Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7 4790 worth in 2018/2019?

Hello there, i currently have a i5 4670, r9 290x and 16GB 1600 Mhz and i was wanting an upgrade to a GTX 1070, but ive seen in many places that my i5 will bottleneck the GPU, so i was searching and here in Brasil i can find a i7 4790 OEM new for around 351$ while a brand new i5 8600k or ryzen 2700x here costs 405$ and i would still have to up the MOBO and memory(DDR4 is very expensive here), so i was wondering if the i7 4790+gtx 1070 i would be ok for the next 3-4 years of 1080p 60 FPS gaming

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

At that price it's not really worth it. It would be worth it at like $250 instead

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FazBEBETO said:

Hello there, i currently have a i5 4670, r9 290x and 16GB 1600 Mhz and i was wanting an upgrade to a GTX 1070, but ive seen in many places that my i5 will bottleneck the GPU, so i was searching and here in Brasil i can find a i7 4790 OEM new for around 351$ while a brand new i5 8600k or ryzen 2700x here costs 405$ and i would still have to up the MOBO and memory(DDR4 is very expensive here), so i was wondering if the i7 4790+gtx 1070 i would be ok for the next 3-4 years of 1080p 60 FPS gaming

Yes it will but it looks a bit expansive to buy the CPU new. 

Try to find it used at a good price if price doesn't matter I guess you would buy all new mobo cpu ram etc.. so that's why I say that

 

But to answer the question 4790 with 1070 is fine combo for 1080p 60 hertz yeah sure

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

At that price it's not really worth it. It would be worth it at like $250 instead

But the i5 with New mobo, ram  would be worth It?

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm personally still using a i7 4770 and a GTX 970 and I still find it more than enough at 1080p. If you can find a i7 4790(K) used for a fair price jump for that and keep your system how it is. Otherwise it might be worth upgrading depending on what your usage situations are.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Ryzen Hero: |Dead|
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Yes it will but it looks a bit expansive to buy the CPU new. 

Try to find it used at a good price if price doesn't matter I guess you would buy all new mobo cpu ram etc.. so that's why I say that

 

But to answer the question 4790 with 1070 is fine combo for 1080p 60 hertz yeah sure

Like, i have the money for the i7 + 1070, but not the i5+mobo+ram+1070, so i would be with my current i5 4670 +1070 and only getting 8th/9th gen i5 in 6-8 months, so whats better:i7 now/i5 4th gen(bottleneckling) for 8 months and New i5?

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FazBEBETO said:

But the i5 with New mobo, ram  would be worth It?

Not sure what you mean by this exactly but if you're comparing platform cost then yeah, the DDR3 platform is cheaper. If you can find a used CPU or sell your old one for a good price then it would make for a better buy.

 

also, don't forget a bios update for your motherboard

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KingCry said:

I'm personally still using a i7 4770 and a GTX 970 and I still find it more than enough at 1080p. If you can find a i7 4790(K) used for a fair price jump for that and keep your system how it is. Otherwise it might be worth upgrading depending on what your usage situations are.

I only use for games and i invest in my Pc in 4 to 4 years,u think i7 4790+ 1070 Will ok for the Next four years of 1080p 60fps gaming? 

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, FazBEBETO said:

I only use for games and i invest in my Pc in 4 to 4 years,u think i7 4790+ 1070 Will ok for the Next four years of 1080p 60fps gaming? 

It should be fine you will notice it will be struggling in titles as time goes on and they launch, but I personally think it would be fine.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Ryzen Hero: |Dead|
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Not sure what you mean by this exactly but if you're comparing platform cost then yeah, the DDR3 platform is cheaper. If you can find a used CPU or sell your old one for a good price then it would make for a better buy.

 

also, don't forget a bios update for your motherboard

Like, i have the money for the i7 + 1070, but not the i5+mobo+ram+1070, so i would be with my current i5 4670 +1070 and only getting 8th/9th gen i5 in 6-8 months, so whats better:i7 now/i5 4th gen(bottleneckling) for 8 months and New i5?

And my BIOS is the latest version of the gigabyte z87-HD3, is the f8 version in the site It says It supports the i7 4790

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FazBEBETO said:

Like, i have the money for the i7 + 1070, but not the i5+mobo+ram+1070, so i would be with my current i5 4670 +1070 and only getting 8th/9th gen i5 in 6-8 months, so whats better:i7 now/i5 4th gen(bottleneckling) for 8 months and New i5?

And my BIOS is the latest version of the gigabyte z87-HD3, os the f8 version in the site It says It supports the i7 4790

If this is the case then I think the i7 is a good move

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FazBEBETO said:

I only use for games and i invest in my Pc in 4 to 4 years,u think i7 4790+ 1070 Will ok for the Next four years of 1080p 60fps gaming? 

Yup it's enough, just take that time to adjust your in game settings as even he 1070 will need going easy on that ultras in few games to get 60fps.

 

The CPU by all means will be neough for 60fps experience for a good time... it's gaming performance is comparable to a stock Ryzen 5 1600...

It is understandable though why it's a bad deal unless you already have the motherboard and memory since a Ryzen 5 2600 brand new in Brazil is cheaper than the second hand i7 4790 out there, you'd be looking at another R$900 for motherboard and ddr4 8gb memory while the i7 is 'just' around R$200 more expensive and will by all means eliminate any handicap the i5 is causing as it has higher clock boosts and Hyper-Threading.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

If this is the case then I think the i7 is a good move

Thanks man, im kinda of a newbie when its about hardware and u helped me a lot in this and the other post i made monday, so i guess i Will look for better prices and go for the i7+1070...

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Yup it's enough, just take that time to adjust your in game settings as even he 1070 will need going easy on that ultras in few games to get 60fps.

 

The CPU by all means will be neough for 60fps experience for a good time... it's gaming performance is comparable to a stock Ryzen 5 1600...

It is understandable though why it's a bad deal unless you already have the motherboard and memory since a Ryzen 5 2600 brand new in Brazil is cheaper than the second hand i7 4790 out there, you'd be looking at another R$900 for motherboard and ddr4 8gb memory while the i7 is 'just' around R$200 more expensive and will by all means eliminate any handicap the i5 is causing as it has higher clock boosts and Hyper-Threading.

Yeah, prices are weird here in Brasil,as i told the other guys I have the money for the i7 + 1070, but not the i5(8th/9th gen)+mobo+ram+1070, so i would be with my current i5 4670 +1070 and only getting 8th/9th gen i5 in 6-8 months, which is better, be at bottleneckling for 8 months and get the new config, or up to the i7 and only worry about upgrading again in 3-4 years?

 

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

$300 plus is a lot for a cpu like that now. Given the games I play, I cant use it for much. Id save up for something better for that card.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Hey I know this is a bit old, but I had the same question as you did.  My system was running a Core i5 4690, 16gb ram and GTX 1070.  I bought a used core i7 4790 (non K) on ebay for $150 and my system felt like it was 1000% faster.  The difference was night and day.  I was skeptical of purchasing a used processor especially since I don't know where it came from, but with Ebay's consumer protection I was comfortable with it.  I bought the processor back in November 2018 and it's still going strong today.  No regrets whatsoever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, rickrude22 said:

Hey I know this is a bit old, but I had the same question as you did.  My system was running a Core i5 4690, 16gb ram and GTX 1070.  I bought a used core i7 4790 (non K) on ebay for $150 and my system felt like it was 1000% faster.  The difference was night and day.  I was skeptical of purchasing a used processor especially since I don't know where it came from, but with Ebay's consumer protection I was comfortable with it.  I bought the processor back in November 2018 and it's still going strong today.  No regrets whatsoever.

I did the same thing hahaha, and no regrets also, too much stuttering with the i5, the i7 was a worthy upgrade

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

 

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×