Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Core i7 8700 in i3 7100 machine

Can we put a core i7 8700k in a core i3 7100 machine which has a gigabyte ga b250M DS3H motherboard do we need to change the motherboard or is there any cheap motherboard like under $100 doller which can support both i3 7100 and i7 8700k?

 

Thank You. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No you can't i7 8700k is coffee lake (8th Gen) which uses B360 or Z370 chipset motherboards. The i3 is kaby lake (7th gen) this works on Z170, Z270, B250 and B150 boards. Coffee lake boards are not backwards compatible with kaby lake, like kaby lake is with skylake.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Muhammad Humam Khan said:

Can we put a core i7 8700k in a core i3 7100 machine which has a gigabyte ga b250M DS3H motherboard do we need to change the motherboard or is there any cheap motherboard like under $100 doller which can support both i3 7100 and i7 8700k?

 

Thank You. 

Hello Muhammad,

 

Both CPU's support FCLGA1151 which means that it will work however, i3 doesn't support DDR4-2666.

Also the motherboard will work with them as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sky_shark_101 said:

No you can't i7 8700k is coffee lake (8th Gen) which uses B360 or Z370 chipset motherboards. The i3 is kaby lake (7th gen) this works on Z170, Z270, B250 and B150 boards. Coffee lake boards are not backwards compatible with kaby lake, like kaby lake is with skylake.

 

Support for 7th/6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processors/ Intel® Core™ i5 processors/ Intel® Core™ i3 processors/ Intel® Pentium®

Are you sure ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, White Armor said:

Hello Muhammad,

 

Both CPU's support FCLGA1151 which means that it will work however, i3 doesn't support DDR4-2666.

Also the motherboard will work with them as well.

The Core i 8th and 9th gen chips use what's internally known as 1151v2. The chipsets on this socket don't have any support for 6th and 7th gen CPUs. It's no longer the case where the socket designation is all you need to determine compatibility.

 

6 minutes ago, White Armor said:

Support for 7th/6th generation Intel® Core™ i7 processors/ Intel® Core™ i5 processors/ Intel® Core™ i3 processors/ Intel® Pentium®

Are you sure ?

Yes. Very sure.

 

It's clearly listed on the product pages as well.

 

For B250 (example is Asus B250-F):

 

Quote

Intel® Socket 1151 for 7th/6th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors

For B360:

 

Quote

Intel® Socket 1151 for 8th Generation Core Processors 

 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, sky_shark_101 said:

No you can't i7 8700k is coffee lake (8th Gen) which uses B360 or Z370 chipset motherboards. The i3 is kaby lake (7th gen) this works on Z170, Z270, B250 and B150 boards. Coffee lake boards are not backwards compatible with kaby lake, like kaby lake is with skylake.

 

The board I mentioned in my post supports 7th and 6th gen core processors. So isn't there's a board that supports 8th gen and 7th gen core processors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Muhammad Humam Khan said:

The board I mentioned in my post supports 7th and 6th gen core processors. So isn't there's a board that supports 8th gen and 7th gen xore processors?

No, there are no boards that support 6th/7th gen & the 8th gen. The best CPU that you should reasonably use with your motherboard is the i7-7700 or the i7-6700. No point in buying the "K" suffix CPUs since your board doesn't allow for overclocking anyway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The Core i 8th and 9th gen chips use what's internally known as 1151v2. The chipsets on this socket don't have any support for 6th and 7th gen CPUs. It's no longer the case where the socket designation is all you need to determine compatibility.

 

Yes. Very sure.

 

It's clearly listed on the product pages as well.

 

For B250 (example is Asus B250-F):

 

For B360:

 

 

You are right, I am sorry I have checked the wrong CPU on Intel official website.

When I looked at the 8700K it was showing 7th gen tho...

 

Keep up the good work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Muhammad Humam Khan said:

The board I mentioned in my post supports 7th and 6th gen core processors. So isn't there's a board that supports 8th gen and 7th gen core processors?

If you want to upgrade to use your 8700K you can grab this motherboard for around 100$ used will be cheaper MSI B360 Gaming Arctic also it will allow you to overclock as you have "K" processor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Muhammad Humam Khan said:

The board I mentioned in my post supports 7th and 6th gen core processors. So isn't there's a board that supports 8th gen and 7th gen core processors?

no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will I be get good performance in after effects in mid level animation and good level graphics designing performance in illustrator 2018 on i3 7100?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, White Armor said:

If you want to upgrade to use your 8700K you can grab this motherboard for around 100$ used will be cheaper MSI B360 Gaming Arctic also it will allow you to overclock as you have "K" processor.

Please, to get everything straight b and h series mobos can't overclock. You need a z series for that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Muhammad Humam Khan said:

Will I be get good performance in after effects in mid level animation and good level graphics designing performance in illustrator 2018 on i3 7100?  

You can still get an i7 7700 that should be enough for anyone to work professionally for a *start* at least.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You can still get an i7 7700 that should be enough for anyone to work professionally for a *start* at least.

You see i don't mind buying the 7700. In fact i would really love to get my hands on one but the thing is it costs about $300 to $350 translated to my country currency it for about between Rs. 40,000 to Rs. 60,000.....:'(

 

And that Rs. 40,000 is actually my budget to by my self a rig for gaming and working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×