What cable should I be getting for an external display?

cpugeek21

Hi, so I recently picked up a monitor with the help of some very kind forum members, and I'm running into a small issue.

To give some background information, I'm using a 3200 x 1800 QHD laptop with integrated Intel HD graphics 620, and the new monitor I got is 1920 x 1200. I intend on using the monitor as a secondary display and the only output I can use is the micro HDMI on my laptop. On my new monitor, the available connections are DisplayPort, mini DisplayPort, HDMI.

I initially did some research and many people said that DisplayPort is the better connection and to go for it, but later found out that DisplayPort cables seem to be more expensive. And I think I also wouldn't be able to get any benefits of DisplayPort over HDMI as well, since I'm limited by the resolution of my secondary monitor.

So, two questions. Would I be right to say that, since I can't get any benefits from the higher end DisplayPort cables, I should just call it a day and go for the HDMI alternative? Or are there benefits to using DisplayPort that I'm unclear of?

If it matters, it is just a secondary monitor. No speakers, no data transfer or Ethernet or anything. Simply just a secondary display.

Thanks!

As far as I know from personal experience HDMI is just enough. I've been using it for years without problem. But Display Port is a bit newer I think so there may be bebefits from it.

If you have a bit time you can read this article

@cpugeek21 For 60hz 1920x1200 go for a HDMI, when using anything higher than that or anything with a high refresh rate I'd personally only use DP. At home I have 3 monitors, 2 1080p ones I'm driving through HDMI / DVI and my 1440p 144hz that I'm driving with a DP cable.

8 minutes ago, iiMaagic said:

@cpugeek21 For 60hz 1920x1200 go for a HDMI, when using anything higher than that or anything with a high refresh rate I'd personally only use DP. At home I have 3 monitors, 2 1080p ones I'm driving through HDMI / DVI and my 1440p 144hz that I'm driving with a DP cable.

I see...I actually forgot to put in the monitor refresh rate for my external monitor so thanks for pointing that out. Quick question, because I'm not very knowledgeable with monitors. Do laptop monitors have refresh rates? If so, does the laptop screen's refresh rate matter? Or should I be concerned with only the external monitor's refresh rate?

5 minutes ago, cpugeek21 said:

I see...I actually forgot to put in the monitor refresh rate for my external monitor so thanks for pointing that out. Quick question, because I'm not very knowledgeable with monitors. Do laptop monitors have refresh rates? If so, does the laptop screen's refresh rate matter? Or should I be concerned with only the external monitor's refresh rate?

Yes, all monitors have a refresh rate. You only really need to worry about the external monitors refresh rate. The laptops built in screen should run native without any issues to what other monitors you're running as long as you don't duplicate the screens. Then it'll run at whatever the slower refresh rate is.

Just now, iiMaagic said:

Yes, all monitors have a refresh rate. You only really need to worry about the external monitors refresh rate. The laptops built in screen should run native without any issues to what other monitors you're running as long as you don't duplicate the screens. Then it'll run at whatever the slower refresh rate is.

I was going to edit my post, but you replied quicker than I typed. Thanks, but I got 1 last question, because I was searching around for cables. 1200 isn't a usually supported resolution, so what should I be looking out for when I do buy the cable? Should I be looking at the next "conventional" resolution (i.e. 1440)? In other words, should I be skipping those that only support max 1080?

5 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

DisplayPort is NOT more expensive (it depends on which version, length and premium) becasue you don't have to pay for a license

HDMI are more expensive because you have to pay the liscense and thus is not cheaper

Just go for HDMI, you'll be fine, there are no "real" issues for 1080p 60 fps with any cheap HDMI cable

I might be wrong, but from what I see, the displayport cables really are more expensive.

Alright, thanks. How about my last question that I asked in the post above? Do you know about this?

1920 x 1200 isn't a usually supported resolution, so what should I be looking out for when I do buy the cable? Should I be looking at the next "conventional" resolution (i.e. 1440)? In other words, should I be skipping those that only support max 1080?