Graphics card artifacting and crashing

thognong

I bought a used Asus GTX660 TI-DC2O-2GD5 which seems to run perfectly, but when I install the driver in windows 7 the card starts badly artifacting on after startup, then the system crashes. On windows 10 the system won't even run, it just crashes on startup. Is this a dead card or is there some way of fixing it?

IMG_20181115_224319.jpg

IMG_20181115_224309.jpg

IMG_20181115_224314.jpg

if both os's with two different drivers exhibit the same issue you've basically eliminated software as the problem

If the power supply is a decent enough unit and the gpu isn't overheating or has the cooler mounted wrong or fan inop then the card may just be fried

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

if both os's with two different drivers exhibit the same issue you've basically eliminated software as the problem

If the power supply is a decent enough unit and the gpu isn't overheating or has the cooler mounted wrong or fan inop then the card may just be fried

That's a bummer but fair call, cheers mate

I also just considered that you should make sure it's not one of those cheapo fake gpu's that come from china that are sold on ebay

Yeah that card is dead, the defects only show up when the OS actually tries to engage the 2D or 3D engine on the core. Get a refund. Weirdly not long ago I had an artifacting GTX 660 Ti arrive off eBay (was sold as a GTX 770 too so)

Yours faithfully