Intel Xeon 1230 v3 at running at stock speed 3.3 Ghz

Asrock B85 Pro4

Nvidia PNY GTX 1080ti

16.0 GB DDR3 running at 1600 MHz

Cryorig H5 Ultimate cooler

LG 27UK650 4K monitor

Samsung 850 EVO 256 GB boot drive

650 W power supply

I use the system mainly for two things: editing photos as I am a working professional photographer and playing games at 4K.

For the editing part, the system runs OK but it's obviously not blazing fast. When I have large batches of photographs to process as I often do, CPU usage hits 100% and it does struggle a bit. How much faster would Ryzen 2700x be in this specific scenario?

When it comes to gaming I noticed that even though the GTX 1080ti should be enough to run games at 4K 60 fps with high details, sometimes I only hit 50 fps on average and the game play isn't the smoothest.

Would an upgrade to the Ryzen 2700X noticeably improve my FPS in games? Remember that I only want to achieve smooth 4K 60 fps frame rate.

Would it be better to wait until 2019 and the coming Ryzen 3 CPUs?

Thanks in advance!

13 minutes ago, Suedezu said:

Hi guys,

I currently have the following system:

Asrock B85 Pro4

Nvidia PNY GTX 1080ti

LG 27UK650 4K monitor

650 W power supply

I use the system mainly for two things: editing photos as I am a working professional photographer and playing games at 4K.

For the editing part, the system runs OK but it's obviously not blazing fast. When I have large batches of photographs to process as I often do, CPU usage hits 100% and it does struggle a bit. How much faster would Ryzen 2700x be in this specific scenario?

When it comes to gaming I noticed that even though the GTX 1080ti should be enough to run games at 4K 60 fps with high details, sometimes I only hit 50 fps on average and the game play isn't the smoothest.

Would an upgrade to the Ryzen 2700X noticeably improve my FPS in games? Remember that I only want to achieve smooth 4K 60 fps frame rate.

Thanks in advance!

My advice here is as always, If you can hold on wit your system right now then please do as in the next 6 months we are going to see some more major products released. If that is not the case then then realise you will most likely see quite an impressive uplift in performance. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ben, thanks for replying!

I can wait, I'm in no major hurry. By major products being released, do you refer to the the upcoming Ryzen 3 ?

18 minutes ago, Suedezu said:

Hi guys,

I currently have the following system:

Asrock B85 Pro4

Nvidia PNY GTX 1080ti

LG 27UK650 4K monitor

650 W power supply

Thanks in advance!

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v3-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/m2171vs3958

Its not the exact but it will give you a idea check youtube vids like xeon vs 2700x game fps 

performance boost will be there  as you running xeon on 1600 mhz ram

Ryzen 2700x will run with ddr4 3200 mhz ram

Which is faster and 2700x is a great cpu for gaming  

Quad vs octa lol 

I'd say go ahead with the upgrade. Get a quality X470 motherboard with that 2700X and you'll have a great experience. The next generation of Ryzen is likely to be around 8-10 months from now, so I wouldn't keep on struggling like this for that long. Time = money after all.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Suedezu said:

Ben, thanks for replying!

I can wait, I'm in no major hurry. By major products being released, do you refer to the the upcoming Ryzen 3 ?

No worries, The other option is to upgrade now and consider getting the new Ryzen3 if it offers enough of an uplift. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

In fact, I would wait until January as AMD is showing off Ryzen 3rd gen at CES 2019.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'd say go ahead with the upgrade. Get a quality X470 motherboard with that 2700X and you'll have a great experience. The next generation of Ryzen is likely to be around 8-10 months from now, so I wouldn't keep on struggling like this for that long. Time = money after all.

Hmmm, the thing is my system is not bottlenecked per se, but my Xeon starts to show it's age. I was interested in finding out how many FPs can I gain by getting a newer CPU and keeping my GTX1080ti?

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

In fact, I would wait until January as AMD is showing off Ryzen 3rd gen at CES 2019.

Great news! I will wait until January to see what the Ryzen 3 will offer compared to Ryzen 2.