the best linux for general use 

It's subjective, but Ubuntu, Mint and maybe Fedora are the easiest distros to start out with I think.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Mint is very simple. I rarely have to search for drivers, it has decent hardware support. 

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

It's subjective, but Ubuntu, Mint and maybe Fedora are the easiest distros to start out with I think.

That and they have some of the largest communities - a priceless commodity when trying to fix errors.

There is no such thing as a "best" distribution, it all depends on what you need and what you like. If you're looking for a distribution that is easy for beginners, I'd recommend ubuntu mate.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've been using popos at work and I have to say it's really nice

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Ubuntu has the best consumer support. If you look at steam or any Linux commercial softwares, the distro they specifiy to be compatible is ubuntu. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

If you want a wide range of software and something that is easy for beginners I would say go with an Ubuntu flavour.  If you aren't that fussed about software selection beyond the cores things like browsers and Steam, then you could also give Solus a try.  I wouldn't recommend Fedora for a beginner.

Manjaro has been popular these days, if your coming from windows, you can try the deepin version which gives you themes similar to Windows and OSX. I personally like the cinnamon desktop, you can try linux mint cinnamon or manjaroo cinnamon. One uses ubuntu base and the other uses arch. Both Manjaro and Linux Mint give you everything you need to get going and are easy to setup.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:38 AM, Shura said:

Manjaro has been popular these days, if your coming from windows, you can try the deepin version

I quite like Manjaro, but I am not sure I would recommend it as a beginner system (unless they want to be ready to dive deep in).  I would also argue that their xfce configuration would be more familiar to a Windows user than the Deepin one.

Try few different distros and see what do you like. In general everyday use there is not much difference on what you choose. If by general use you mean thing like, browsing web, watching videos or reading e-mails.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 2:01 AM, Koeshi said:

I quite like Manjaro, but I am not sure I would recommend it as a beginner system (unless they want to be ready to dive deep in).  I would also argue that their xfce configuration would be more familiar to a Windows user than the Deepin one.

I haven't used Manjaro as a daily driver in years, My daily driver is Arch but from what I hear, Manjaro has come a long way recently and the whole setup is very hands off; Just install and go. I personally prefer xfce over deepin and it's what my secondary system runs but having played around with deepin, I think it offers a more windows experience out of the box while xfce need to be configured somewhat. The default xfce layout in manjaro is windows like but in terms of out of the box look and feel, deepin is closer, IMO.