Dell G5 vs G7 Which Best For Gaming?

Kimmich

What are the differences between the Dell G5 gaming laptop and the G7? A lot of you have asked me this question, and as I’ve finished reviewing both I can now answer, so let’s compare these two laptops, dell G5 vs G7 and help you pick the right one.

First let’s check out the differences in specs I’ve got here, as both laptops can be configured quite differently. I’ve got the highest specced G5 and G7 here. In my G5 I’ve got the Intel i7-8750H CPU, while the G7 has the i9-8950HK.

Dell-G5-vs-G7-PUBG.jpg.d3e6af606cc3a7aecac7f67926d9eb88.jpg

Both are 6 core CPUs, but the i9 has higher clock speeds and can also be overclocked, but they’re also available with i5 or i7 CPUs. Only the G7 gets the i9, so if you want the i9 it’s your only option, but as you’ll see soon the i9 might not be worth it.

As for graphics both laptops the have Nvidia 1060 Max-Q, but the G5 can also be configured with the 1050Ti or 1050 instead, and they both also have the same 15.6”1080p 60Hz IPS panel but have a 4K option too.

For network connectivity both have gigabit ethernet ports, support for 802.11ac WiFi, and Bluetooth version 5. Both laptops have a very similar matte black metallic design, the G5 has red accenting all around it while the G7 has blue, although the G7 is also available in white.

Physically there are only a few small differences, as you’ll soon see. As for the size differences they’re exactly the same in both width, depth, and height, so I guess they’re using the same chassis as they look very similar.

Dell-G5-vs-G7-Graphics-.jpg

They weigh about the same too at around 2.8kg, and then 3.5kg with the 180 watt power bricks included. The I/O on the left hand side is exactly the same in both laptops, there’s a Noble lock slot, the power input, gigabit ethernet port, USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A port, and SD card slot.

The right is exactly the same too, there’s a 3.5mm audio combo jack, two USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A ports, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port with Thunderbolt 3 support, and HDMI 2.0 output.

Personally I don’t think there’s enough difference between them and would just go the G5, unless you really either wanted the white option or slightly nicer overall design with the G7 or to videoget the i9 CPU, as that’s not an option with the G5, although as we saw in most cases it doesn’t really perform much better than the i7 outside of single threaded workloads.

I can see why so many people asked about the differences between the G5 and G7 as they’re very similar, hopefully this comparison has helped you see that the differences are pretty minor.

So which of these two laptops would you guys pick? Should buy Dell G5 or G7?

If the best graphics card you can get is a 1060, the extra CPU horsepower of the i9 won't really take you as far in gaming. If that's your priority, then the G5 will have mich better value.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 hours ago, Kimmich said:

What are the differences between the Dell G5 gaming laptop and the G7?

Basically aesthetics and price

Only limited to these 2 options? They have low sRGB FHD IPS display which looks terrible to some ppl

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128