High End Laptops with an i5 8300H

Hey Forum,

I got a lot of useful help here this past summer, and after trying and RMA-ing a few different options with my eGPU-centric setup, I ultimately settled on a base-model XPS 15 9570. The compute power it offered out of the box with the i5-8300H was outstanding, and after a RAM and SSD upgrade I'm happy to report that the new XPS 15 has become a huge part of my workflow. To clarify, here's a spec breakdown:

• $899 - XPS 15 9570
    • 1080p display
    • i5-8300H
    • 1TB HDD
    • memory - 2x 4GB 2400mhz
    • no discrete GPU (this is a must-have spec)
  • $70 - ADATA SPX8200 256GB
    • M.2 SSD (new Primary drive)
  • $140 - Corsair Vengeance SODIMM kit
    • 2x 8GB 3200Mhz

But it hasn't replaced my 2014 MacBook Pro 13" in all the ways that I had hoped it would. I knew that I would continue to operate using both laptops for a while, but I'm finding that I use the MacBook Pro for tasks that the 9570 should be better suited for. What I've come to realize is that it its the tactile differences between the two that are irking me. Particularly:

• the trackpad - its just not as comfy as my MacBook's trackpad, especially since I use gestures so much
  • the fingerprint scanner - its nice to have but it takes SO LONG to register
  • the bottom chassis - its soft, and it just feels unpleasant to me (it could be a 'me' thing though)

Performance-wise, this is a dream. Price-wise, its been a dream come true. But as a daily driver, I find it similar to sitting in the backseat of your own car - no matter how comfortable I am inside the actual vehicle, it still feels alien.

Are there any other options out there that I should look at which use the i5 8300H? I figured you all would know best.

❤️❤️

The iGPU model is actually a decent buy since it has less heat output, therefore eliminate the thermal issue (you will still can throttle the CPU, but can be tweaked). With excellent display quality and big battery (97Wh) too. Just be aware of other issues

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

The iGPU model is actually a decent buy since it has less heat output, therefore eliminate the thermal issue (you will still can throttle the CPU, but can be tweaked). With excellent display quality and big battery (97Wh) too. Just be aware of other issues

Oh for sure, it's hella rad.

I was alllll over the web trying to parse out the issues I would have with it. But after a while with it at the bench its an amazing workhorse - especially with the eGPU connection. You're spot on with the thermal thing, too. I'll leave this guy plugged in for hours training models and it keeps cool to the touch. The fact that it does so while rocking last-gen top-shelf specs blows my mind.