needs more watts so... Also tested it with some cheap psu tester and the 12v rail and other ones gave good values according to it but I don't have a good tester that I could try under load though.|

I'm sorry 

want to see what happens in realtime. Please follow this guide to provide detailed info."  I don't see how this is a guide of anykind and what should be done in real time.
Can you be more specific please?

Wait. Are you expecting an EA game not to dip below 60fps? M8 it's not your hardware's fault, it's just EA being EA and not optimising their games

4 minutes ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

Wait. Are you expecting an EA game not to dip below 60fps? M8 it's not your hardware's fault, it's just EA being EA and not optimising their games

Its ubi and it runs great on i7 8700k 

2 minutes ago, MG- said:

Its ubi and it runs great on i7 8700k 

It should run good on that CPU, it's pretty well multithreaded. I've also not seen it perform badly in benchmarks. Something is wrong, something I can only see properly with that data. Make sure that every listed datapoint is captured. Especially CPU clock.

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It should run good on that CPU, it's pretty well multithreaded. I've also not seen it perform badly in benchmarks. Something is wrong, something I can only see properly with that data. Make sure that every listed datapoint is captured. Especially CPU clock.

dxdiag:

Spoiler

hwmonitoring data:

(second session)

26 minutes ago, Majestic said:

sorry for spamming you, but does this data say anything more to you, did I miss anything form your guide ?

14 minutes ago, MG- said:

dxdiag:

Hide contents

hwmonitoring data:

(second session)

Hide contents

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary actually, just really high CPU load. I'm guessing you've set geometry settings too high. 

I do see one dip in the frequency. But it's not frequent enough to suspect throttling. However, did you set the pollingrate to 100ms?

Drop "Environment Detail" and "Character detail". You won't notice it at all, and it will probably lower the geometry complexity enough to significantly increase FPS without any noticeable decay in visuals.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Not seeing anything out of the ordinary actually, just really high CPU load. I'm guessing you've set geometry settings too high. 

I do see one dip in the frequency. But it's not frequent enough to suspect throttling. However, did you set the pollingrate to 100ms?

Drop "Environment Detail" and "Character detail". You won't notice it at all, and it will probably lower the geometry complexity enough to significantly increase FPS without any noticeable decay in visuals.

As stated before, even on lowest settings I'm can get it to constant 40fps with cpu at around 60%. I think It might be memory related. Any ideas how to verify it?

1 minute ago, MG- said:

As stated before, even on lowest settings I'm can get it to constant 40fps with cpu at around 60%. I think It might be memory related. Any ideas how to verify it?

If you suspect any errors, you can put memtest86+ on a USB and run that. Aida64 memorytest (its free, just leaves out a few datafields) to verify if the speed is proper.

I'm off to the gunrange for a bit, ill chime back in when im back.

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

If you suspect any errors, you can put memtest86+ on a USB and run that. Aida64 memorytest (its free, just leaves out a few datafields) to verify if the speed is proper.

I'm off to the gunrange for a bit, ill chime back in when im back.

Alright, thanks for your help. Im reinstalling windows if this problem percist Im returning the cpu and testing with t5 2600. If it yelds similar results i think Ill go back to intel.

4 hours ago, MG- said:

Alright, thanks for your help. Im reinstalling windows if this problem percist Im returning the cpu and testing with t5 2600. If it yelds similar results i think Ill go back to intel.

With the right memory the performance of the 1600 should be good in that game. Either you thought the 8700K was faster than it was, or that board is still throttling eventhough you can't see it in afterburner. 

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

With the right memory the performance of the 1600 should be good in that game. Either you thought the 8700K was faster than it was, or that board is still throttling eventhough you can't see it in afterburner. 

TLDR:

got 2600 performance still meh but dips occur when CPU is being maxed out. Investigating further with more games.

It seems that reinstalling windows helped with constant 40fps problem but game was still running sub optimally with fps graph going form 75fps to 24 in a matter second. 

I returned 1600x and got 2600. Seems to me that higher clock helps a bit.

Out of the box I got dips to 30s. With oc to 4.1 It improved to 35-38. Game is definitely playable but certainly not pleasant form time to time. Aspeclay in cpu bound places.

CPU usage at least looks very "reasonable" this time. Stutters and dips occur when all threads are being maxed out which leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere else like ram or mobo or even the game itself. 

I'll download bf1 and check if there are any stutters.

Right now I'm getting 50-75fps whereas on i7 pc I was almost never under 60